I've used search and need more info - bird side antenna mods

Reaction score
After searching, I'm not finding any new discussions on this hence my post.

Most of the info I am finding is from 2015 or early 2016.

With the past 6-12 months of testing, trial/error, experience, product releases, failures, achievements, etc....

What are some worthwhile mod options I should look at to get more distance?

I already modded my controller with the DBS ITELITE antenna and the Silver Sunhans Amps.

I got 13000+ feet and feel I could get more with practice, time and different locations. But to get more range, and more stable connections should I actually want to make a left or right turn 2 miles out; how to I get a better and stronger signal?
I'm thinking the answer is bird side antenna mod.

But is it worth it? Worth the money spent? Worth the weight, aerodynamic interference, and potential reduced flight time?

What setups are working well? Any not working well?

I am thinking some type of wire coil type 2.4 and 5.8 antenna that is not too long so it's not sticking out too far causing wind obstruction or too heavy. But what should I look for? High dbi? Brand?

Any help, advice, or suggestions appreciated!

There are several threads going you might find interesting .Here's one Official P3 Range Leaderboard

Thanks dirkclod. Whenever I see your posts I know I'm reading quality information. I appreciate your contributions.

I've been reading through that thread quite a bit and still find myself needing more answers. Maybe it's there and I am missing it? Maybe I'm looking for some new answer not yet found.

Seems the fpvlr diapoles are the way to go? What are the alternatives? Are diapole antennas in general the best thing for the bird side?

Also, I only see the 2.4 fpvlr diapole for the P3S. What 5.8 is optimal?

Thanks but since I started lots have went way beyond what I have ever done and you saw them in that thread .
After all I have tried with my P2's and now P3's I just use itelite panels unboosted . I was using FPVLR's but went away from them . Had the 2.4
dipoles from tony still on my Standard till one broke the other day in flight so just going back stock with it .
The panels give me all I can get without doing a battery mod which I'm not . Leaving those to this younger braver bunch of fellows .
dirtybum and a few others are the ones you want to watch as they try everything .
Now as far as the dipoles being the best really depends on what you have on your TX. Tony makes some just for the panel .
I'm no antenna expert by any means but you do have to match what you have on your bird to the TX .
Location is everything and I can get 3 miles with my standard and did go 4 miles with my P3 4K just with the panel .
Not enough gas to go farther . Now they have a bigger panel if you use amps that you gonna need to do a battery mod to get it out
as far as it can go .

On the remote side for range only , the way to go for the 5.8ghz is 10 turn (or more) Helical Antenna with an amp.

For the video 2.4ghz flat panels are enough imo.

Same on the Bird, 5.8ghz recivers dont really need any mods, the real problem are the 2.4ghz panels that arent bad, just positioned for short flights, you might want to move one to the back of the bird, pointing right back at you. I guess you can also install an extra amp for that one, but taht means that youll also need a source of power.

image.jpeg
Thanks but since I started lots have went way beyond what I have ever done and you saw them in that thread .
After all I have tried with my P2's and now P3's I just use itelite panels unboosted . I was using FPVLR's but went away from them . Had the 2.4
dipoles from tony still on my Standard till one broke the other day in flight so just going back stock with it .
The panels give me all I can get without doing a battery mod which I'm not . Leaving those to this younger braver bunch of fellows .
dirtybum and a few others are the ones you want to watch as they try everything .
Now as far as the dipoles being the best really depends on what you have on your TX. Tony makes some just for the panel .
I'm no antenna expert by any means but you do have to match what you have on your bird to the TX .
Location is everything and I can get 3 miles with my standard and did go 4 miles with my P3 4K just with the panel .
Not enough gas to go farther . Now they have a bigger panel if you use amps that you gonna need to do a battery mod to get it out
as far as it can go .

Interesting thought. I did not realize I had to pair the antenna on the TX with the bird antenna?

Attaching photo of my TX setuo

If you go with Tony's spirals then you need these
What I learned from these other guys that helped me the most was holding the TX really steady . I mean they use tripods .
I just sit mine on my lap but that got me more distance believe it or not .

If you go with Tony's spirals then you need these
What I learned from these other guys that helped me the most was holding the TX really steady . I mean they use tripods .
I just sit mine on my lap but that got me more distance believe it or not .

I figured I could hold my controller more steady. I'll definitely be trying that.
Part of my goal is to get good distance without having to hold steady like a tripod. If possible.

Looks like if I have a panel tx antenna I need that "t" shaped bird antenna design, and if I have helical on tx then bird needs a straight antenna?

On the remote side for range only , the way to go for the 5.8ghz is 10 turn (or more) Helical Antenna with an amp.

For the video 2.4ghz flat panels are enough imo.

Same on the Bird, 5.8ghz recivers dont really need any mods, the real problem are the 2.4ghz panels that arent bad, just positioned for short flights, you might want to move one to the back of the bird, pointing right back at you. I guess you can also install an extra amp for that one, but taht means that youll also need a source of power.

I've ready about relocating those internal patch antennas. Does this usually give more gain on video? It does seem I lose video before control. Bigger problem is I lose my video long range out and can't get it back until I'm like five feet away. Obviously I have control the whole way though. Kind of annoying.

Thing is, when you're doing long runs, you get tired of holding the controller, especially when it gets modded with heavy antennas and amps. So you might want to rethink the idea of not using a tripod. A table might work too but not as well.

Aiming is also extremely important. If you're not willing to use a tripod to aim, you will find yourself frustrated with range, regardless of what mods you do.

Bird side, antennas will add to the drag as well as the weight, so that's the trade off. It would be nice if we had a best mod manual but it's an evolving scene which makes it more fun.

IMO, you really need to learn about antennas and polarity. From there you can make decisions on what routes to pursue to achieve your goals. Who knows, maybe you will be the one to dream up the next best bird-side antenna scheme.

Reactions: Procharged97
Thing is, when you're doing long runs, you get tired of holding the controller, especially when it gets modded with heavy antennas and amps. So you might want to rethink the idea of not using a tripod. A table might work too but not as well.

Aiming is also extremely important. If you're not willing to use a tripod to aim, you will find yourself frustrated with range, regardless of what mods you do.

Bird side, antennas will add to the drag as well as the weight, so that's the trade off. It would be nice if we had a best mod manual but it's an evolving scene which makes it more fun.

IMO, you really need to learn about antennas and polarity. From there you can make decisions on what routes to pursue to achieve your goals. Who knows, maybe you will be the one to dream up the next best bird-side antenna scheme.

I'll research polarity some more with antennas. That I am not familiar with.
My controller is loaded up pretty well, but not killing me to hold for 20-40 min. I'm sure it could be more stable but for my typical flights I don't want to carry and/or setup a tripod.

I just may have the next best idea. :)

One thing I was wondering was if we can change the wifi "handshake" through code to be asynchronous instead of synchronous. May act more like lightbridge and would possibly not drop so easily and for so long?

Reactions: PeterWhiteVoices
Probably would hurt range

Google

Oh wow. That's actually neat. I don't think I'll use it any time soon but I'll keep in mind if I'm doing some pond or swamp low altitude flights.

Last week I was buzzing out to the Atlantic about a mile or two off the coast. This thing would do me no good if I had ditched in the ocean.

It seems the near term DIY I'm considering and researching is relocating the 2.4 patch antennas bird side.

If I understand correctly, the bird side 5.8's in the legs work pretty well as is; and the area for improvement is with video reception. I do notice I lose video first and always have problem getting it back. Would moving the patch antennas to front and back help with this? I rarely fly sideways. Or does the patch antenna broadcast horizontally to the sides in which the horizontal signal from antenna crosses its path for connectivity?

Trying to understand this handshake.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub