Issues with a new remote

Reaction score
Hey peeps!

So the antenna on my remote broke pretty quickly, and DJI were rather unwilling to help with any urgency. I've had to purchase a replacement remote (GL358wA), which I'm now having nothing but issues with. I have been following the videos found online for binding the new remote with my Phantom, as well as the instructions in the User Manual, and it just doesn't seem to want to bind. Also, when I turn it all on, it fails to display a wifi network on my iPhone and therefore can't connect with the DJI GO app.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm currently 4 days in to a two week shoot in Iceland, with my drone, and am yet to utilise my drone here, despite being half the reason I purchased it. I've been trying to get in touch with DJI directly but haven't had any luck yet.

Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

The method it says in the User Manual is to turn on the aircraft, press the link button, then turn on the remote, holding the gimbal dial to the left while pushing the S2 switch up and down. The remote flashes and beeps but just fails linking. :/

Hey peeps!

So the antenna on my remote broke pretty quickly, and DJI were rather unwilling to help with any urgency. I've had to purchase a replacement remote (GL358wA), which I'm now having nothing but issues with. I have been following the videos found online for binding the new remote with my Phantom, as well as the instructions in the User Manual, and it just doesn't seem to want to bind. Also, when I turn it all on, it fails to display a wifi network on my iPhone and therefore can't connect with the DJI GO app.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm currently 4 days in to a two week shoot in Iceland, with my drone, and am yet to utilise my drone here, despite being half the reason I purchased it. I've been trying to get in touch with DJI directly but haven't had any luck yet.

Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
The remote has to be connect to the go ap on the Iphone device with a usb lighting cable-- not wifi-- You may be able to bind it as soon as you plug up a cable and get the app connected.

The method it says in the User Manual is to turn on the aircraft, press the link button, then turn on the remote, holding the gimbal dial to the left while pushing the S2 switch up and down. The remote flashes and beeps but just fails linking. :/
Weird instructions! Has the manual changed? You have to connect cable from remote to your device. Bring up the app, go to screen with Link Remote, hit start, while it's beeping you press and release the link button on the bird.

Reactions: bobmyers
The remote has to be connect to the go ap on the Iphone device with a usb lighting cable-- not wifi-- You may be able to bind it as soon as you plug up a cable and get the app connected.

Weird instructions! Has the manual changed? You have to connect cable from remote to your device. Bring up the app, go to screen with Link Remote, hit start, while it's beeping you press and release the link button on the bird.

Thanks for your replies. I think that's how you do it with the Advanced / Professional remote, no? This is the Standard edition, which doesn't give you an option to connect the remote to your phone via USB. It just has a Mini-USB port for charging.

Thanks for your replies. I think that's how you do it with the Advanced / Professional remote, no? This is the Standard edition, which doesn't give you an option to connect the remote to your phone via USB. It just has a Mini-USB port for charging.
Yes, I would say your correct, I was trying to figure out what model you have. I have linked my unit (P3S) that way when I was trying to figure out signal problems. Could you use the old remote just to test the linking procedure?

Last edited:
Yes, I would say your correct, I was trying to figure out what model you have. I have linked my unit (P3S) that way when I was trying to figure out signal problems. Could you use the old remote just to test the linking procedure?

Unfortunately I'm in Iceland without the original remote so have no way of trying until December!

Well, I thought it was a good idea.
;)

Added,
I am at work, When I get home I will do the link procedure I will post my results within 4 hours.

Last edited:
Well Crap, I just started the procedures and your statement "it fails to display a wifi network on my iPhone" would kill the setup. I did try, I can see the wifi signal and connect to it, without the phantom turned on. Displays turn on phantom and ETC to start the linking.

Well Crap, I just started the procedures and your statement "it fails to display a wifi network on my iPhone" would kill the setup. I did try, I can see the wifi signal and connect to it, without the phantom turned on. Displays turn on phantom and ETC to start the linking.

Thanks for doing that! Hmmm. So I guess that's a big part of the problem. Any ideas why the network might not appear when I turn on the remote? I've tried the process for resetting the network, which is done by pushing the gimbal dial to the right instead of left, but doesn't seem to do anything either.

I messing with it now, right means up?
OK, With no connections (WI-FI) Phantom is not turned on.
Turn on the remote with both switches up.
Wait 30 seconds, turn thumb wheel up and hold 10 secs.
Still holding thumb wheel up press Left Switch (S2) down and up at least four times within 3 seconds.
First light, left light on remote, light will be flashing green to red fast.
Then when the remote is powered off and back on. I think this just resets the SSID name and password that remote in transmitting.
I will test that if you want.

I messing with it now, right means up?
OK, With no connections (WI-FI) Phantom is not turned on.
Turn on the remote with both switches up.
Wait 30 seconds, turn thumb wheel up and hold 10 secs.
Still holding thumb wheel up press Left Switch (S2) down and up at least four times within 3 seconds.
First light, left light on remote, light will be flashing green to red fast.
Then when the remote is powered off and back on. I think this just resets the SSID name and password that remote in transmitting.
I will test that if you want.

Thanks for all your help, RodPad!

I gave that a go and everything seemed successful in terms of lights flashing, etc. Though after powering on, it still fails to display a wifi network of any sort. I finally spoke to DJI GmbH and they're telling me that if no wifi network appears, then the remote is simply FAULTY and I need to send it in. I now have two useless remotes that I somehow need to get sorted! Such a fail.

Thanks, and crap, well we gained some knowledge.

Thanks for all your help, RodPad!

I gave that a go and everything seemed successful in terms of lights flashing, etc. Though after powering on, it still fails to display a wifi network of any sort. I finally spoke to DJI GmbH and they're telling me that if no wifi network appears, then the remote is simply FAULTY and I need to send it in. I now have two useless remotes that I somehow need to get sorted! Such a fail.

How stuck are you?
Ever thought of pulling apart the remote and swapping antenna's? I can only assume the controller is like the P2 controller with an inbuilt range extender. The P2 controller are easy to pull apart. The only difficulty would be removing the white glue on the antenna.

How stuck are you?
Ever thought of pulling apart the remote and swapping antenna's? I can only assume the controller is like the P2 controller with an inbuilt range extender. The P2 controller are easy to pull apart. The only difficulty would be removing the white glue on the antenna.
There are videos showing how to take it apart-- just have to be careful and not damage the ribbon cable to the USB board.

He is not getting WIFI signal from the remote
How stuck are you?
I don't think it would be antenna problem, I bet it is the WiFi module in the remote, his phone should see the SSID signal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik