Its a guy thing

Reaction score
So my mom is in town this weekend and yesterday decided to fly Black Star Canyon. Took my mom, sister, niece and my GF. I launch the Phantom, and after briefly giving my sisters instructions on how to use the controller I handed my sister the RC. Good thing I had the altitude up to about 125', because as im looking up at the Phantom, I noticed it dropping pretty fast. My sister said, "the control stick seems a little stuck". She had the left stick all the way down....ie, kill motor command! Quickly put the stick to center and all was ok.

Afterwards, she said "meh, not really into flying this thing. It must be a guy thing". Funny thing is, my GF said the same exact thing! Anybody out there whose wife, gf, daughter or mother say the same thing? Maybe theyre right! lol

She had the left stick all the way down....ie, kill motor command!
That will only kill the motors if your Phantom stops descending for 3-5 seconds. Only a CSC will kill the motors mid-fight.

She had the left stick all the way down....ie, kill motor command! Quickly put the stick to center and all was ok.
That's the normal descent method.
DJI design engineers wouldn't make the usual method of descending kill the motors.
If they did, they would put a huge warning in the manual and none of us would keep our Phantoms more than a day or two.

The lock on the left stick is designed to aid in descending. You can use it to bring her down. If you do not like it, you can easily bend it or remove it from the TX completely. The only way to kill the motors mid flight is if you use a CSC. Combination Stick Command is used for shutting down the motors after you land the quad or in flight emergencies where killing the motors is the only way to avoid catastrophe.

Ok, left stick all the way down doesnt kill motors. I see! But back to the question... does anybody elses wife, gf, daughter or mother also say this hobby is a guy thing?

Ok, left stick all the way down doesnt kill motors. I see! But back to the question... does anybody elses wife, gf, daughter or mother also say this hobby is a guy thing?
My wife enjoys watching & helping me fly but she is to nervous to actually fly it. I'll turn her into an operator sooner or later. :D

Lucky you! My gf has absolutely no interest in flying, she just likes to go with me to take pictures of places we go to (nature, scenery etc.). My sister was pretty interested, but quickly lost interest when she flew it.

As most pilots know flying is not as easy as it looks. I let my bride, and kids fly my AirHog Millennium Falcon. That takes care of most of their needs to fly. My daughter is actually getting good at it, and she may move up to my SYMA X8.

Yup, she indulges me and watches the videos I make and looks at the pictures I take, but has zero interest in flying of the Quad. But she is very supportive of my hobbies; like I needed a cellular capable tablet yesterday and she gave the okay for an Ipad Air...

My wife asked and then flew my blade and and P3P today. She's determined to become a better pilot than me. She witnessed me clip a branch and take a drive into some missy woods while filming a creek shot on a hike. She's pretty competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: QuadBart

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic