It is important to understand that government agencies ALWAYS want more power

Reaction score
They always sell it also. They sell the need. Under current laws it is illegal to fly near airports without permission and clearance. There is not a single government agency that has EVER said they don't need as much power as they have. They often say that without the new power, they can't do their job.

Remember the street cameras. Has that cut back on crime. Speed cameras, monitoring your cell phone. ETC. They ALWAYS list a dire need. Just to put this in context.

FAA Pushes for Repeal of Section 336 and More Authority Over Recreational Operators

They always sell it also. They sell the need. Under current laws it is illegal to fly near airports without permission and clearance. There is not a single government agency that has EVER said they don't need as much power as they have. They often say that without the new power, they can't do their job.

Remember the street cameras. Has that cut back on crime. Speed cameras, monitoring your cell phone. ETC. They ALWAYS list a dire need. Just to put this in context.

FAA Pushes for Repeal of Section 336 and More Authority Over Recreational Operators

Section 336 was a mistake from the get-go. It was a knee jerk, uneducated reaction by Congress on a technology that they did not understand and very much underestimated it's impact.

Reactions: N42742
Under current laws it is illegal to fly near airports without permission and clearance.
Not completely correct. Since the push is all about Section 336 and Section 336 only applies to hobby flight, we are talking about hobby and not commercial flight. Hobby flights only require that a person notify an airport of the flight. There is no requirement to obtain permission to fly (permission or "clearance").

IMHO, the _real_ problem is the FAA not doing enough. They have lied to people and misrepresented the truth (as you mentioned). Other than that, they have really failed to do anything. What they _really_ need to do is start meaningful education of the public. Just a few ideas... they could put out videos (on YouTube and the like) giving people good information. They could (should) work with manufactures and include good safety information with every drone sold. Include a simply flyer stuck to the drone that explains Section 336 and the registration.

There is just a _TON_ of bad information out there because the FAA has done little to actually get meaningful information to the masses. Instead they came up with the registration which they lied about and has done nothing.

I don't really see the need for more regulations from the FAA as this _clearly_ will only hinder the people that abide by the rules already and are not a risk. What we need is _education_ and good information from the FAA and manufactures. I say this as, right now, drones really are not that big of a problem.

I don't really see the need for more regulations from the FAA as this _clearly_ will only hinder the people that abide by the rules already and are not a risk. What we need is _education_ and good information from the FAA and manufactures. I say this as, right now, drones really are not that big of a problem.

My humble opinion is that the FAA can provide all the good education imaginable and people >still< wouldn't bother learning it unless they were forced to.

and people >still< wouldn't bother learning it unless they were forced to.

Amen

My observation has been that, for some crazy reason, many (most?) adults don't want to learn anything unless they have to! Especially if it has anything to do with details.

Maaaan wassup withat??

I crave it

Reactions: BigAl07
My humble opinion is that the FAA can provide all the good education imaginable and people >still< wouldn't bother learning it unless they were forced to.
Since we can't force someone to learn something, we can at least give them the opportunity and see what happens. Right now, there has been next to no effort to educate people.

I think the "test" DJI put in their software was a good idea. I don't think it was done very well but it was a good idea.

Reactions: BigAl07
Not completely correct. Since the push is all about Section 336 and Section 336 only applies to hobby flight, we are talking about hobby and not commercial flight. Hobby flights only require that a person notify an airport of the flight. There is no requirement to obtain permission to fly (permission or "clearance").

IMHO, the _real_ problem is the FAA not doing enough. They have lied to people and misrepresented the truth (as you mentioned). Other than that, they have really failed to do anything. What they _really_ need to do is start meaningful education of the public. Just a few ideas... they could put out videos (on YouTube and the like) giving people good information. They could (should) work with manufactures and include good safety information with every drone sold. Include a simply flyer stuck to the drone that explains Section 336 and the registration.

There is just a _TON_ of bad information out there because the FAA has done little to actually get meaningful information to the masses. Instead they came up with the registration which they lied about and has done nothing.

The FAA won’t lift a finger to make 336 work.. no way, period. It’s an affront to their inherent power grab, and they’re going to do everything within their power to make it go away and be replaced by something where they pull the strings. They’re not in the business of helping people enjoy their freedom. They’re going to lie, cheat, and steal to whatever level they have to to ensure that they have anybody and everybody that is operating a drone under as heavy a set of regulations and licensure as they can get away with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.