Is there a better drone than the P3P? I don't think so!

Reaction score
As an audiophile, I'm always looking for that elusive last piece of the puzzle to take me to audio nirvana. That incremental change that will finally leave me satisfied. I'll change cables, or add room treatments. Or maybe I'll change everything and start all over.

I have been thinking about an "upgrade" from the P3P to the Inspire V2, or perhaps to the Mavic, but I have to ask myself "why?" I don't think there is a better drone for the money out there than the P3P. Consider the attributes
Better range than the Inspire
Longer flight time as well
Less than half the price
The video is great

So, what would it take for me to upgrade? More than an incremental change. I need a leap. A better camera with zoom and/or interchangeable lenses. Increased flight time. Same price point.

In the meantime, I won't be selling my P3P.

I own both of those aircraft and I don't think either is an upgrade. They are all different aircraft -- each with its own unique pros and cons. If you enjoy Phantoms, then wait for the P4P or P5.

I would like to have a Zenmuse XTR with Infarred. I think that together cost around $10-$12k

You and me both :D

As an audiophile, I'm always looking for that elusive last piece of the puzzle to take me to audio nirvana. That incremental change that will finally leave me satisfied. I'll change cables, or add room treatments. Or maybe I'll change everything and start all over.

I have been thinking about an "upgrade" from the P3P to the Inspire V2, or perhaps to the Mavic, but I have to ask myself "why?" I don't think there is a better drone for the money out there than the P3P. Consider the attributes
Better range than the Inspire
Longer flight time as well
Less than half the price
The video is great

So, what would it take for me to upgrade? More than an incremental change. I need a leap. A better camera with zoom and/or interchangeable lenses. Increased flight time. Same price point.

In the meantime, I won't be selling my P3P.
Right on! I have a P3P and love it, not bad for a first drone ;) My current setup below. About to order the Sunhans.

Attachments

• 20161101_202945.jpg
    20161101_202945.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 453
Technology is changing fast and you would see many many new drones with new features and substantial improvements. Wait is the key. No doubt P3P gets you cool features and is one of the best available today.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JohnnyB
Better for cheaper your onto something, the P3 is a great performer for the price. It's still a toy with a glorified mobile phone camera though. It's not like audio where 5k will give you 95% of the performance if a $100K investment. You P3 is 95% of a 5k investment.

I agree with the P3P for $600 used with 3 batteries, giving 95% of a $5000 setup. However, your audio comparison is a bit of an exaggeration.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I follow ya sf. It's like having a stereo set of peluso p84's, or a Neumann U87, but that one acoustic guitar just gets its tone captured better with a Shure Ksm 44 routed through my lunchbox pre, then a nice verb and slight compression in post in Cubase 8 pro.. ah yes.. there it is! Sometimes taking a less expensive mic and thinking out of the box with a set up just captures the live tone that we all try to capture. Same goes for me and my P4. The Mavic came out and boy was I tempted. But I started thinking just like you! I'm satisfied with this. I can do things to make the session (and the P4) better. Just like moving the mic 1" toward the neck and not in front of the sound hole, or taking a couple 14" wide pieces of barn wood and put them in a V just to the left and right of the mic a couple feet back, or using a ribbon mic on a harsh female vocal... same with my P4. I'm looking to mod my antennas soon, not really for range but penetration of trees. I'm gonna go for the "Jeremiah" setup on my car. I can take what I already have and make it better. I'm with ya!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I am with you Sfgiants24, I own both Phantoms P3P & P4. I was already happy with the P3P but I wanted more. One of the drone choices was the P4 and I pondered what it brings to the table in terms of features over the P3P. The justification points for me was the flight time 28 minutes vs 23 minutes the P3P offers, and the tap fly and active track. The downward vision system that comes with the P4 was also a plus in the decision making which makes it suitable for indoor flying.
Aside from that I did not get the leap I was looking for. I love both drones, they are different in their own unique ways. In terms of cameras they are both the same except for HDR in the P4. I love the hovering precision of the P4, it is like if it is glued in the sky.

Having said that and to build in your comment what would it take for me to sell my P3P or P4 to upgrade to another drone?. a leap.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers