Is the drone dance compass calibration always a must

Reaction score
I did the so called drone dance once, the day I unpacked the drone. After that first dance I have not done it again. I just unpack, startup and fly. Is the drone dance something that has to be done before every flight?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
No. Best to go with a known good calibration than to risk introducing an issue. Look at your mod values before flight (takes less than 30 sec to check compass, imu, cell balance, RTH height and action and signal quality). Give yourself a minute and you can format your SD and turn off your front boom lights (if its a dawn shoot). I usually look at the radar in GO just after launch to make sure the heading depicted is correct also.

If I travel more than 150km I will recallibrate the compass.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Aside from warnings in the App., there really isn't any hard requirements other than if you add, remove, or relocated any metallic components on the aircraft itself.
There is no specific distance which mandates a recal. I have traveled 600 miles from the last cal location with no issues at the new location or upon returning home. It has more to do with ambient conditions which the App. does a good job of informing you of.

I did the so called drone dance once, the day I unpacked the drone. After that first dance I have not done it again. I just unpack, startup and fly. Is the drone dance something that has to be done before every flight?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know it isn't easy for newbies here to find what they want as there is just so much info!

Calibrating too often is not a good idea!
I have only calibrated my P3 once in 2 years and never had trouble!
Only do it if you get warnings and errors otherwise leave well alone!

At the very bottom of the page. The forum automatically adds links to similar/same questions when they have been asked before. In this case this same question has been asked a lot.
Shows he posted using Tapatalk so he won't have those posts you mention show up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj