Is it worth the risk?

Humm, doing a search trying to find a battery I see on ebay and I came across this thread. If the battery works as good as a dji and it costs $40.00 less that is something that I would be interested in. Is it worth the risk? I hope folks have at this point determined if there is any risk or not. I found this on ebay today and they say it will extend flight time to 30 minutes. Anyone use 'em?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-11-1V-5 ... 2a418ee268

it is $119.00

I would never, ever trust that battery.
I'd rather pony up an additional $40 to make sure my bird doesnt fall from the sky.

And if it does, DJI wouldnt be able to say boo

dragonash said:
I'd rather pony up an additional $40 to make sure my bird doesnt fall from the sky.

Hi dragonash,

You must be talking about the battery from Ttongr that started this tread. Did you have a chance to look at the one I posted a link to just above. It is only slightly cheaperat $119.00, but it does claim to add a bunch of flying time which would really be nice. There isn't alot we can do to mod batteries in the Phantom 2/vision but actually there are guys out there that can build battery packs and all the connectors are available.

Oh, and finally.. if your bird fell from the sky as you say above, it might not be all that easy to "prove" that the battery failed. But, I am with ya, I hate to see that.. and I did once. I have a phantom v1.2 and I had the non-selftightening props and I sat there and watched as a cap came off and a prop flew off and the bird headed straight to the ground. ouch! (so I have had my bad luck crash so I feel pretty good that it won't happen again)

30 min ?!?

If you get 25min with 5200mAH,
Then you get 26min with 5400mAH
25:5200=0,004808
0,004808x5400=25,96min :lol: :lol:

So there is little profit in time, and if DJI with an update ensures that the bird does not start with a replica battery, then you have nothing. :|

Wedeliver said:
dragonash said:

Hi dragonash,

You must be talking about the battery from Ttongr that started this tread. Did you have a chance to look at the one I posted a link to just above. It is only slightly cheaperat $119.00, but it does claim to add a bunch of flying time which would really be nice. There isn't alot we can do to mod batteries in the Phantom 2/vision but actually there are guys out there that can build battery packs and all the connectors are available.

Oh, and finally.. if your bird fell from the sky as you say above, it might not be all that easy to "prove" that the battery failed. But, I am with ya, I hate to see that.. and I did once. I have a phantom v1.2 and I had the non-selftightening props and I sat there and watched as a cap came off and a prop flew off and the bird headed straight to the ground. ouch! (so I have had my bad luck crash so I feel pretty good that it won't happen again)

In general, I would not trust 3rd party batteries for the phantom 2 and up, specifically because of their new "smart system" or whatever its called.

It's too risky. Besides, 20 - 25 min of flight time is more than enough for me :)

M.Tigelaar said:
30 min ?!?

If you get 25min with 5200mAH,
Then you get 26min with 5400mAH
25:5200=0,004808
0,004808x5400=25,96min :lol: :lol:

So there is little profit in time, and if DJI with an update ensures that the bird does not start with a replica battery, then you have nothing. :|

And you haven't factored in the weight.
Your calcs are based on the fact that the batteries are the same weight.
It could even be less flight time if the battery weighed more.

You are absolutely right :D

General consensus is that props and batteries should be dji. On batteries you are saving 50 dollars to risk a 1000+ dollar toy.

Though I might be persuaded to buy em when I know they are reliable. That is lot of other people bought them before me and have used them a lot without problems.

But well.. I got 5 of the originals so it will be a while before I need to replace one.

Wedeliver said:
Humm, doing a search trying to find a battery I see on ebay and I came across this thread. If the battery works as good as a dji and it costs $40.00 less that is something that I would be interested in. Is it worth the risk? I hope folks have at this point determined if there is any risk or not. I found this on ebay today and they say it will extend flight time to 30 minutes. Anyone use 'em?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-11-1V-5 ... 2a418ee268

it is $119.00
I have looked at these but I wonder... The DJI app lets you know the power level of the battery etc & now it even calculates the power required to return home. Will this work with these non-genuine batteries? I think I will let someone else test them...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj