Is the GPS more sensitive in the V1.1.1?

Reaction score
I've got a V1.0 Phantom and have always had issues with getting a good GPS lock.
In my back garden for example my F550 or S800 will lock in about 10 seconds. My Phantom on the other hand needs a completely clear view of the sky in all directions and even then takes ages to lock.

I was wondering if the V1.1.1 with the Naza V2 in it was faster and more sensitive. Anyone who had a V1.0 and then got a V1.1.1 care to comment?

rilot said:
I've got a V1.0 Phantom and have always had issues with getting a good GPS lock.
In my back garden for example my F550 or S800 will lock in about 10 seconds. My Phantom on the other hand needs a completely clear view of the sky in all directions and even then takes ages to lock.

I was wondering if the V1.1.1 with the Naza V2 in it was faster and more sensitive. Anyone who had a V1.0 and then got a V1.1.1 care to comment?

I haven't really noticed any significant difference to sat lock time, but as far as hover and RTH lock, it's much more accurate.

There are numerous reports from people with different phantoms (different versions, same versions) experiencing widely varying GPS lock time. Possible answers seem to be firmware version, gps module backup battery, electrical shielding around the GPS in shell and possibly rolling revisions to the actual gps hardware...

So...it's undetermined but there seems to be a difference as you describe. If your phantom consistently takes 2+ minutes even if you achieve lock, then immediately unplug and replug your battery, the gps backup battery may have died.

Sitting on my workbench, the wookong in my 550 and the NAZA in my 1.2 Phantom both get initial "lock" (>6 sats) in about the same time, <20 seconds. The wookong will end up with 11 sats to the NAZA's 9, but the time it takes is almost identical.

I've had lock on >6 sats within 30 seconds on an FC40 all the time and as quick as 12-15 seconds.

I was expecting a 2 min wait from the early YouTube vids I saw.

I just took my Phantom apart and checked the GPS receiver. No cracks or anything. Battery looks OK and is putting out
It's really weird. My F550 actually gets GPS lock inside my house. The Phantom on the other hand as I said, need a totally clear view of the sky. Even once it has a lock it will drop to 1 flash while it's in flight from time to time.

I'm going to wire up an iOSD Mini to it and see exactly how many sats it thinks it can see.

I don't know what to do with it to be honest. It's quite irritating.

rilot said:
I just took my Phantom apart and checked the GPS receiver. No cracks or anything. Battery looks OK and is putting out
It's really weird. My F550 actually gets GPS lock inside my house. The Phantom on the other hand as I said, need a totally clear view of the sky. Even once it has a lock it will drop to 1 flash while it's in flight from time to time.

I'm going to wire up an iOSD Mini to it and see exactly how many sats it thinks it can see.

I don't know what to do with it to be honest. It's quite irritating.

Rilot,

Have you tried swapping out the Gps on your 550 with your phantom? That might give you an idea of where the bottleneck lies.

Good idea.
Will do tomorrow and report back.

In the mean time I've ordered a P2. Been meaning to for a while for the sweet, sweet flight time.

I have a V1 phantom and a V1.1.1 phantom. The V1.1.1 gets gps lock considerably faster than the V1. It also locks every time, I have yet to have a situation where I had any red (if in GPS mode) before takeoff with my V1.1.1.

I have a 1.1.1 P1 and it locks in the house as long as I'm not in the basement. My P2 will get lock also. Both are quick although the P1 is a tad slower both inside and outside. In the house, I rarely get more than 7 on either - outside I get 8 or 9 regularly. However, locking onto GPS is not a real problem with either.

Edit: disregard - I have version 1.1 (duh)

rilot said:
In the mean time I've ordered a P2. Been meaning to for a while for the sweet, sweet flight time.

I'm on the verge of joining you on that for the very same reason - I have 'P2 Envy'.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4