Is this Rf-v16 faulty?

Reaction score
I have searched widely for the answer- found the question many times- but never the solution.

This tracker is a just received lightweight replacement of my TK 102.

I have not got/ don't want a data enabled sims- 'data upload' is off- goff#

After powering on, the device does not seem to aquire a GPS fix. Both leds quickly go blank. I think it goes to sleep mode.

My first position check, dw#, returns the cell tower information only. But the tracker is seen to wake and in about 2 mins. both leds
go to rapid single flash.

If after this 2 min. period I then text a position check, I get the google co-ordinates- but this must be done before sleep mode occurs again.

So finally to the question- the TK 102 responds to interrogation by automatically sending 2 texts.
The first- cell tower info, the second- the google link.

Is it the case, with the Rf-16, that the user has to first force a wake up call?

discv said:
I have searched widely for the answer- found the question many times- but never the solution.

This tracker is a just received lightweight replacement of my TK 102.

I have not got/ don't want a data enabled sims- 'data upload' is off- goff#

After powering on, the device does not seem to aquire a GPS fix. Both leds quickly go blank. I think it goes to sleep mode.

My first position check, dw#, returns the cell tower information only. But the tracker is seen to wake and in about 2 mins. both leds
go to rapid single flash.

If after this 2 min. period I then text a position check, I get the google co-ordinates- but this must be done before sleep mode occurs again.

So finally to the question- the TK 102 responds to interrogation by automatically sending 2 texts.
The first- cell tower info, the second- the google link.

Is it the case, with the Rf-16, that the user has to first force a wake up call?

Just checking, but you are not using the TK 102 dialogue to talk to the RF V16 are you?

Have the LEDs both gone to short (sub second) pulse, or are they longer than that ?

Have you tried SMSing #dw or #dsp to the device?

Hi Hughie, thanks.
No I am using the Rf-v16 # type talk.
Both Leds only go to quick flash after the first dw# text.
The dsp# returns a report mentioning that the GPS is in sleep mode. But unlike the dw# command, does not cause the device to wake up.

discv said:
Hi Hughie, thanks.
No I am using the Rf-v16 # type talk.
Both Leds only go to quick flash after the first dw# text.
The dsp# returns a report mentioning that the GPS is in sleep mode. But unlike the dw# command, does not cause the device to wake up.

I think that is normal. I seem to remember the TK was the same. I can't remember the reason for it for but it made sense when I read it. It might be that it only uses the GPS when polled, to preserve power. Not sure but it was mentioned in the docs for one of these two devices. Mine certainly behaves that way when I send dsp, but when I do I am really just getting the battery level from it.

Edit : just checked my V16 manual. Under dsp section it says

"Note:Most of the time the GPS is sleep. So normal the GPS situation is invalid."

(Beautifully translated :eek:)

Ok Hughie, but in order to get a GPS co-ordinate link (using the command dw#) do you find you have to text twice- the first time to wake it up?

discv said:
Ok Hughie, but in order to get a GPS co-ordinate link (using the command dw#) do you find you have to text twice- the first time to wake it up?

No. dw# works every time after it is switched on.

Just scrolling through my dsp texts, I can see that sometimes the GPS says sleep, other times it says working.

Here is a typical dsp reply, in case it helps

ID : <my tracker's ID>
GSM signal : poor;
GPS signal : working;
Battery life : 100%
Operating mode : push-to-talk
tracking : ON

Hughie said:
discv said:

Just scrolling through my dsp texts, I can see that sometimes the GPS says sleep, other times it says working.

So, to be clear, you do not need to force a wake up- the command dw# will give you GPS co-ordinates first time?

discv said:
Hughie said:
discv said:

So, to be clear, you do not need to force a wake up- the command dw# will give you GPS co-ordinates first time?

That is correct - No wake up needed. Provided I have turned it on, or, provided I have it on charge - which for some bizarre reason, turns it on too.

Your lights do not operate the same as mine. When mine is turned on the yellow and blue light will slow flash two maybe three times. The yellow then picks up the

phone service and goes to very quick flash. The blue continues to slow flash until it gets a GPS lock. It then goes to very quick flash. They CONTINUE to quick flash all

the time. They do not "turn off." When I send the dw# command I receive the map and the location. It also turns on when you charge it and the lights continue to slow

flash. Once charged both lights go very quick flash if they both pick up phone and GPS location. Some play the "tune" every few seconds during charging, mine does not.

Thanks guys. I think that my Rf-16 is faulty. It does not work as yours do.
When first powered up both lights flash slowly. After some 3 secs the amber led goes to fast flash- and then all lights go off.

When I text dw# the amber led starts flashing fast, but the blue is slow (searching for GPS). This slow blue continues long after a reply message has been sent back. So obviously I only get the cell tower locations.

If I wait for the blue to go to fast flash (perhaps a minute) and then resend dw# I get the gps co-ordinates.

The problem is- if I did not have sight of the leds- it would be hard to judge when to send the 2nd text. This has to be done between when the blue light is satisfied and when the device goes back to sleep.

discv said:
Thanks guys. I think that my Rf-16 is faulty. It does not work as yours do.
When first powered up both lights flash slowly. After some 3 secs the amber led goes to fast flash- and then all lights go off.

When I text dw# the amber led starts flashing fast, but the blue is slow (searching for GPS). This slow blue continues long after a reply message has been sent back. So obviously I only get the cell tower locations.

If I wait for the blue to go to fast flash (perhaps a minute) and then resend dw# I get the gps co-ordinates.

The problem is- if I did not have sight of the leds- it would be hard to judge when to send the 2nd text. This has to be done between when the blue light is satisfied and when the device goes back to sleep.

Yeah sounds broken :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues