Is there too much wind to fly?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was outside just now shooting some vid. I saw Spike (my P4P) moving around a lot. It was due to pretty high winds. Be aware the drone can shift over a meter in severe gusts of 6 Bft.

To avoid flying in high winds (especially gusts) I use the Windy app. I know the name could imply something different :flushed:.

iphone_meteo.png

It works real well and will help you to determine if it's safe to fly.
I have tested the P4P in a constant 6-7 Bft in open terrain and trust me. The P4P can handle it.

Hope the app helps you all to.

Thanks, I tend to use my own local judgement, but I really prefer to only fly in light winds, which can be a problem where I live.
I have of course tested my P4 in strong winds, and yes it is very impressive. I often fly quite long distances out over a deserted coastline where the wind can be very unpredictable.
Greetings from the UK.

Hi Jayfdee I use UAV forecast app on my phone as rule of thumb but like you I too use local judgment, on the Lincolnshire coast there is seldom light winds but have never had the guts to try in anything above 20mph at 200 feet.

Hi Jayfdee I use UAV forecast app on my phone as rule of thumb but like you I too use local judgment, on the Lincolnshire coast there is seldom light winds but have never had the guts to try in anything above 20mph at 200 feet.
Hi Ukracer, yes we coastal flyers have to take what we get, plus side superb flying locations, downside high tides and strong winds, but on balance, location trumps all.

Reactions: mike357
I agree on local judgement. We all know how air flows can form opposing wind around a structure. I have noticed 1st hand when I was making a corner around a building when I saw my drone shift.
The idea about using wind forecast is being prepared. Also is practice in dealing with high wind (in open area of course).

Fact remains that the P4P is a very powerful little bastard. And real fast to respond! I rather not know how many booleans are used to keep it straight ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan