Is the FPV quality better than the P3 Pro ??

Reaction score
I've been hearing several anecdotal reports that the FPV quality of the P4 is better than the P3 Pro --- anyone dispute or substantiate these claims?

From what I gather, they made no modification to the Lightbridge system so FPV should still be 720p @ 30 fps. However, they might have tweaked bit rate or codec which could have impact on live video quality.

Please elaborate!

When the FPV drops out completely past 6,700 feet there is no quality left to evaluate. Much worse, not better! Likely due to the 20% reduction in power output for FPV from the aircraft, over the original W323 P3P!

Last edited:
When the FPV drops out completely past 6,700 feet there is no quality left to evaluate. Much worse, not better! Likely due to the 20% reduction in power output for FPV from the aircraft, over the original W323 P3!

Seems like a really sh*tty idea to drastically reduce power on the Tx --- 3-4 mile range was a big selling point for the P3 !!

I won't be buying the P4 --- too much hype --- too little performance! :mad:

Seems like a really sh*tty idea to drastically reduce power on the Tx --- 3-4 mile range was a big selling point for the P3 !!

I won't be buying the P4 --- too much hype --- too little performance! :mad:
Yup! Hype an improved 3 mile range for control and FPV and then later blame the lack of delivery on the FAA VLOS safety guidelines! :rolleyes:

I've only done a few flights but it's way worse than with my P3P. Stock, it was dropping out between 2000-3000' . With a windsurfer, I lost contact (briefly) causing RTH at just over 6000'. My P3P is solid to twice that distance and has been to over 21,000' with 5 bars at low altitude. From what I've seen so far, the P4 is not a distance flyer, not by any means. I am comparing to an original GL300A P3P.

Looking at the app, it's the same old 720p with selections for 4, 6, 8, 10Mbps. It just doesn't seem to work as well. I will say that I don't have the 32 channel hack working but I don't think that is going to matter much at all. Where I flew there is almost no interference.

What's your source for someone who has evidence the P4 better than a P3P?

I've only done a few flights but it's way worse than with my P3P. Stock, it was dropping out between 2000-3000' . With a windsurfer, I lost contact (briefly) causing RTH at just over 6000'. My P3P is solid to twice that distance and has been to over 21,000' with 5 bars at low altitude. From what I've seen so far, the P4 is not a distance flyer, not by any means. I am comparing to an original GL300A P3P.

Looking at the app, it's the same old 720p with selections for 4, 6, 8, 10Mbps. It just doesn't seem to work as well. I will say that I don't have the 32 channel hack working but I don't think that is going to matter much at all. Where I flew there is almost no interference.

What's your source for someone who has evidence the P4 better than a P3P?
Your P4 and P3P results are identical to mine, and I used the channel hack on 30 on both. Solid as a rock on the old motor P3P out to 5 miles at 50 feet, fully supported by stable video with FPVLR v2 with 3.0A boosters. P4 with full size windsurfer was dead in the air at 6700 feet away, and 3 minutes to recover signal during RTH! It's the 20% reduction in RC power and the additional 20% reduction in aircraft video power output!

It's really a shame when I like so many other features. But I am routinely flying quite far away to shoot and now am limited with the P4. I guess I'll have to keep the P3 after all.

It's really a shame when I like so many other features. But I am routinely flying quite far away to shoot and now am limited with the P4. I guess I'll have to keep the P3 after all.
Same here! The P4 had so much potential! Only after after-market mods have brought it's range and battery capabilities up to the P3P with mods, will it be relevent as an upgrade path for anyone with a P3P flying beyond VLOS.

Well, one thing - I can't get rid of the P4 because the camera is actually a lot better. And I love Sport mode. The my first few tests of tracking and CA worked flawlessly.

Well, one thing - I can't get rid of the P4 because the camera is actually a lot better. And I love Sport mode. The my first few tests of tracking and CA worked flawlessly.
The marketing hype says the P4 camera is better, but the same marketing says the range is 3.1 miles and the flight time is 28 minutes and both are pure B.S.! If you could install 1.1.9 Firmware on your P3P, you would also see Sport mode like speeds on your P3P. On the P4, all Sport mode does is bring the props into the frame. Collision avoidance in the front is a marketing gimmick for newbies. Where it is needed is in the back and on the sides, which you cannot see on the FPV.

Last edited:
All I can say is that my P4 camera is quite a bit sharper than any of the 4 P3P cameras I had. Night and day. Since I still have one P3P I'll do a real comparison sometime soon but P3 cameras vary widely and probably P4s do too.

I flew over 100 times on 1.1.9 and that did not equal P4 sport mode.

Try and FPVLR on your P4.

Your P4 and P3P results are identical to mine, and I used the channel hack on 30 on both. Solid as a rock on the old motor P3P out to 5 miles at 50 feet, fully supported by stable video with FPVLR v2 with 3.0A boosters. P4 with full size windsurfer was dead in the air at 6700 feet away, and 3 minutes to recover signal during RTH! It's the 20% reduction in RC power and the additional 20% reduction in aircraft video power output!

All I can say is that my P4 camera is quite a bit sharper than any of the 4 P3P cameras I had. Night and day. Since I still have one P3P I'll do a real comparison sometime soon but P3 cameras vary widely and probably P4s do too.

I flew over 100 times on 1.1.9 and that did not equal P4 sport mode.
The P3P was already too sharp for most. The P4 specs tout better sharpness on the edges of the frame, but it's sharpness in the center that matters most, and that has not been improved. They also reduced chromatic aberration, but I never saw much anyway. I'm sure the camera lens is slightly better, but the camera itself remains the same. Same sensor size, same pixel density, same ISO sensitivity. My brief Sport Mode test immediately brought the props into the frame, which certainly won't enhance any video. I suspect that if you tweak the P3P settings, you can get a Sport Mode out of it, too, with a more aggressive pitch, as long as the top speed isn't throttled by a later firmware version.

Most of us have the sharpness setting to -2 back on P3P. If it's sharper on P4, then we need to go for -4 this time. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav