It was my turn for a broken gimbal I guess

Reaction score
I have about 50 flights with this bird. I picked it up at the beginning of May and loved it. However, I ran into a little bit of a problem.

To be fair, I crashed a few weeks ago, so I just want to point this out. I clipped a branch from about 10 feet in the air and it landed on the pavement below. The shell was cracked on one of the arms.

I managed to repair the shell, but the gimbal was stuck at a 5 degree tilt.

I saw that the firmware was out of date, so I plugged it in and started the update. It finished and told me to power cycle, which I did. Then it happened. The gimbal started spinning violently out of control. I even recorded it, which you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i213LK2u4E

So my advice for those reading this is perhaps avoid the vision 2 plus. I don't really want to spend $800 on a new camera assembly when I can just buy a Phantom Vision 2 for about that or less.

My question to anyone on here is, can I replace the broken gimbal with that of the Phantom 2 Vision, with the GoPro camera and gimbal?

Thus far, everything else has seemed to have worked out so well. I even got a couple of flights with the new software today allowing for the base control. I loved it!

Dirty Bird said:
skylabz0rz said:
So my advice for those reading this is perhaps avoid the vision 2 plus.!

To be fair, you had 50 successful flights with your Vision+ before your incident. Why not advise the readers to avoid trees & crashing?

+1

thats the real issue, it worked fine for 50 flight then its the plusses fault you crashed into a tree ???

:roll:

I think what he's saying is, he crashed and it screwed up his gimbal 5 degrees. Then weeks later after a bunch of flights, a firmware update disabled his gimbal, made it wonky.

It sounds like he survived the crash, but not the firmware update.

jalpert said:
I think what he's saying is, he crashed and it screwed up his gimbal 5 degrees. Then weeks later after a bunch of flights, a firmware update disabled his gimbal, made it wonky.

It sounds like he survived the crash, but not the firmware update.

That's exactly what happened.

I hit the tree, it went down, my problem, totally take fault for hitting the tree and aside from a new top shell and props, the main body of the Phantom did rather well. However, the gimbal was stuck at 5 degree tilt for a while. I could live with it, and I had an email into DJI to their US Support Team. The email went unanswered, as did the 2nd email.

I updated the firmware and then the gimbal went screwy. I tried to re-calibrate it, but it overheated before it could finish. I stuck it in the freezer for 10 minutes and it made it past one advanced calibration, but that's it, and it still is going awol.

Does the magnetic compass have any link to the gimbal? I could try to recalibrate the compass I suppose.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik