It fell in salt water...

Reaction score
My bird went back a little while landing on a dock. A leg got hooked between one of the boards then it fell back into the salt water. It was upside down in about a foot of water for about 15-20 seconds (if that). Do you think it's still good or will I be spending $1349 (ouch!!!) for a new one?

Last edited:
Well, In this case, I would open it up, wash all with isopropyl alcohol and after dry spray out a can or 2 of Corrosion X into the electronics, taking care to do not mess a bit more the sensors.
In this case, using Corrosion X you gonna have a "waterproof" or quite more humidity resistant bird as well..
Let us know your results just in case you decide to try it out.

My bird went back a little while landing on a dock. A leg got hooked between one of the boards then it fell back into the salt water. It was upside down in about a foot of water for about 15-20 seconds (if that). Do you think it's still good or will I be spending $1100 for a new one?
Mate that sucks,,yes saltwater very unforgiving,even if rinsed off because the drone was powered on there would have been some short,probly find even after fully dry with nother batt it might power on but i dont think it would fully function good,if at all,all components inside are just so exposed,:(

Reactions: LSDMT
I hear that saltwater is pretty much an electronic killer. Unlike water from a river that have no salt.

I'm looking at it now. Those screws are small! Corrosion X isn't available locally. It can be ordered through Amazon. I don't see anything happening quick. This doesn't look good. Of course DJI will release a new version shortly after I order a replacement.

I'm looking at it now. Those screws are small! Corrosion X isn't available locally. It can be ordered through Amazon. I don't see anything happening quick. This doesn't look good. Of course DJI will release a new version shortly after I order a replacement.
Just leave the battery out of the bird until you do that procedure with the Corrosion X.. and don't give up.. there is still hope..

But until you get the corrosion x, I would advise you to open your bird up and wash with isopropyl alcohol.. leave it alone, opened, until you get in hands your corrosion x.. I would order 02 or 03 cans just in case..

How about the battery. Is that junk too?
Dont want to say yes but might dry ok might not fully recharge again ,inteligent flight battrie,be ok mayby if it was just a battrie ,i say there be cell damage,brain damage ,,im batt hunting and gosh they not cheap

Additionally, when playing with corrosion x, take a good care to do not spray too much into the gimbal rather spray moderately..

I just got home. Picked up isopropyl alcohol while I was out (spray bottle). I'm going to see if I have tools small enough to take it apart.

I have to say... this sucks! It's like having freedom taken away. Freedom that I never had so I didn't think anything of it. Then I got a taste of it now I miss not being able to venture into the sky if I want to. I'm going to try taking it apart and will contact the local dealer that I purchased it from first thing in the morning. They are supposed to be very good at fixing these so I'll see what they say. Worse case I'll be ordering another one tomorrow.

Such a stupid incident too. I was telling people before and while I was flying that I've never crashed. And then this happened...

I just got home. Picked up isopropyl alcohol while I was out (spray bottle). I'm going to see if I have tools small enough to take it apart.

I have to say... this sucks! It's like having freedom taken away. Freedom that I never had so I didn't think anything of it. Then I got a taste of it now I miss not being able to venture into the sky if I want to. I'm going to try taking it apart and will contact the local dealer that I purchased it from first thing in the morning. They are supposed to be very good at fixing these so I'll see what they say. Worse case I'll be ordering another one tomorrow.

Such a stupid incident too. I was telling people before and while I was flying that I've never crashed. And then this happened...

Sad for sure.. but it can happen to anyone flying a drone.
Regarding the isopropyl alcohol, I would not spray it but would drop it abundantly on the drone. Even if you order another bird, I believe that worth to try to fix this one as I described. In the best scenario, you gonna have a spare bird just in case.. and in the worst scenario, you gonna get experience into disassembling and assemble the drone.
I hope you get a good result anyway.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Thanks! If there is any good news, I was able to get everything off of the SD card.

This thing isn't coming apart tonight. I don't have anything small enough to start working on it. I found this info while doing some research -

The hardest part of the whole disassembly was the removal of the top and bottom housings. It took me hours to get these apart. DJI obviously does not want you to get these apart. This is not a DIY modularized system where you are able to easily upgrade components. When doing this be mindful of trying to force things apart. If it’s not coming apart easily, it’s probably not meant to be. If it has a fastener, then it comes apart. If something is glued or welded I do not proceed any further.

Removing the top and bottom housings

1. We begin by removing the (4) 2mm hex screws from each arm. These are the screws furthest out on the arms next to the LED covers. These do not contain loctite and just screw into plastic threaded holes. Be careful when reinstalling you don’t strip the holes by over tightening.

And that's just the beginning of it!

The battery is dead. No life at all. It smells too. Reminds me of a remnants of a car after a fire. I'm going to leave it outside tonight. Just in case...

The battery is dead. No life at all. It smells too. Reminds me of a remnants of a car after a fire. I'm going to leave it outside tonight. Just in case...
The battery will be toast and your electronics probably as well.
To have any chance (only a slim one) of saving it, you have to rinse things immediately.

I just had it checked out at a local drone retailer/repair shop. I guess we're going to call this one dead. It looks like the camera is good but they suggest replacing a lot of the internal parts I've seem people post that they were looking to buy damaged drones so I'll post it for sale.

Time to look for P4P deals.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4