Is there a way to test an ESC with a multimeter?

Reaction score
I would appreciate a link, if anyone knows of a good video.

Reactions: UsurperDave
About all you can check for is SHORTED output FET; blown open will just read normal....

Ohm from battery PLUS (center of the coax power feed cable) to each motor lead; should be high resistance. then do same from battery minus (shield of power cable coax) to each motor lead. Ditto should be open. Any shorted FET will read near zero ohms.

Your question suggests maybe you should download the reverse engineered schematic and circuit description that was on this site some time ago?

Yes, I believe I should.

Getting really tired of searching, although it's great reading.

Link please. :D

Saweeeet, :D :D :D

I don't see a copyright anywhere. I could post it as a webpage for everyone to see, but would like to have permission.

Do we know who P. Harden is?

I don't see a copyright anywhere. I could post it as a webpage for everyone to see, but would like to have permission.

Do we know who P. Harden is?

That would be me. I did the tutorial on the Phantom 2V+ ESCs as so many of them were failing for awhile (including a couple of my own, which I reversed engineered to fix myself). Got a nice response from DJI over the tutorial and I think it had something to do with them changing the routing of the motor wires. You have to admit, you hardly read about a bad ESC anymore!

Anyway, I did it to share and you are welcome to share it on your website. Thanks for asking, though. The ESC is now part of the main circuit board, but the theory of operation and how the motors work and are driven has likely not changed by much. Still have my P2V+ but use my P3 mostly now for the better photos/video. Haven't had to fix the P3 yet.

The "Handiman's Guide to the V.2 ESC" is attached and will post the schematic on the next post. Enjoy.

Good flying everyone.

Attachments

• P2V_ESC2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,374
Here's the schematic for the V.2 ESC boards for the Phantom 2 series, when the ESCs were separate boards for each motor. Haven't opened my P3 yet to see how the ESCs are in the newer Phantoms. The schematic is probably quite similar unless they went to different MOSFETs or something.

Paul Harden (aka NM_QUAD)

Attachments

• P2V_ESC_P7_SCHEMATIC.pdf
    118.3 KB · Views: 643
Here's the schematic for the V.2 ESC boards for the Phantom 2 series, when the ESCs were separate boards for each motor. Haven't opened my P3 yet to see how the ESCs are in the newer Phantoms. The schematic is probably quite similar unless they went to different MOSFETs or something.

Paul Harden (aka NM_QUAD)
DJI went to sine wave drive and added active braking in the P3 so it is likely the ESC have greatly added complexity.

I also am very interested in the current circuit design. Particularly if it slows the motors simply by reducing line frequency or if it uses regenerative breaking (the absence of load resistors on the board would suggest the later to the extent it is employed).

That would be me. I did the tutorial on the Phantom 2V+ ESCs as so many of them were failing for awhile (including a couple of my own, which I reversed engineered to fix myself). Got a nice response from DJI over the tutorial and I think it had something to do with them changing the routing of the motor wires. You have to admit, you hardly read about a bad ESC anymore!

Anyway, I did it to share and you are welcome to share it on your website. Thanks for asking, though. The ESC is now part of the main circuit board, but the theory of operation and how the motors work and are driven has likely not changed by much. Still have my P2V+ but use my P3 mostly now for the better photos/video. Haven't had to fix the P3 yet.

The "Handiman's Guide to the V.2 ESC" is attached and will post the schematic on the next post. Enjoy.

Good flying everyone.
thank you, for your help :)

Good flying everyone.

this is the video, 1 esc is wont power up

i have check the voltage for all component from the die esc, i think the component with code H10 are not in good condition, because that component dont have same output voltage with other H10 on other good esc...

Thx best Regards,
Dani

video link on youtube :

DJI went to sine wave drive and added active braking in the P3 so it is likely the ESC have greatly added complexity.

I did not know this. Thanks for the insight. A sinewave drive and active braking would be a totally different circuit. Doubt they're using switched mode MOSFETs for the linear (sine) motor drives. Almost getting tempted to open up my P3 now to see how they're doing it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik