Is this the dreaded stress crack?

Reaction score
I've just been giving my phantom a once over and noticed that one arm has small a hairline crack. Is this going to keep getting worse?

Would you advise to get some supports or is it worthy of a warranty claim?

Don't want to go through the faff of sending it back if it can be easily remedied by myself.

492b3a926fc271dcd364fd3274265ba8.jpg

599de220d8bfb093e8fef567ee3b1351.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes sir, unfortunately it is :(

For what it's worth it's not bad now but once it starts, history show it will most likely get worse.

Also worried that if I just buy arm supports it'll transfer the stress to another part of the motor arm.

Sent from my SM-G925F using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's a great thought and likely true but it has not created or shifted the problem elsewhere (that has been reported).

I would get it replaced wouldn't trust it

If it has less than 10 flights it's not a stress crack from the motor but a factory worker tightening it too much.

Reactions: Wibble
If you could possibly find the ends of the crack, and I mean the very end, a little past where you can actually see it end, (use magnification), you could drill a 1 mm hole to theoretically stop it's progress for awhile. Just a thought. I've seen it done with cracks in other materials; it could work. It's a risk, but it could work and stop it from getting longer.

Making sure you don't drill into anything important underneath!

If you could possibly find the ends of the crack, and I mean the very end, a little past where you can actually see it end, (use magnification), you could drill a 1 mm hole to theoretically stop it's progress for awhile. Just a thought. I've seen it done with cracks in other materials; it could work. It's a risk, but it could work and stop it from getting longer.

Making sure you don't drill into anything important underneath!

Drilling a hole to prevent the cracks from propagating more wouldn't be a good idea in this case.

Drilling a hole to prevent the cracks from propagating more wouldn't be a good idea in this case.
nope if you drill a hole dji probably wouldn't fix it for free DONT DRILL A HOLE NOT SMART

nope if you drill a hole dji probably wouldn't fix it for free DONT DRILL A HOLE NOT SMART

Thats what I said. I DON'T think it would be a wise idea. Even temporarily it could be a bad idea. Shells are cheap enough, why not just replace it yourself? It would give you good insight to future repairs and maybe add some confidence while in the air. Nothing implied here just assuming this is your first Phantom and like most of us continually improving on flying.

SMART CRACKS develop after the warranty.o_O

I had the same thing after a week of purchase date. I sent it back, they replaced the shell ( no charge). The whole process took about 2 weeks.
That was about 6 months ago, no cracks since I got it back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had pretty much the exact same crack in the same spot. At first I contacted my local store (who is an authorized DJi seller) to see if they could fix it under warranty. They checked with DJI and DJI agreed to pay for a replacement shell to be installed (parts and labour), and the best part was DJI paid my local store to do the repair, so I didn't need to mail my drone anywhere.
To help prevent any new cracks on my new shell, I installed these "strong arm reinforcement plates" Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates

Reactions: Dounin Front
I've just been giving my phantom a once over and noticed that one arm has small a hairline crack. Is this going to keep getting worse?

Would you advise to get some supports or is it worthy of a warranty claim?

Don't want to go through the faff of sending it back if it can be easily remedied by myself.

492b3a926fc271dcd364fd3274265ba8.jpg

599de220d8bfb093e8fef567ee3b1351.jpg

Have the shell replaced under warranty and then install StrongArm reinforcement plates like SpaceDan did.
If you cannot get warranty, just install the StrongArms and I'll bet there will not be new cracks.
That's my own experience.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic