Is there a way to teach people to not hang out in the left lane?

Do you hang out in the left lane?

• No. I hate when people do and I always teach them a lesson!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, what's wrong with that?

• Yes, that's where I feel comfortable and don't have to deal with merging traffic

• I don't drive

• Total voters
Reaction score
It's mind boggling that someone would not know/ care that the left lane is for passing.

Any European country, a driver would know that, even the housewives.

And in the US, the law is in the book: the left lane is for passing only.

What's the problem with people wanting to be in the left lane when they are not passing anyone, have an empty lane to their right and/ or when they holding up traffic causing others to maneuver around them?

Some will say "but if I driving the speed limit, why can't I be in the left lane? You should not be speeding".
What do you answer those people?

I notice the exotic/ hyper cars are usually just cruising in the right lane. Or is it they realized the right lane IS the left lane? :)

Everyone should watch this. Please share the video with everyone you know.
Maybe we can start a campaign!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Jonathan Huff
The problem is reversed in Australia however i suspect its equally infuriating.

I often wonder about why people do it. Uninsured and thinking they can avoid an accident? Like having a clear view ahead while everyone is stuck behind them? Just plain ignorant? I did notice often they will try and speed up in a desperate attempt to prevent someone getting in front of them. My 75w hids in 10" reflectors sit at the right height on my bull bar to perfectly illuminate the rear view mirrors of these clowns. Steel tray on the back helps with merging in front of them also.

I think for some it is more like, "I am doing the speed limit, if want to break it, you go around." Yes, it is a passing lane, but not a break the law lane..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a drone forum not a forum to rant about stupid things[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think for some it is more like, "I am doing the speed limit, if want to break it, you go around." Yes, it is a passing lane, but not a break the law lane..

Awesome. So people can then stay out of it if they arent passing and leave clear passage for emergency service vehicles.

Emergency service vehicles usually have lights, so that is a no brainer.

For you maybe. I see more than one instance a week of a fire, ambulance or police vehicle stuck behind someone.

As a paramedic for more than 7 years, and a motorcyclist for all my life, I can tell you the fundamental problem, generally, imho, is situational awareness/ignorance. People don't pay attention, they exist in their own tiny little bubbles of reality and awareness and don't know/pay attention to what is going on around them.

People need to understand they are not the center of the universe, and need to care enough to pay attention and be courteous.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Pharm
This sounds right! It should start at the time people get their driver's license.

Prevention is so much better than reaction: it costs less, would save lives, aggravation and energy if we could get people to drive better.

First, I'm in an areas where most people do stay in the right lane unless passing. When you are driving for hours between nothing and the speed limit is 80mph, you tend to just stay in the right lane and pretty much everyone still does 80mph. I'd say most of it is a frame of mind. If you are in the city and fighting to get around a lot of people, you are more likely to have people camping in the left lane.

When I was younger I used to get mad at people on the road. For example someone would speed past me and I'd feel mad at them for speeding. When I turned 35 or so I started to realize that getting mad at someone on the road (and in many other cases) did not change anything. It only served to make me upset. It took me _years_ to change my mind around. You know when someone zips in front of you to get 1 car ahead in traffic? These days I just figure, well... if that made them feel a little better, great for them. Why should I care? Do I really have nothing more important to concern myself with?

I think most people driving slow in the left lane do so for two reasons... it's a bad habit and/or they are just zoned out a little. If I'm in the middle of nowhere and no one is on the road, I'm still in the right lane out of habit. I don't even think about it. But for someone who only gets over to the right when someone passes, they might just stay in the left lane and not even notice someone behind them. Good driving habits are a must (turning into same lane, blinkers when changing lanes, etc.).

it took me _years_ to change my attitude about other drivers. Some things still get to me. Even this, not yielding to the right, still gets to me. But I _try_ to tell myself that the person is just thinking about something else and it's momentary lapse in moving over. Besides, usually by the 3 time I ram the back of their car they know to move over.

That was pretty good! :)

People commenting on the thread so far seem to "know better" and we have volunteered reasonable explanations.

Hopefully we get more to comment from the offending side.
Perhaps they will offer some insight so we can better understand why they drive the way they do.

May have to post some footage from my dash cams to help the discussion along. :)

Interesting video but no real reason to have made it. I still remember in Driver's Ed class in high school, being taught to stay right unless passing. To pass a driver's written test, one must study the driver's handbook. In the handbook, it tells you to stay right unless passing. Therefore, I find it silly for someone to say "I didn't know". The constant flow of cars speeding up to you from behind and riding your tail isn't a clue? Even without driver's instruction or a handbook, it seems pretty much common sense to me anyway. Then again, we're talking about the "general public", a giant jelly-like blob of inconceivable ignorance. Is that too harsh? Sorry.

Here in Germany it is supposedly illegal to camp out in the left lane but it happens all the time. And usually by someone in the slowest car on the road. Most of the time it just takes a few flashes of the brights to get them to move over. It's scary when you come rolling up on them at 120+ MPH and they are puttin along at 80 MPH (the "recommended" speed limit).

I'm normally going faster than everybody else anyway, so I stay out there. If somebody comes up behind me that's going faster, I get out of the way. If I come up on an idiot in the left lane doing "the speed limit", I go around him on the right. I always have situational awareness - that's what it's all about.

Bazooka?

making-the-right-point_jpg.jpg

drivers-that-should-not-be-in-the-left-lane.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015-05-22_at_9.10.33_AM.0.png

Reactions: Airecon

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31