Is it worth sending in a crashed P4P to DJI for a repair price quote?

Reaction score
My P4P fell out of the sky from 200' yesterday, debris and flight log point to the battery popped out mid-flight. I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not it would be worth it to send it in to DJI for possible repair. I've heard encouraging stories of getting near-new replacement refurb drones for just a few hundred dollars, and contrasting stories where a drone is sent to DJI for a simple single fault and they return a laundry list of problems that the owner wasn't aware of. Gory pictures below. Obviously damaged components are the main body top and bottom, gimbal arm and ribbon cable snapped, landing gear bent, Nav light bezels popped off. The camera itself doesn't appear to have taken much impact but the yaw motor that's till mounted in the underside of the body is noticeably bent to one side. And obviously the battery was toast and the props damaged, but those aren't really going to be part of the quote for repair.

I'm guessing I won't be able to receive a ballpark quote from DJI based on pictures alone, or am I wrong? I mean, if they can look at pictures and say it'll probably be $1000 then it's obviously not worth the effort to repair.

How does DJI handle shipping costs once a repair ticket is opened? Would I need to cover the cost of shipping either or both ways? I'm out in Hawaii, so shipping a box that size would be fairly costly. I'm worried the repair bill will be too high and then I'll need to pay an inflated shipping rate to get the carcass back. If that's the case I may be better off parting it out rather than sending it to DJI in the first place.

Please let me know your thoughts and personal experience.

Thanks!

20210112_140250 cropped.jpg

20210112_140304_cropped.jpg

20210113_084425_resized.jpg

Check out DJI Drone Service - Your Drone Repair Shop.
Wont cost nothing to see what it would cost.
They are venders in seversl of our forums and have used them
and highly recommend them.
@D D S is a member here and might look at your pictures and tell you more.

Check out DJI Drone Service - Your Drone Repair Shop.
Wont cost nothing to see what it would cost.
They are venders in seversl of our forums and have used them
and highly recommend them.
@D D S is a member here and might look at your pictures and tell you more.
Good to know there's another option available, thanks for the heads up. @D D S, if you do see this and need any other pictures or information I'll be happy to provide. Thanks!

Reactions: dirkclod
DJI won’t repair it. They would simply replace it in some fashion.
No decent used ones available in your area?

Don't know about your situation, looks like a lot of damage. I had my first experience with DJI repair last year. I had a problem with my remote not charging. Because of covid I couldn't get the company I usually get repairs though to fix it. Someone on the forum suggested DJI, I heard a lot of negative comments, but took the chance. They repair it and had it back in a reasonable time and for a reasonable price. That's my experience with DJI.

My experiences with DJI have also been good. And as Starz said they will simply send you another one either new or refurbished (you will have to relink to you controller and to be legal get a new FAA registration as it will be a new SN). However, when the camera has been trashed, and it looks like yours has, the cost is going to be pretty steep. As some of your other forum friends have advised there are other options too. Good luck.

I had one P3A flip at launch, shredded the motors while spinning upside down.
Sent to DJI cost $99 and it was a replacement. Don't recall what how shipping was handled.

My experiences with DJI have also been good. And as Starz said they will simply send you another one either new or refurbished (you will have to relink to you controller and to be legal get a new FAA registration as it will be a new SN). However, when the camera has been trashed, and it looks like yours has, the cost is going to be pretty steep. As some of your other forum friends have advised there are other options too. Good luck.
Registration goes to the owner not the drone. I have the same number on all of my drones. 12 at one time but down to 5. Looks like a parts drone but there are P4P’s available at good prices. Some drone only. Good luck.

Reactions: dronesky
Wow--I think in one of the photos I did see a prop you could part out....

Seriously, I am sorry this happened to you.

My two cents on sending it in to DJI Repair: I had to send one in last summer. I am the second owner after an "unofficial sale," meaning DJI was not in that loop. The issue was a non-functioning thumbstick on the controller. That was it. Really. There was no longer any DJI Care Refresh on it. They said they'd be happy to look at it. They provided UPS mailing label and postage, but since I could not get through to them to see if they had also included insurance I ended up paying for outbound shipping. (They covered return cost.)

Sure enough, as someone here mentioned, they found all manner of things wrong with the bird and ended up quoting me something close to $300 for what I figured was about $30 worth of little bits...

Then I got the email that it was on its way. Great, except that UPS did not know anything about it. Getting in touch with DJI in So Cal was a nightmare, and each time (something like five calls in four days) they told me to wait another 24 hours and call back. After a week it turned out that it was still in a bin waiting for Flight Test. Ultimately they did get it out and it turned out that they sent me a "new"(/refurbished) P4Petc. I guess it worked out in the end, especially for no DJI Refresh, but it was not without its issues.

I'll be very interested to hear what they say and do about yours if you go that way.

My P4P fell out of the sky from 200' yesterday, debris and flight log point to the battery popped out mid-flight. I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not it would be worth it to send it in to DJI for possible repair. I've heard encouraging stories of getting near-new replacement refurb drones for just a few hundred dollars, and contrasting stories where a drone is sent to DJI for a simple single fault and they return a laundry list of problems that the owner wasn't aware of. Gory pictures below. Obviously damaged components are the main body top and bottom, gimbal arm and ribbon cable snapped, landing gear bent, Nav light bezels popped off. The camera itself doesn't appear to have taken much impact but the yaw motor that's till mounted in the underside of the body is noticeably bent to one side. And obviously the battery was toast and the props damaged, but those aren't really going to be part of the quote for repair.

I'm guessing I won't be able to receive a ballpark quote from DJI based on pictures alone, or am I wrong? I mean, if they can look at pictures and say it'll probably be $1000 then it's obviously not worth the effort to repair.

How does DJI handle shipping costs once a repair ticket is opened? Would I need to cover the cost of shipping either or both ways? I'm out in Hawaii, so shipping a box that size would be fairly costly. I'm worried the repair bill will be too high and then I'll need to pay an inflated shipping rate to get the carcass back. If that's the case I may be better off parting it out rather than sending it to DJI in the first place.

Please let me know your thoughts and personal experience.

Thanks!

View attachment 121197
View attachment 121198

View attachment 121199
My P4 would not update firmware and was not safe to fly. Shipped it back to DJI to have them diagnose and repair/update software. There were no other issues with the P4. I received a message from them that stated the unit had a cracked landing gear (What?) and damage to the gimbal. I was a bit shocked because I had never flown the unit at extreme heights, never landed it hard enough to squash a fly, so I was shocked, to say the least. Long story short, it cost me $237.00 for the repairs, which were impossible to be there, but what are you going to do? cheaper than a new unit. It doesn't cost anything to get an repair estimate so you can weigh between repair or replace. Good luck.

Reactions: Thetruckerspodcast
My P4 would not update firmware and was not safe to fly. Shipped it back to DJI to have them diagnose and repair/update software. There were no other issues with the P4. I received a message from them that stated the unit had a cracked landing gear (What?) and damage to the gimbal. I was a bit shocked because I had never flown the unit at extreme heights, never landed it hard enough to squash a fly, so I was shocked, to say the least. Long story short, it cost me $237.00 for the repairs, which were impossible to be there, but what are you going to do? cheaper than a new unit. It doesn't cost anything to get an repair estimate so you can weigh between repair or replace. Good luck.
INTERESTING!! That was what they told me! Complete with pictures of things that were so tiny I'd never have noticed. They specifically mentioned the landing gear issue and the gimbal yaw motor. Below is the list of issues they sent me, starting with the one item I'd alerted them to, the Control Stick Module... They "found" all the other issues, and like kycruiser1 I figured somewhat "what the (Mod Removed Language).."

Note the similarity of their price to what they quoted kycruiser1.

Anyone else have any thoughts or additional observations here...????

Item List

Remote Controller Control Stick Module

Quantity: 1
Net Price : 16.00
Total Price: 16.00

Aircraft Upper Shell
Net Price : 6.00
Total Price: 6.00

Right Landing Gear
Net Price : 11.00
Total Price: 11.00

Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Motor V2
Net Price : 13.00
Total Price: 13.00

Middle Frame
Net Price : 21.00
Total Price: 21.00

Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 3
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 195.00

Tax (Ca sales tax)

Freight

Total Amount

Discount of Material

Discount of Service

Total Payment (USD$)

Last edited by a moderator:
DJI won’t repair it. They would simply replace it in some fashion.
No decent used ones available in your area?
It took many months to find this one in my area, and I certainly won't find another one for anywhere near the estimated costs I'm seeing other people discussing.

My only two cents is insurance. If youre in the US I pay State Farm $60.00 per year for coverage of my p4p+, p4p obsidian and a p3pro. Ive had one
claim where my p4p+ just fell out of the sky, they just wanted pictures, let me keep the p4p+ and 5 days later I had a check in the mailbox for replacement and they said let us know if we can help again.
Just a thought but it feels a lot more relaxing knowing I have someone to help out
Good luck ✌️

Reactions: Capt KO and MTO
My only two cents is insurance. If youre in the US I pay State Farm $60.00 per year for coverage of my p4p+, p4p obsidian and a p3pro. Ive had one
claim where my p4p+ just fell out of the sky, they just wanted pictures, let me keep the p4p+ and 5 days later I had a check in the mailbox for replacement and they said let us know if we can help again.
Just a thought but it feels a lot more relaxing knowing I have someone to help out
Good luck ✌️
It's actually insured through State Farm, and I can certainly submit a claim. Problem is it sounds like a little over half the people who've submitted as claim get paid, then their policy is cancelled within a few weeks. I've got 2 other Drones and other camera gear on that Personal Articles policy, and I don't want it cancelled if the alternative is a service cost that ends up just being a few hundred bucks.

My experience with DJI's repair service was good. They were quick and I thought reasonably priced. Not sure but if you contact them they might send you a shipping label, I can't remember for sure.

Registration goes to the owner not the drone. I have the same number on all of my drones. 12 at one time but down to 5. Looks like a parts drone but there are P4P’s available at good prices. Some drone only. Good luck.

Capt KO, thank you. Seriously, I did not realize that registration went with the owner and not the drone. The FAA must appreciate dummies like me since I have registered at least a half dozen at this point. I don't doubt you on this but where in the rules, documentation, etc. does it say that? Just for my future reference, and so I don't lead anyone else astray. Thanks again!!

Reactions: Capt KO
Capt KO, thank you. Seriously, I did not realize that registration went with the owner and not the drone. The FAA must appreciate dummies like me since I have registered at least a half dozen at this point. I don't doubt you on this but where in the rules, documentation, etc. does it say that? Just for my future reference, and so I don't lead anyone else astray. Thanks again!!
Nowhere in the FAA UAV license does it mention the type of drone or how many drones it can be attached to. They only want to know who owns it in case of trouble or violation. Saves $.

Unless you hold your Part 107. Then you register the drone.

Reactions: Capt KO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.