It moves

Reaction score
Just updated, and recalibrate everything. I also just added strong arms. Took it out, got the bird in the air, there is a slight breeze 2-3 mph and the thing is all over the place. Sways left to right around 5 feet, up and down 2 feet, and forward and backwards a foot or two.
Any thoughts? I took a quick video with my phone but can't figure out how to upload video

Is the Radio Control (RC) in the "P" flying mode allowing GPS to control movements, or somehow did that switch get moved to the middle position "A" for ATTI?

I'm new to all of this, but the first things that come to mind are:

Are you set to "P" mode? Are you flying low to the ground, with VPS enabled, and no clear pattern below the Phantom? Did you calibrate the compass immediately before your flight?

Double checked I was in "p" mode. I recalibrated compass before flight. I tried flying over ground, over water, various heights from 3 feet to 200 feet. It's obviously a little harder to see the drifting, but I have a pretty big hill across the lake from, so I just look at it based on trees in background and it still drifts.
When I calibrated the Imu it was off of my work bench, which is dead on level.
Should I try and update the firm ware to the previous one I just came from and see if the fixes it. Because I never had this much movement before. I have about 40 flights so far

Same here. Updated today to last version and what was stable yesterday is hard to control today.
I find myself fighting it to land. Sway all around and freaky. It seems instability is severly apparent

1st thing, cactusfrog is the coolest name ever!
Doesnt hurt to go back a Fw and see. Make sure no nicks in your props. After fw do the imu cal & the comp cal do in the middle of yard

So it's gotten better. I went back and pulled out the screws and put them back in for the strong arms. I also put a new set of blades on, although the old ones weren't that old and never hit anything. And did about compass calibration.
It still moves a bit but absolutely nothing like it was. Tomorrow is another day of trial and error.
Thanks for advice and help so far

I updated to the latest firmware the other day, and it's my 3-4 flight. I took her up today with 20-40km winds (13-29mph) and it stay on position relatively okay. Burst of wind made up move a bit, but nothing out of character. Had it up around 80m/290f.

Well, lasr night I further tested P3P after 1,06 update.
While less then 3 meters above ground with vision on, It seems he keep height perfect, but drift to the sides. I suspect position camera is not locking position. Btw, I recalibrated IMU and compass.
Will clean position camera lens and recheck.

Last edited:
Well, lasr night I further tested P3P after 1,06 update.
While less then 3 meters above ground with vision on, It seems he keep height perfect, but drift to the sides. I suspect position camera is not locking position. Btw, I recalibrated IMU and compass.
Will clean position camera lens and recheck.

The VPS requires a distinct pattern on the ground so it can have a reference of where it's at. It mentions in the manual that it won't work well over areas such as snow, water, or a solid color floor. What does your environment look like? Perhaps that's what's causing the drifting?

Update

I had thoroughly cleaned the lens of the VPS, and there it hoover rock stable.
I must mention that there was no noticeable dust or anything vieweable. I suppose it is kind of film from hand contact that make a smear on the lens, like seen in selfies when front camera is not cleaned. I suppose it was impairing ability to see clearly enough for the vps cam.

Reactions: Reed L and KeithG
Update

I had thoroughly cleaned the lens of the VPS, and there it hoover rock stable.
I must mention that there was no noticeable dust or anything vieweable. I suppose it is kind of film from hand contact that make a smear on the lens, like seen in selfies when front camera is not cleaned. I suppose it was impairing ability to see clearly enough for the vps cam.
Raanan and Cactus, vps is for flying indoors, when outside I turn mine off. When landing with it on it is a lot harder to make smooth landings, with vps on it gets bouncy when getting close to the ground.

Reactions: Raanan
Just updated, and recalibrate everything. I also just added strong arms. Took it out, got the bird in the air, there is a slight breeze 2-3 mph and the thing is all over the place. Sways left to right around 5 feet, up and down 2 feet, and forward and backwards a foot or two.
Any thoughts? I took a quick video with my phone but can't figure out how to upload video

Had the same issue and had tried everything suggested to no avail. I contact DJI Support via email and after a few emails they requested I return it to them for further investigation. It is currently on its way back with a report of what the issue was, which I won't see until it arrives this coming week. Whatever they fixed, it was done under warranty & free of charge.

Reactions: Raanan
Had the same issue and had tried everything suggested to no avail. I contact DJI Support via email and after a few emails they requested I return it to them for further investigation. It is currently on its way back with a report of what the issue was, which I won't see until it arrives this coming week. Whatever they fixed, it was done under warranty & free of charge.

Would be of great value to have a short video when it comes back, to see stability INDOOR with VPS.

Keep us up to date on when it returns as to what the report says

Raanan and Cactus, vps is for flying indoors, when outside I turn mine off. When landing with it on it is a lot harder to make smooth landings, with vps on it gets bouncy when getting close to the ground.

So why would it come default as on? Not a argument just a question?

Threw in the towel. I've tried re installing, triple calibrations, rain dancing, turn this off then on then backwards, cleaning, praying, everything. So the email went out to dji, guess we will see how long this takes.
Feeling defeated.
Dropbox - File Jan 03, 8 12 44 PM.mov

Hi cactusfrog, I will post a video of mine hovering asap for reference. Will be happy if others will post a better stable hover shoots.
Btw the surface under the drone look unfriendly to the vps.
Hover it over a surface with very clear and distinct patterns

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj