Is the FC40 the way to go?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this fantastic forum, I used to fly RC helis but I could master it and im just getting back into the hobby. I am going to buy a phantom but my biggest question is which one? My budget isn't massive so the obvious choice is an FC40 but I'm just wondering if I wait and get a Phantom 2 as there seems to be more updates and features for the Phantom 2. My main thoughts for going for an FC40 are the price, and also the fact that the batteries are cheaper, but on the negative side I'm wondering how long DJI will be selling parts for the FC40/Phantom. Any advice would be greatly received.

The FC40 was the only choice for me. I couldn't afford any of the Phantom 2 flavors.

One advantage with the 2s is that they give the altitude, heading, battery level, etc on the screen.

The enormous price difference for batteries is a deal breaker for me, though. I have seen hacks on how to overcome this, but I don't know if they figured out a way to defeat the "smart" part, that disables the battery after a set number of uses. Look on the Phantom 2 forums.

Get the reg phantom, more choice in FPV gear, I made my fc40 so I can use my dx8 lots of choices in FPV this way

FC40 was definitely the way for me to go. The vision is great, but the price was not so great. Also the vision battery was an issue for me as I wanted to be able to change battery types. I was not liking that Proprietary battery at all, or the price for it. With some slight modifications, you can use a 4000 on the FC40. Also, I can use a gopro on the FC40 without possible interference. I've extended the video range and control range, so distance is not an issue. I can go further, but I have not had the courage to do it. :lol:

Thank you for your replies, all of your comments make perfect sense, I am going to buy the FC40, I hadn't thought about the possible wifi interference issue with the P2. The P2 batteries are just way too expensive for me. I like the idea of using a spektrum TX later on as well.

Torquetube said:
Thank you for your replies, all of your comments make perfect sense, I am going to buy the FC40, I hadn't thought about the possible wifi interference issue with the P2. The P2 batteries are just way too expensive for me. I like the idea of using a spektrum TX later on as well.

It's not just the cost of the batteries on the P2, there are massive reliability issues and crashes because of the 'smart battery', Check out the P2 forum.

I have the FC40 and the P2 none vision, if and when I need a replacement it will be the FC40 for sure. For me, with a bit of modification (battery,props, gimbal) the Fc40 is best most reliable option and cost has nothing to do with that decision.

I wasn't aware of the smart battery issues, that's certainly helped me make my mind up even more. I can't wait to get my hands on the FC40 now.

The FC40 is extreeeeemely durable. Things are constantly running into mine and it just keeps going, like that little battery bunny, but longer. :cool:

I chose the FC40 not just for its low price, but knowing I could upgrade it myself and learn a lot about these things. Buying a Vision/Vision Plus would be great and all, but something about upgrading things myself makes me excited.

Don't do it, get the reg phantom, then you can put your own FPV gear on it, it's even cheaper, think about what you want it for, if it's fpv, get the reg, trust me, or at the price they are going for now, get the 2 ,no need to upgrade anything, it's cheaper in the long run,

pert said:
Don't do it, get the reg phantom, then you can put your own FPV gear on it, it's even cheaper, think about what you want it for, if it's fpv, get the reg, trust me, or at the price they are going for now, get the 2 ,no need to upgrade anything, it's cheaper in the long run,

Can you even find the original Phantoms now?

The FC40 has amazing value. A GoPro bolts right up if you decide not to use its wifi camera. You can do a lot with it for just under $500

I usually buy the top end of what I want so I don't cry later, but in this case I bought the Fc40 and I am not crying. Even got a Gopro which I would have never purchased and have never looked back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers