Is my bird broke? P3 standard

CWK

Reaction score
Question on my range. Flying around my house, I have a lot of wifi interference (my phone picks up about 7-9), my p3 only gets about 300-400ft. I turned my iPhone on airplane mode and got about 500-570ft. I'm wondering if this is normal or if my bird is broke? I just got it and I'm working 7-12's on midnights so I haven't got a chance to take it to a field. Thanks is advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Interference is the main cause of poor range, video feed and other issues. If you can grab some time to go to a location with minimal or no interference you should get better results.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Question on my range. Flying around my house, I have a lot of wifi interference (my phone picks up about 7-9), my p3 only gets about 300-400ft. I turned my iPhone on airplane mode and got about 500-570ft. I'm wondering if this is normal or if my bird is broke? I just got it and I'm working 7-12's on midnights so I haven't got a chance to take it to a field. Thanks is advance guys!

Sorry man, nobody had responded to you.
We needs some more info... ;)

"my p3 only gets about 300-400ft."?
#1 Height or distance?
#2 What happens?
Loose Remote Control Signal, Still have Live Video, and Phantom wants to RTH?
Loose Live Video and the Go-App ask you to RTH?
Still have remote control signal, (you can still control the Phantom) and the Go-App is asking you to RTH?
#3 Do you loose your Telemetry (Data from the Phantom that shows battery levels GPS signals speed, Height and distance from you?

As posted above, Interference yes, but we don't know, what the problem really is.

Might take some time to figure out how to do it, but load up your flight to HD, You pull it off your mobile device, I will post a link of one of mine so you can see what is shown. If not some more info from you.

Members will help..:)

Guess what, this isn't even mine. :rolleyes:

Somebody shared there flight log, and to view it we had to loaded in to are own account.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Give us some stuff to work with.

Rod ;)

Added: BTW, Just in case welcome to the forum!

Reactions: CWK
Thanks for the response and the welcoming! Love this place so far! I have already learned a lot! It seems to loose video first but the remote signal drops also. It asked me to RTH a couple of times and once it returned by itself. My height was always around 100ft. Today, when I had airplane mode on, i went about 450ft out and was around 100ft height, it lost all data and video feed but I could still control it. I do live by metro airport but it's a good 10 miles away(not sure if that matters). I'm new to the GPS stuff. I've built a bird that I've had for a couple years but never put GPS on it. Thanks again for the help, I will do the flight log as soon as I get home in the morning.

It also seems to always pick up around 9 satellites. Not sure if that's ok or not. Should I crack the shell and make sure the antennas are Hooke up? Could it be a setting for a different country? I

It also seems to always pick up around 9 satellites. Not sure if that's ok or not. Should I crack the shell and make sure the antennas are Hooke up? Could it be a setting for a different country? I

I wouldn't take anything apart yet.

Rod

Seven or nine wifi signals other than yours?? That's about seven too many!! Go elsewhere, they're not make to be flying right above and around a bunch of homes all with wifi routers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Storm
Seven or nine wifi signals other than yours?? That's about seven too many!! Go elsewhere, there not make to be flying right above and around a bunch of homes all with wifi routers.
That's funny, I read that post so many times and I was just focused on what signal he was loosing.
My house and garage I have a total of four, and have all set on different channels. No problems, but each house around here is on a five acre lot.

@CWK, an a Android device, there is an app called WiFi analyzer by farproc, not available for crApple.
Laptop, I used to use, The award-winning wireless networking tool and the best source for your daily Wi-Fi, WiMAX, 3G and VoIP news. | NetStumbler

Rod :)

Added: Hum, after following the link farther, the familiar logo and the name seems to change, so I would jump on that to quickly, you got to be so careful what you install anymore.
:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!!! Really, really appreciate the feedback. I got the app to update to 3.0 and I got out about 2000ft... so, I don't think it's the bird. It's raining on and off here so I only got about 10 mins... I'm gonna make sure the controller is up to date and try the wifi analyzer.

The wifi Analyzer won't show you those routers that are not broadcasting their SSID.....................so there could be more than you think.
Yes, very true, well maybe, I would have to check, but for sure it won't show you what all is transmitting on that frequency, just AP's. Just I note to the OP, if this stuff doesn't make since, the WiFi Analyzer will show you AP's (Access Points) that your mobile device can connect to.

So you will be able to see the signal that is coming from your remote. Even though the signal from the Phantom to the remote is still in the WiFi frequencies (I think). The Analyzer will not see that.

Now on that thought, all of these AP's that you pickup have how many devices hooked to them that you can't see, 2-10? All of these devices are competing (causing interference).

AP's 7-9 (8)
Devices 2-10 (6)
8 X 6 = ALOT
:rolleyes:

Rod

Seven or nine wifi signals other than yours?? That's about seven too many!! Go elsewhere, they're not make to be flying right above and around a bunch of homes all with wifi routers.
You only need 4 sat's to to do a complete connection.

1: Time server
2: X-Geo
3: Y-Geo
4: Z-Geo

Now this is the bare of essentials, but it works for (GPSR) devices.

We are so lucky, we get 10 to 14 sats! I have never got that many on my GPSR/Dash-Cam device I am lucky I get 9!

All I can say is what other responders have said, is to try a different location.

I have not encountered the interference that you described .

Kurt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic