It's been asked, but here is my situation

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a complete newbie and am trying to decide which Phantom to purchase. I am not much of a DIY and don't really want o be drilling holes or soldering wires. I am looking at this as a recreational use but am kinda of a video/picture snob.

I bought a Hero 3+ black over Christmas with the idea of getting the Phantom 2 w/gimbal, etc etc.

As with any purchase I make just as I was about to hit purchase and they announce the 2v+ which has what I think is everything I want: Quad, Camera, FPV. Buying the 2v+ appeals to me as it's ready out of the box but I don't want to be disappointed with the camera. I have seen the demos on Youtube and it appears the quality is as good or at least pretty darn close to that of a gopro?

I am leaning towards the P2V+, am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks for the help!

I'm a relative newbie as well, but I'm full-time photographer so video and image quality count a lot in my book. If you want simplicity and don't care so much about image quality or upgradeability, I'd go for the p2v+...

If you don't mind about 20 min of simple soldering, and the potential to upgrade cameras and gimbal control in the future, I'd go with the p2 with the latest 3 axis gimbal.

Choosing the right FPV set up is not that hard and for me at least, it was fun and informative, learning about it all. There are several set-ups that are proven and tons of people love. The IRC/ fat shark set-ups seem to wrk for everyone. My 1.3 ghz set up is a little unconventional for a phantom 2, but it works awesomely, and I love it. I also have a new Futaba radio controller on the way to be able to customize a lot of flight and camera control characteristics that you probably can't with the p2v+

my .02
Good luck! It's a lot of fun.

Mike is right about all that, and I think the decision here will just come down to how you feel about what the new P2V+ camera can produce in comparison to the GoPro...and I'd suggest waiting a bit to try to make that judgement, just in case the P2V+ camera turns out to be a dud or have some other deficiency that hasn't been widely noted yet.

If I understand correctly, there is no set up like the v2+ where as you can control the camera from the ground. The limited videos I have seen appear to be on par with the Gopro's...?? I like the ability to control the camera and camera angle from the ground..no?

I appreciate the help!

With all the typical p2 zenmuse set ups that I've seen, you can control the up and down movement of the go pro (pitch), but you can't really control the settings while in flight. It's either on or off and the setting you leave the ground with is the setting you film with until you land and change it manually. For most people, that seems to be fine. I think there is a mode on the GPB3+ where you can shoot vid and pics at the same time.

With another non- oem radio controller, i.e. a futaba, or some other radio, you can program in slower movements on the gimbal, or even slower movement on the flight controls (yaw, roll etc) to make filming smoother than you can with the stock controller.. Search the phantom 2 thread for futaba 8fg 14sg for info on that. Its a long, but very educational thread. Really opens up some possibilities for incredible filming.

I'd agree with OI Photography too. I wouldn't put down $$ for a p2v+ until I've seen some customer video and heard a little about how it all works from people who own it and not just the DJI propaganda..

Ok so since I already own the Gopro 3+ black, I should get the P2 with the Zenmuse Gimbal and what do I need for FPV to a phone/tablet? Don't think I would like the goggles....

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

Video is more important to me then Photos so I guess the Gopro 3+ wins there. Though I really would like the FPV to my galaxy note 3....

Shopping list:

DJI Phantom 2
Zenmuse 3axis Gimbal
FPV Solution?

Is it the IODmini that provides the overlay on the FPV with altitude and home waypoint?

FPV to a tablet is possible I'm pretty sure, but i'm not an expert on that. Try googling it. The typical way to go is FpV to a small monitor that mounts to your Radio controller.. The monitors don't cost that much. A whole FPV set up can be 3-500$.. or more if you want..

Personally, I would get your P2 with the gimbal.. Learn to fly without mounting the gimbal for a couple days, so you don't risk crashing anything and damage.. Then, when comfortable, mount the gimbal and camera and fly without FPV for a bit, keeping everything in line of sight (LOS), and close by.. You can get some great, fun filming in without FPV.

In the mean time, research your needs for FPV and what's out on the market and pros/cons.. I fly almost everyday, but haven't made many vids yet. Waiting for the snow to melt!.. but here is one without FPV, a week or so after I got my P2Z back in February, https://vimeo.com/87333326

It's easy to crash and burn in the beginning, or become disoriented when flying at first, depending on factors like which way the P2 is oriented (is it going away from you, or facing you, etc, controller directions are then reversed) ..Open space is your friend! These things are super durable and I've not crashed mine yet, but I've also eased into it.. I'd give it at least 2 weeks of flying without FPV before jumping in to sending it out to more than 2-300 meters.. lol.

Awesome! Taking your advise....thanks.....so how do you keep your orientation? the part of FPV that I liked the most was not flying via FPV but the overlay with the home waypoint :)

FPv is a blast and filming and transitioning into shots gets really smooth. I just watched the video i posted for the first time since I got FPV, and I will say, my filming and flying has vastly improved.. Fun to look back tho..

I would still start off tho w/o fpv until you are feeling good with the sticks and no how react quickly when you need to. Learn how to initiate failsafe and Return to home FS and RTH) They are your friends. lol

Look for posts/threads here on the DJI ground station.. It's new I believe, but you should be able to find out a lot more. I've not gotten into that yet, but sounds fun. Just hit go, and watch the screen!

With FPV on a P2 + Zenmuse, using a tablet or phone will only work if your device has an input for regular composite video (remember the RCA connections on your VCR? like that). The type of FPV transmitter/receiver you would use outputs the signal on the ground end via those standard (but old) connectors. Like most, I have those feeding a basic display monitor attached to my controller.

And you are correct that the iOSD is the device which inserts (overlays) the flight data in to the video feed and allows you to see battery level, height, heading, etc on your display.

EDIT: I just saw you asked about the GS too. It'll work with the P2, but probably not the P2V+...it will allow you to control the Phantom via an iPad (no android or iPhone) or a PC. You can either control the Phantom in real-time, or by creating missions in advance that it runs without your input once they start. However to be clear, the groundstation will not show the FPV video feed....though it will show much of the same flight info the iOSD mini does.

Honestly if you are concerned about very good video and photo quality, i would skip the phantom altogether. Go Pro's arent that wonderful for either. They are decent for size/weight, but their quality falls apart (even in cineform mode) compared to what you can get out of micro 4/3 sensor hybrids. Photos from Gopro's quickly fall apart when blown up. The lenses arent very good.

The phantoms are very easy to work with, but you are very limited by its carrying capacity.

thall17 said:
Video is more important to me then Photos so I guess the Gopro 3+ wins there. Though I really would like the FPV to my galaxy note 3....

Shopping list:

DJI Phantom 2
Zenmuse 3axis Gimbal
FPV Solution?

Is it the IODmini that provides the overlay on the FPV with altitude and home waypoint?

Get the P2V+ and save yourself the time, expense, and hassle of upgrading

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers