Is there any way to wire up a 12V load to the P3A without another external battery?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a stable 12V source - not sure if there's a way to open her up and voila, or if I'm best off attaching a small 12V battery and just eating the inconvenience.

I'm looking for a stable 12V source - not sure if there's a way to open her up and voila, or if I'm best off attaching a small 12V battery and just eating the inconvenience.

Probably the cleanest and least invasive way is to modify a Smart Battery and bring some native voltage leads out. They will be a little higher than 12 volts. Specifically in the Lipo HV 4s range (17.4 - 12.8) This is the P3's native voltage. I have included a example picture designed to connect to batteries to supplement flight time, but, the current goes both ways.

A source for that particular battery:

"http : // fpvcustoms . com"

You can also accomplish the same thing by modifying the bird, and bringing leads out, but that is more of a commitment.

Attachments

• Modified Smart Battery.jpg
    Modified Smart Battery.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: mickben
Its called a buck converter. You can find them all over ebay as well as electronics places like adafruit, MCM, Mauser, etc.

Most will take from 4 to 40v in so that will handle the 14v of the charged battery down to the point where the bird ain't flying anyway voltage.

You can either tap the battery or you can tap it off the lugs in the battery compartment of the bird. Guess it depends on what you need 12v for.

Reactions: mickben
Its called a buck converter. You can find them all over ebay as well as electronics places like adafruit, MCM, Mauser, etc.

Most will take from 4 to 40v in so that will handle the 14v of the charged battery down to the point where the bird ain't flying anyway voltage.

You can either tap the battery or you can tap it off the lugs in the battery compartment of the bird. Guess it depends on what you need 12v for.

Nice. I might try this. Say I want to tap the battery to connect the converter - do you know of a simple/nonintrusive way to do this? Some kind of slim-form adapter that still allows the battery to click into secure placement?

Nice. I might try this. Say I want to tap the battery to connect the converter - do you know of a simple/nonintrusive way to do this? Some kind of slim-form adapter that still allows the battery to click into secure placement?
The LED headlight kit on Amazon - it comes with the slim connectors you speak of, i have the LED headlight on my P3 & the battery clips in like normal. Might be worth buying the kit rather than trying to find the slim connectors like they have, i am sure they will not give you specifications.

It comes with a current limiting chip already (12v) just what you need, & not a bad price either.

Amazon.com: SKYREAT DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter 24 LED Spot Head Light Decorative lamp-Energy saving: Toys & Games

Reactions: Mark The Droner
The LED headlight kit on Amazon - it comes with the slim connectors you speak of, i have the LED headlight on my P3 & the battery clips in like normal. Might be worth buying the kit rather than trying to find the slim connectors like they have, i am sure they will not give you specifications.

It comes with a current limiting chip already (12v) just what you need, & not a bad price either.

Amazon.com: SKYREAT DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter 24 LED Spot Head Light Decorative lamp-Energy saving: Toys & Games
Sweet! Looks like the specs are simply... "through the vent" :D

Sweet! Looks like the specs are simply... "through the vent" :D
Lol, yea a few reviewers chewed them out for no instructions, but it is a matter of minutes as far as installation, i suppose the manufacturers of the light kit assume everyone would understand how to install without instructions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik