Is this normal?

Reaction score
I was flying my Phantom 3 Advanced today. It registered a specific location prior to take off. During the flight I walked around a bit and then brought the Phantom to about 5 feet from the ground hovering about 10 feet from me.

I noticed my battery was getting low so I started the gradual decent. Then the battery hit about 30% or less and low battery warning started. The thing started climbing to about 50 feet and I kept trying to bring it down. It wouldn't respond. Then it started drifting towards the registered home point and the sticks were not responding and landed and shut off in approximately the same area where the phantom 3 initially took off.

I was flying in P-GPS the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is normal
are you new to the phantom series, by the way?
you didn't disable return to home so it initiated return to home and returned to where it started

Yes. It was my first flight out with the Phantom. I am used to flying other quads where I have more control. Why did it climb up in elevation? It could have just drifted over to the home point and landed. Thought I was losing control of it.

When it RTH, it climbs to the preset altitude for RTH. You might want to check the RTH before each flight, otherwise if it does RTH again, the altitude setting may not be set high enough to clear obstacles.

I never changed it from the default. I was in beginner mode when I flew it the first time. Didn't want to experiment too much on the maiden flight.

If you didn't change it, the Phantom always ascends to RTH height then goes to home

I never changed it from the default. I was in beginner mode when I flew it the first time. Didn't want to experiment too much on the maiden flight.

I have mine set at 143ft.

It's best to think about how far away your aircraft (a/c) will travel. Then consider that distance in a 360 degree radius around you. Now think about what is the highest structure in your flight radius and add additional height to clear the structure safely. Total up the overall amounts and enter this in the menu of your GO app.

If you fly in more then one location you will need to set the amount based on your location. I have even went as far as reviewing an area I'm going to fly at on google earth. Looking for radio station towers, or water towers, ect. Be sure to take in consideration of a possible worse case scenario where the a/c gps malfunctions and begins to drift off. Then should RTH come into play again it will climb to the height you have entered.

Thanks for the information. I saw the settings in the app and now know where to change it. For me it was an open airfield so there wasn't anything around to worry about. I think it caught me off guard when I was trying to land it and it all of a sudden shot up. I couldn't read the display on my iPad because of the sun so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Yes. It was my first flight out with the Phantom. I am used to flying other quads where I have more control. Why did it climb up in elevation? It could have just drifted over to the home point and landed. Thought I was losing control of it.

Please! do yourself a favor...read the manual. This isn't like "...other quads".

Reactions: bunkphenomenon
BTW...I've found this very useful to fill in all the little details not covered in the DJI manual.

THE Help Guide for the Phantom 3

Also includes info to create your own checklist which you should consult before each flying session.

I was flying my Phantom 3 Advanced today. It registered a specific location prior to take off. During the flight I walked around a bit and then brought the Phantom to about 5 feet from the ground hovering about 10 feet from me.

I noticed my battery was getting low so I started the gradual decent. Then the battery hit about 30% or less and low battery warning started. The thing started climbing to about 50 feet and I kept trying to bring it down. It wouldn't respond. Then it started drifting towards the registered home point and the sticks were not responding and landed and shut off in approximately the same area where the phantom 3 initially took off.

I was flying in P-GPS the entire time.

I am happy that you asked this question. You need to go through the safety features of P3 in details before you take off your next flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj