Jello effect.

Reaction score
I have read dozens of articles and have tried to narrow it down. But I think after much work the effect is reduced but still there in parts.

I have balanced the props, much better. Checked the props attack angle across the body of the drone and within a mm they are level.

Took it out today for a test flight. It is better but still there in parts. If the drone is going into the wind, 12-16mph gusts today, it seems to happen more. I am going to download a video of the flight below but it does demonstrate how varied the problem is. At 1:24, 1:40 & 2:35 its quite noticeable. Yet if you goto 2:57-3.43 its quite still 5:51-6:18 the same. I dont think its the gimbal as the drone is rock steady when heli is still.

1280p 25fps Iso 100. Automatic set for clouds. That's more or less the settings.

Would increasing the frame rate help and say fitting a filter? CPL perhaps?

Suggestions welcomed.

Video below when its finished uploading.

yes increase the frame rate would help a lot.... try 1280p 50 0 60 fps depends if you are PAL or NTC... another good solution its use a ND4 or ND8 filter ...

1280p 25fps Iso 100. Automatic set for clouds. That's more or less the settings.
What shutter speed are you using when you use 25fps? Shutter speed should be about 2x your fps. If you cant do that without overexposing, then yes try a ND filter.

I have read dozens of articles and have tried to narrow it down. But I think after much work the effect is reduced but still there in parts.

I have balanced the props, much better. Checked the props attack angle across the body of the drone and within a mm they are level.

Took it out today for a test flight. It is better but still there in parts. If the drone is going into the wind, 12-16mph gusts today, it seems to happen more. I am going to download a video of the flight below but it does demonstrate how varied the problem is. At 1:24, 1:40 & 2:35 its quite noticeable. Yet if you goto 2:57-3.43 its quite still 5:51-6:18 the same. I dont think its the gimbal as the drone is rock steady when heli is still.

Would increasing the frame rate help and say fitting a filter? CPL perhaps?

Suggestions welcomed.

Video below when its finished uploading.

Frankc, Take a look at this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Its by Frederick Hagan and is very informative. Touches upon the info the guys have mentioned in your reply posts.

Thanks for that. What he says makes sense. Though for me its totally counter intuitive. Over the many years of doing photography I have always strived to get a crystal clear picture. It turns out then when your doing filming you need slightly blurry photos to get the motion effect rather than the strobe effect.

With a bit of luck I will be flying tomorrow to see what difference the removal of that bit of foam makes. It must have stopped the gimbal from moving and transmitted any vibrations into the gimbal.

After I have flown with the new free gimbal I will then try it with a filter or two,
So thanks for the video, it has proved very helpful and instructive.

I know exactly what you mean. I too had to change gears in my old SLR photography brain.

Since you were kind enough to put up that link I thought I would share something with you. After looking at, as I am sure you have done, lots and lots of videos , tutorials etc it strikes me there are basically two camps so to speak. Those that say go to a slow frame rate and get that motion blur and those that like crystal clear pictures on every frame. After thinking about it for some time, yep you could smell something burning, it occurred to me what those really clear 4k videos all have in common when produced. They are all going really quite slow. Going slow reduces the strobe effect quite a lot. Also if you go into settings and reduce the sharpness. I literally gave away a brand new £300 Sony camera because of the image quality. I now realise the pictures were too sharp. Giving them an unrealistic, unnatural look. Of course these drones have Sony Len's, which I am sure are very good quality, but do not give the best pictures. I have gone into settings and reduced the sharpness to -2. More research needs doing on my part I think.

So, hopefully, this afternoon I will put my money where my mouth is so to speak and put all this theory to the test. We will see. Just need calm winds and a bit of sunshine to put it to the test. :)

You need an ND filter (or filters) to slow your shutter speed way way down. Try getting a nd16 from DJI first. In my experience, nd4/8 doesn't help much for bright sunlight.

You need an ND filter (or filters) to slow your shutter speed way way down. Try getting a nd16 from DJI first. In my experience, nd4/8 doesn't help much for bright sunlight.

All ready got them. In my bag ready to try. Got a set of 4 from a fellow forum member. But I wanted to sort out the Jello before using the Filters. I just knew that there was something wrong and it should not be behaving like that. Turns out (for a change) I was right. I feel sure now that bit of foam has gone it will fly and photograph better.

Thanks for the reply though Garrie. :)

Reactions: Garrie
@Frankc. Yep I see the "Rolling Shutter" Aka "Jello".
The nd filters will allow you to lower your shutter speeds to help. I am using the settings Frederick showed in his video (with nd4) and working from there. I have changed the settings a little for more vibrant color as I am not currently doing any tweaks In Post to vids.

Reactions: BigRob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers