Jello effect, what's wrong?

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I've been using my Phantom 3P since I got a replacement back in 9th of September and didn't have any problem with the camera having a jello effect. Yesterday (10-12-15) went out flying for weeks of idle due to the weather in Alaska and when I played the shots in my pc, I noticed a bad jello effect on the video. is there anyone had this issue before? I've been using to film my unit before with no problem but suddenly yesterday, I have that problem. any thoughts guys? Thank you for your inputs in advance.

Did you forget to remove the gimbal clamp? Was it knocked around during the weeks of being idle? Do you have a damaged prop?

Hello Guys, I've been using my Phantom 3P since I got a replacement back in 9th of September and didn't have any problem with the camera having a jello effect. Yesterday (10-12-15) went out flying for weeks of idle due to the weather in Alaska and when I played the shots in my pc, I noticed a bad jello effect on the video. is there anyone had this issue before? I've been using to film my unit before with no problem but suddenly yesterday, I have that problem. any thoughts guys? Thank you for your inputs in advance.

Are you still shooting the same resolution as previous?
If you went from 1080P to 2.7K or 4K then the computer you are using to replay may be the issue.

Did you forget to remove the gimbal clamp? Was it knocked around during the weeks of being idle? Do you have a damaged prop?
The foam at the top back of the gimbal was removed when I unpacked the unit and the gimbal clamp was the first one to come off from the machine as part of my pre-flight check. Been had prior videos since I got the machine last 9th of September and there's no problem at all. I reviewed all the videos and just saw the jello effect on this flight.

Are you still shooting the same resolution as previous?
If you went from 1080P to 2.7K or 4K then the computer you are using to replay may be the issue.
The cam was same setting as the prior videos. set at 1080P at 30fps. I've checked the machine and I didn't see something that will cause the camera to vibrate. I have a good balance props as well. Checked motor mounts all screw that holds the motor are good. wind at 7 MPH at the time of the shooting but that shouldn't be the reason at all cause I've done flights that's more stronger wind at 25 MPH and didn't had that jello effect problem before. I also checked the set screw that secure the camera bracket into the shaft and it is tight. in short, I've thoroughly check the machine mechanically but didn't see something that will create the problem. I have already send DJI a message in regards. for the meantime, I will do a gimbal calibration and test and see.. weather from where I am isn't really cooperating at all for outside flying. so it will be a wait until we can see the Sun again...

Check the rubber mounts going from the gimbal to the mounting plate. Make sure they are properly installed and have good play with no interference. Other than that, flying sideways against the wind can cause that. Also, clear your SD card's memory... or try another.

Check the rubber mounts going from the gimbal to the mounting plate. Make sure they are properly installed and have good play with no interference. Other than that, flying sideways against the wind can cause that. Also, clear your SD card's memory... or try another.
Hi Dr. Joe, The SD card was formatted with the app before the flight. The white rubber was good (cause I inspected it when I saw the issue while viewing it in my pc). and it was a forward flight when the jello effect was noticed. BTW, The machine never had an impact in handling or even a rough landing cause I always hand catch it everytime. I will do more testing when weather is ideal for flying.

Were you using an ND Filter?

You will need an ND filter when filming in bright light or you will experience jello effects in you video.
Hi Bob, I will definitely do that. I just received my polar pro's filters. I will put them on in the next flight when weather's permits. I will keep you and drjoe posted. Thanks.

You can do a simple check by hovering near you. Look at the camera and see if it is vibrating/oscillatin/shaking - you should see it. Now grab the leg and this will transfer the vibration to your arm and stop the vibration. If this is the case then I reckon you have a bad gain setting or a prop out of balance.

Check your gain settings > MC setting > Gain and Expo Tuning > (scroll down) Gain > Tell us what you have.
If these are not default, they will oscillate the camera and cause jello.

The other thing that I could think of is bad dampeners. It could be torn or not installed properly. Inspect them and replace with the spares they supplied.

Reactions: Aquarius4058
You can do a simple check by hovering near you. Look at the camera and see if it is vibrating/oscillatin/shaking - you should see it. Now grab the leg and this will transfer the vibration to your arm and stop the vibration. If this is the case then I reckon you have a bad gain setting or a prop out of balance.

Check your gain settings > MC setting > Gain and Expo Tuning > (scroll down) Gain > Tell us what you have.
If these are not default, they will oscillate the camera and cause jello.

The other thing that I could think of is bad dampeners. It could be torn or not installed properly. Inspect them and replace with the spares they supplied.
Hi Mako, Dampeners are good. inspected them, they are on properly and no tear. The props are tuned and balanced good (it is to the point that it doesn't swing in any position on my Dubro balancer) and when it's hovering and I touched or lightly hold the landing gear just to feel if there is a vibration and I can't feel any. its just solid. I didn't hover and observe the camera yet to see if it is moving or oscillating. I will do that when weather permit. and I will also check the gain setting. if I remember it right, gain setting are as follows. Throttle at 40%, yaw at 30% and forward/ side at 40%. are these the gain setting you are referring to? Thank you.

Hi Mako, Dampeners are good. inspected them, they are on properly and no tear. The props are tuned and balanced good (it is to the point that it doesn't swing in any position on my Dubro balancer) and when it's hovering and I touched or lightly hold the landing gear just to feel if there is a vibration and I can't feel any. its just solid. I didn't hover and observe the camera yet to see if it is moving or oscillating. I will do that when weather permit. and I will also check the gain setting. if I remember it right, gain setting are as follows. Throttle at 40%, yaw at 30% and forward/ side at 40%. are these the gain setting you are referring to? Thank you.
No. Those are your EXPO settings. That adjust stick sensitivity. Scroll down more and there should be gains. All 4 parameters should all be 100 on default.

Hi Mako, I check the sensitivity settings and Attitude at 100%, Brake at 100% and Yaw was at 150%.
For the gain settings, all four settings are at 100%. are those okay? Thank you.

No more jello effect. I changed the sd card and did not have issue with jello effect now. Thank you guys.

¿ Can anyone explain that? Why would an SD card affect jello?

No more jello effect. I changed the sd card and did not have issue with jello effect now. Thank you guys.

I have no idea but it works for me. it may have something to do with the system writing on the sd card at the time of my problem.

tumblr_nozbavrxe51ro8ysbo1_500.gif First time I have heard that one-- but that's good if it solved the problem--

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj