Is there anything a 3DR Solo can do (re: "smart shots"), that a Phantom 3P can't?

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I've built a couple multi-rotors, using Pixhawk flight controllers. I also own a Phantom 3 Pro, and have a Solo on order from Amazon.

The first thing that attracted me to Solo was the "smart shots"...being able to smoothly and automatically grab "cinematic" video clips.

But I've come to realize that those smart shots are really (duh) all about the software app controlling the Solo (or the Phantom), and there now exists a few apps for the Phantom that seem to duplicate everything the Solo can do...and it also seems like there is more software development for the Phantom that there is for the Solo, due to the Phantom's popularity.

So...

Just wondering, esp if anyone has any direct experience with both platforms, is there really any reason to buy a Solo instead of the Phantom, when, specifically, the focus is on cinematic/smart-shot types of video clips? I realize the cameras are different, but the image quality of the Phantom's camera vs the GoPro (and then needing a new, rectilinear lens for the GoPro), is pretty darn close.

Thanks...

--

Bill

Your probably on the wrong forum to get advice to be a 3DR product. Beyond that, with apps like Litchi or Autopilot, I think you can do just as much, if not more, with your phantom. Due to the much larger installed base and the API, third party products have greatly expanded the capabilities of the Phantom. I don't know enough about the 3DR product to know if the same exists there...sorry.

impilot51,

Thanks...

The forum choice...I was hoping to find folks who have flown both platforms...so I posted to both a 3DR forum AND a Phantom forum.

Yes, the third part apps for the Phantom are proliferating quite a bit...that's good to see. But from what I have been reading, the overall consensus seems to be that for cinematic shots...beautifully smooth, etc, the Solo has some advantage. Does that mean a person needs to get a Solo to get those shots? No. Absolutely not. Just that the Solo just might get those shots more easily, and have an overall somewhat higher success rate.

That said, there's a lot of debate about the whole thing.
--

Bill

I've seen plenty of beautiful, cinematic shots from the Phantoms to know it can be done. I've also seen plenty of crap too, but there are so many Phantoms out there with noobs posting unedited, "this is my first video, isn't it great?" type stuff that it can be overwhelming.

Hopefully you can find someone with both to give you good, fair comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav