It must be a flying fish

Reaction score
After a long stressful week I can now tell the story Ive been dreading.
Was At the lake flying my P3 filming a drunk friend trying to paddle board it was on and off like 30 times no balance in his brain at all. He had just fallen and I dropped down to 15 ft to get a close shot when his other drunk friend threw the paddle up at it and took it out of the sky. It did one flip and tried to right itself but no room. (As it turned out would not have mattered as it had a broken prop) It went under props down and came back up 5-8 second later still spinning. I jumped in and swam the 75ft or so out to it pulled it out of water it was dead in the water now pulled battery and dumped out the water. I was hot:mad::mad::mad: long story short dumb a%$ friend wrote me a check and I left drone with him since he now owned it.
Well 3 days later check comes back insufficient funds. Another long story but we settle on $500.00 and he gives me the drone back. I Figured I can part it out and still come out ok or maybe up.
So I get the drone today 1 week to the day after it went swimming( fresh water thank god) I take all apart(**** body clips are a bugger)I spray it all with Corrosion-X Anti-Corrosion Aerosol, wipe it down ,give it a good blow dry.and reassemble. Slam a new battery in it and push the button.:D:D:D:D IT ALL FIRED UP I did a IMU and gimbal cal took it outside did a compass dance. And set her free
amazing flew like a dream made 3 full battery flights and no issues.

SIDE NOTE
The battery that was in when it crashed would light up like it was 75% full but when i put it in the bird nothing . Thought for sure it was toast but left all day on the charger it would start charging then stop but all of a sudden it quit blinking. I was like well its gone **** only 3 flights on it
I pressed button and showed full ?????????:confused: Put it in the bird it fired up ok hit the battery info and all cells look good no issues
so I bring it outside and it flew fine, flew it down to 30% recharged and made one more full flight
.WOW IM THE LUCKIEST GUY EVER

NOW iF i COULD JUST GET MY p3p BACK FROM DJI :mad::mad: 8 weeks so far

Wow..that's sorta good news...bad news! Good news is your bird must have Cormorant relatives to dive in and out of water and be OK...
Bad news? I suppose you really owe your drunken friend ...at least some of his cash ..after compensation for stress and panic or maybe buy a new battery just in case![emoji56]

Reactions: skyhighdiver
So ya saying ya made 500 bucks for filming some drunk buddy's ?
monker thumbup.gif

Wow..that's sorta good news...bad news! Good news is your bird must have Cormorant relatives to dive in and out of water and be OK...
Bad news? I suppose you really owe your drunken friend ...at least some of his cash ..after compensation for stress and panic or maybe buy a new battery just in case![emoji56]
I call it the dumb A%$ Tax as it was my friends friend not mine;)
And He was willing to screw me before I fought back

I hope that doesn't make me a commercial operation :(

No it wont........but I bet the friend of...etc,. ( you wrote - flying my P3 filming a drunk friend trying to paddle board) does not know your bird dried out and his OK... bet his view on guilt or no refund - may be different and unprintable!

By the way... is it wise to have 4 fast spinning propellers anywhere near any persons - and even more unwise to be messing about with drunks - from which I guess you did not accept any booze and join in! ....... come on.. be honest ..... have to end there... gotta get my tongue outta my cheek!

Glad it worked out for you.

Awesome story. Glad you got everything working. I have read a few stories now of P3s in the water coming back alive. But every other story I read, the batt died. I would use some of that money to buy a new batt and only use that wet one for ground based operations like doing up dates or calibrations.

What would the dumb @$$ friend do if you purposely ran over his paddle board with your car? At $500 I think he he got off cheap

Not sure I could call any of them friends. Friends don't do that to friends either. Drunk or not.

Yep they make all kinds. If you have the pocket book and look hard enough you can get one to fit your needs. Waterproof, 4k camera, what ever!!!!

I'd be very cautious with that battery. Manual says if a battery gets immersed in water you should toss it. I would leave it on a charger in my house...

I'd be very cautious with that battery. Manual says if a battery gets immersed in water you should toss it. I would leave it on a charger in my house...

I see a little red dot in the battery by the power port. all the rest of my batteries have a white spot and noticed a red spot in the battery compartment of the bird as well. I guess DJI is putting in moisture sensors on them for there protection
I will use this as a last use battery and never over water but having been in r/c boats for a long time I can tell you that a lipo battery itself is usually not a issue unless salt or long term under water just getting wet will not hurt them if dried
Now the DJI smart board I dont know my feeling is if it works its good if not its shot but will not take any unnecessary chances

IMG_1534.JPG

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers