Is there any risk of starting a fire?

Reaction score
Hey there,

new owner here with zero experience (I didn't see if there was a topic/subforum where newcomers had to present themselves: I looked at the board index but didn't see anything, just tell me if I missed it). I'm in an area with lots of empty space so there's not real risk of doing much damage besides destroying my drone but... There are many "italian stone pine" trees.

These trees burn crazily fast should a fire start: the region overall is very warn (south-east of France) and there are often huge fires. Two days ago an highway had to be closed because many acres of land burned (I don't know what started the fire). A cigarette or even a rock hit by a lawnmower can be enough to start huge fires (a few years ago our house nearly burned because of the spark created by a lawnmower's blade when it hit a rock. And the person operating the lawnmower saw the fire starting and simply couldn't stop it.

Is the DJI Phantom 2 vision+ I just bought heating a lot when it is flying? What if by accident I were to fly it (or it would away by itself) in a stone pine tree? Is it particularly hot while flying? Are these electric motors running warm enough to start a fire, knowing that not much is needed here to start a wildfire? I know that the stock blades are in plastic, so I'm not too concerned about these blades creating a spark... But I'd like to know how "safe" I'd be.

That's basically my concern: it's definitely not a forest full of trees, but there are pine trees here and there and I'm concerned about flying the quadcopter into one.

Is this a legitimate concern or am I just being paranoid?

I don't know much but here's my input. Flying the Phantom most likely not be a problem. But, anything that is electric has the potential of creating a spark. If a crash is severe enough that wires could short out the battery may be a problem. I think most batteries fail from charging at too high of rates or charging damaged batteries. The electronics inside the Phantom would probably go before a fire could get outside the shell. My biggest concern is the battery itself. They do have the potential to start on fire but I think that is rare if treated properly.

I don't think anything gets hot enough or creates enough of a spark to pose any risk of fire.

There is a chance of the lithium battery catching fire if damaged or when being charged. But, I haven't heard any reports of fires caused by the Phantom batteries or of any problems of that sort with them at all. So, I don't think that it's enough of a risk to be of concern.

But, to be extra safe, don't run into a tree! :)

-- Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31