Is this vignetting , or am I doing something wrong? 3:2 p4p shots video screenshots dropbox - Help

Reaction score
I made a post about this earlier and noticed that some of my night shots had a vignette effect, so here are some updated day time shots to make sure it wasn't just my screen. Is this just my laptop, or is anyone else seeing this? I took a video of the photo, which at first seems normal, but if you expand the picture all the way, then you'll see the vignetting happening in corners that aren't always consistent. All these shots are DNG, and they were all shot at 3:2. Please help.

vig2.JPG

vig5.JPG

vig9.JPG

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dropbox - DJI_0002.DNG
Dropbox - DJI_0005.DNG
Dropbox - DJI_0009.DNG

I took it out today and shot at 3:2,16:9, and 4:3. Vignetting WAS apparent in all my 3:2 shots, but there was little to no vignette effect at all in the others. Is anyone else getting this, or is my phantom problematic?

I'm new to this forum and use of the current drones ( though I own the phantoms 1 and 4). But as a professional photographer the first thing that I might ask ( assuming the lens is not defective) is whether or not you are using filters. If you are using filters they can create a vignette if they are not secured properly. It can also become an even bigger problem if you stack the filters.

I'm new to this forum and use of the current drones ( though I own the phantoms 1 and 4). But as a professional photographer the first thing that I might ask ( assuming the lens is not defective) is whether or not you are using filters. If you are using filters they can create a vignette if they are not secured properly. It can also become an even bigger problem if you stack the filters.
Any help is appreciated^...I do not have any filters for the phantom 4 pro, but I did order some custom fit ND gels. ND filters for the p4p have not officially been released, or that's what I know,so no filters where used.
Also, welcome to phantompilots!

Any help is appreciated^...I do not have any filters for the phantom 4 pro, but I did order some custom fit ND gels. ND filters for the p4p have not officially been released, or that's what I know,so no filters where used.
Also, welcome to phantompilots!
Though there may be some individuals out there that have had success with gel neutral density filter's on their phantoms, there are some tech experts that say they were very disappointed with the use of their gels. I'd be interested to hear what your experience is with these gels. Thanks.

Though there may be some individuals out there that have had success with gel neutral density filter's on their phantoms, there are some tech experts that say they were very disappointed with the use of their gels. I'd be interested to hear what your experience is with these gels. Thanks.
I got them from DJI Phantom 3 ND Filters and Accesories - Made in Chicago USA - DitzCo, but that's because I didn't want to wait until after Christmas for the other companies to release/start shipping them, so I ordered a custom fit from him, but I had to make my own lens holder by using thermoplastic aka instamorph.

It's still on it's way, so I don't have any filters right now.

I don't think I can be compared to you/pro photographer, so I might have to wait until I get my hands on a glass ND filter to be able to compare these shots. Plus, from what I know, gels can only used for a certain amount of time. For $10, it's worth it though.

OK, so I was pondering the idea last night while I couldn't get to sleep, that the P4Pis a multi f-stop camera. As with most professional lenses there is a tendency for vignetting to occur as the aperture is stopped down. One of the ways to check the degree of vignetting is to shoot the same image wide open and then continue to's stop down the aperture with appropriate image compensations so that lighting is equal.

Some people like the vignette effect, some don't. Some added in pro post production while others remove it and post production. I don't know whether this is common in all P4P's but I would assume it is part of the effects of having a multi f-stop lens on the camera. I am assuming of course that the drone DOSE have aperture settings since I don't own one yet[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

OK, so I was pondering the idea last night while I couldn't get to sleep, that the P4Pis a multi f-stop camera. As with most professional lenses there is a tendency for vignetting to occur as the aperture is stopped down. One of the ways to check the degree of vignetting is to shoot the same image wide open and then continue to's stop down the aperture with appropriate image compensations so that lighting is equal.

Some people like the vignette effect, some don't. Some added in pro post production while others remove it and post production. I don't know whether this is common in all P4P's but I would assume it is part of the effects of having a multi f-stop lens on the camera. I am assuming of course that the drone DOSE have aperture settings since I don't own one yet[emoji3]

Of course, it must have been the aperature. A lot of people are more experienced with this, especially professional photographers, so thank you for your input. I'm just wondering if this is normal since it's a pretty big investment for a drone. Here is the latest video of the same photo on a mac(LR) vs a windows(photodirector).

I don't personally think this should be happening. Wondering if the lens is too far recessed in the barrel housing because it looks like the vignette you get on stacked lenses on wide angle lenses. And since you are not using any lenses perhaps there is a production issue with you p4p copy. Check out raptorman0909 on YouTube. Specifically, his "close encounter" video. That is what you should expect cline wise.

Sorry meant filters not lenses....except the lens that may not set in the barrel correctly.

no filters. It's the stock lens. I've posted this in DJI's forum, but I have yet to get a response. Yup.. I'm subscribed to raptorman, and he has made some informative videos. It's still a great improvement from a p3p, so I went ahead and got this. I might have to check out another 3:2 file from another p4p and run it through the program to check it out. Thanks again for taking a look at this^

Here is another video from another user who had both programs on one computer:

I have the DEFINITIVE ANSWER to your question.

I learned this by eating crow a little more than a week ago.

What you are seeing is the P4P RAW file being processed by software that is ignoring the embedded lens correction information that your Phantom Pro 4 writes to its DNG files. If you look a bit more carefully, the vignetting is not even the worst of it. The barrel distortion is very clear at the horizon and along the street.

It has NOTHING to do with your filters (though a polarizing filter's thickness might make the vignetting worse). Your Phantom is not broken.

It is your choice of software used to process the DNG files.

The built in corrections that DJI has implemented make this little lens extremely 'architecturally correct' and that is what drew me to this drone and camera. I shoot architecture exclusively and a STRAIGHT lens on a drone was, for me, a huge plus.

Adobe Camera Raw does a beautiful job of converting the DNG while maintaining the corrective information.

And, if you shot VIDEO of the very same shot, I bet you would not see any vignetting or barrel distortion in the video because the onboard software corrects both of these optical aberrations on the fly - literally and figuratively.

Reactions: tml4191

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers