It's official, We are now legal. Woohoo!

Reaction score
Well folks it's official. We are now officially a legal Drone Imaging company here in Utah. I thought I would take the time to say hello and introduce ourselves. Our company is Section 333 exempt and we are registered in the state of Utah under Utah Drone Imaging, Insured with an FAA Certified pilot. We are still finding where in the industry we are needed the most but we are ready to go. Any ideas that you might have, we are more than willing to listen.

Congratulations.
From your website:
"We have also received a comprehensive FAA Certificate of Authorization (COA) for commercial, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) flights. The COA provides for pre-approved authorization to shoot drone aerials under 400′ without the need to apply for permission in advance"
Not sure what this means, would you mind explaining? Is this required in addition to the 333? Thought COAs were for public agencies...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now enjoy the fun of sales..... Ps. How much total did you end up spending ?
lol, for what part? Website? Insurance? Licensing or the 333 Exemptions? after the phantom 3's and the inspire 1's and everything else I am around $12k and the exemptions just take time.

Congratulations.
From your website:
"We have also received a comprehensive FAA Certificate of Authorization (COA) for commercial, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) flights. The COA provides for pre-approved authorization to shoot drone aerials under 400′ without the need to apply for permission in advance"
Not sure what this means, would you mind explaining? Is this required in addition to the 333? Thought COAs were for public agencies...
actually that is a misprint I need to fix. It's 200' and over 5 miles away from an airport require no additional tasks. anything over 400' or closer to an airport we have to file a flight plan with the local FSDO and communicate it with the tower. All our birds are registered and have N numbers on them and we have to treat it like we would a small plane if we are to go over those regulations.

Right, the 333 requires no COA, that's a completely separate rule for public agencies to operate UAVs as they cannot apply for a 333. Thought the rules changed on me. I'm in AZ and hope to get my 333 in Sept.

lol, for what part? Website? Insurance? Licensing or the 333 Exemptions? after the phantom 3's and the inspire 1's and everything else I am around $12k and the exemptions just take time.
Wow, I only have one P3P and just did a spreadsheet, $ 3,800 w/ insurance.

Wow, I only have one P3P and just did a spreadsheet, $ 3,800 w/ insurance.
We wanted 2 of each so if one is in for repair we can still take jobs. I am hoping it is not all for nothing and we get the work to pay for it all. I want to start into other fields like agriculture and more.

Right, the 333 requires no COA, that's a completely separate rule for public agencies to operate UAVs as they cannot apply for a 333. Thought the rules changed on me. I'm in AZ and hope to get my 333 in Sept.
I do think all 333 exemption holders also need a COA (not just public agencies), it's just that a blanket COA has been issued that is valid for all 333 holders. If one needs to fly outside the parameters of the COA, but still within their 333 restrictions, they can apply for a flight specific COA. The blanket COA that applies to all 333 exemption holders can be found here: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82245

I do think all 333 exemption holders also need a COA (not just public agencies), it's just that a blanket COA has been issued that is valid for all 333 holders. If one needs to fly outside the parameters of the COA, but still within their 333 restrictions, they can apply for a flight specific COA. The blanket COA that applies to all 333 exemption holders can be found here: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82245
Well stated TAZ. yes the COA is great because most of our work can be done at or below 200' but it is nice to know we can use the exemptions to work at higher altitudes.

All right. I thought I read that somewhere. The COA is implied in the 333.

Luis - All flights require a COA. This is from your Terms and Conditions:
21. Air Traffic Organization (ATO) Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA). All operations shall be conducted in accordance with an ATO-issued COA. The exemption holder may apply for a new or amended COA if it intends to conduct operations that cannot be conducted under the terms of the attached COA.​
The blanket 200 ft COA comes with your 333 exemption, so that's where the confusion may arise.

Utah - the exemption is for the operator or business. You only need one for all qualifying aircraft.

Luis - All flights require a COA. This is from your Terms and Conditions:
21. Air Traffic Organization (ATO) Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA). All operations shall be conducted in accordance with an ATO-issued COA. The exemption holder may apply for a new or amended COA if it intends to conduct operations that cannot be conducted under the terms of the attached COA.​
The blanket 200 ft COA comes with your 333 exemption, so that's where the confusion may arise.

Utah - the exemption is for the operator or business. You only need one for all qualifying aircraft.
Yeah, thanks. I read that before. Just considered it as included in the 333 unlike Public agencies COA. But thanks for keeping me straight.

Yes, That's what we understood as well. As I understand it, the COA authorizes us to perform our duties without needing to file any flight plans or get special permissions as long as our duties fall under the COA regulations. Anything outside the COA we need to follow the 333 exemptions.

Any recommendations on obtaining number 4, FAA airman certificate? Has anyone went through the process? I was just looking into how someone would obtain a 333 exemption. This is the only hurdle I saw that I was not sure what the process or exact requirements are.

FAA website states:
What are the main requirements needed for me to operate an unmanned aircraft or drone for my business?
A. You will need:

1. a Section 333 grant of exemption,
  2. a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA),
  3. an aircraft registered with the FAA, and
  4. a pilot with an FAA airman certificate

Any recommendations on obtaining number 4, FAA airman certificate? Has anyone went through the process? I was just looking into how someone would obtain a 333 exemption. This is the only hurdle I saw that I was not sure what the process or exact requirements are.

FAA website states:
What are the main requirements needed for me to operate an unmanned aircraft or drone for my business?
A. You will need:

1. a Section 333 grant of exemption,
  2. a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA),
  3. an aircraft registered with the FAA, and
  4. a pilot with an FAA airman certificate
Yep either you will have to:

1. Get a pilots license
2. Hire a pilot
3. Get a partner who has a pilot license​

There is no way around it.

Yep either you will have to:

1. Get a pilots license
2. Hire a pilot
3. Get a partner who has a pilot license​

There is no way around it.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if this would change once the new "Small UAS NPRM" rules pass? The overview document for operator certification requirement states, a aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA approved testing center would be required but I don't see anything about pilots license.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if this would change once the new "Small UAS NPRM" rules pass? The overview document for operator certification requirement states, a aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA approved testing center would be required but I don't see anything about pilots license.

According to the FAA Rule-making office a month ago they said they are considering a UAS certification like the "Sport Pilot Certification" they already have. You will have to prove that you understand basic aeronautical knowledge and pass a test. I am not sure but I think they will also require you to have UAS Flight Time just like their current FAA requirements for any other licensing.

From another thread on this forum - I don't know how to link to a specific posting, so here's a waste of bandwidth:

Part 107 rules will create a new class of FAA pilot certificate specific to flight under Part 107 rules. This operator certificate would be obtained with a written test. You can expect to pay a Flight Instructor to verify your citizenship ($50 to $100), and a testing center to administer the test ($150-$300). The Flight Instructor or FSDO needs to verify your citizenship because apparently the Test Center personnel are too stupid to look at your passport to verify that you are a US citizen. In reality, CFI's have received Homeland Security training that makes the CFI acceptable to verify your ID. I don't know why the Test Center personnel couldn't also do this training. After all, these are the same testing centers that administer the written tests for other FAA certifications and Homeland Security personnel. All total, your UAS Operator's Certificate will cost between $300 to $500. None of which goes to the Federal Government.

There is no schedule of when to expect Part 107 final rules to be released and adopted. Late next year would be fast. My bet would be on early 2017, but that is still Bureaucratic light-speed for any rulemaking process that normally takes many years. Section 333 exemptions are valid for one year, so most Section 333 holders will have to petition for an extension at least once. Part 107 rules will make Section 333 exemptions obsolete and the FAA would be unlikely to renew them after Part 107 is finalized.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl