Is it worth it? Help with thoughts about DJI Phatnom 2

Reaction score
Hi, I have been thinking about DJI Phantom 2 for a pretty long time now and would appreciate some input about my thoughts. So if you would like to help me a little bit, I will explain my requreiments and what I have flown before and my situation.

I started with a hubsan x4, in the beginning it was difficult but it became easier and very fun with time! However, I never learned how to fly it inside properly, I live in a flat with no big rooms. I have a WLToys v262 and it is so smooth! I can fly in al directions and spirals, hover nose in and I have even done some easy aerial videos with it. I have tried a mini fixed pitch helicopter too, I was able to fly it around in circles inside and such but then I crashed it and it did not work anymore.

I don't like to fix with things, tweak and tune, I am not into aerobatics and I want something low maintenance and RFT, nothing else, just RTF, not build on my own or get radios and such. I want something stable, smooth and pretty slow. I needs to be pretty wind resitance and easy to set up and start with. I am a seasonal flyer, which means I won't fly in every season because it's cold during the winter. I am not sure, but would DJI Phatom 2 be a good choice? Or is it too difficult to fly and too much to set up with the software? I would like the model without gimbal and maybe attach my mobius camera with velcro and take it away when I would fly just for fun.

Is it a bad idea? Other suggestions? Is it worth it? And one more question, is it strange to fly a phantom even if you don't do aerial videos all the time? I want to practice more how to fly figure eights and squares and just relax and have fun.

What is cheaper in the long time run, let us take an example, a DJI Phantom 2 or a little mini helicopter? I mean, I phantom is more expensive to buy, but is the maintenance cost low if you don't crasch? The total cost of ownership is very important.

By the way, can you change the stick sensitivity in the software program?

Welcome to the forum !
The phantom is a good choice a lot easer to fly than a helicopter . You can fly it right out of the box you do not need to update I'm still flying on the oldest software that came with it .
I fly about 50/50 with and without a cam I just like to fly and yes you can set your gains low .
Just keep in mind that anything RC can and will have problems witch will take some fixing and tweaking just part of the game .
If your going to leave it sit for long times keep the batteries at 50% .
I like my phantoms more so than my helicopters .
Take some time and read here look at the stickies their are a lot of good people here and everything you could want to know can be found with a little bit of searching .

kla_ra said:
I don't like to fix with things, tweak and tune, I am not into aerobatics and I want something low maintenance and RFT, nothing else, just RTF, not build on my own or get radios and such. I want something stable, smooth and pretty slow. I needs to be pretty wind resitance and easy to set up and start with
There's a reason the Phantom line is the biggest selling personal drone out there.
It's because it's the best out-of-the-box flying machine you can get.

kla_ra said:
I am not sure, but would DJI Phantom 2 be a good choice? Or is it too difficult to fly and too much to set up with the software?
Is it too difficult??
Really, it takes about 5 minutes to learn to fly (but longer to become proficient).
Take your hands of the sticks and it's like hitting the pause button.
It's easier than any of the cheaper "training quads" some people recommend.

kla_ra said:
I would like the model without gimbal and maybe attach my mobius camera with velcro and take it away when I would fly just for fun
Gimbals tend to be pretty specific. You'd probably have to use a camera that the gimbal is designed for.

Love my Phantom but to be completely honest if you have not made the purchase I would seriouslm look into the Hubsan X4 Pro. Not saying one way or another but the Hubsan looks like it has a lot to offer.

Upside in my book is that other products of theirs I have owned are tough as nails, the customer service is great, they are packed with features. Downside is it is the first they have put out that is this advanced so there is not a lot of material out there or forums like this to share info.

Upside to Phantom is that its well known and there are tons of online communities like this for support, lots of parts out there. Downside is that customer service is HORRIBLE, they release bad firmware before it has been tested enough, and repairs can take forever. They seem to rush production of new models and the QC can be bad.

Just got my phantom 2 V2 a few days ago! Trust me, it is well worth it. I have a blade 350QX as well, it is all good until I test flown one of my buddy phantom, from then there is no turning back. It is so easy to fly, the phantom is super stable in wind as well. I can spend a lot more time focusing on the composition on the video rather than keeping the quad in the same spot.

Hello, and thank you very much for nice replies! Just what I needed. Sure there are other brands too of course, what seems to be great with the Phantom is all available information and that I can buy the product where I live and can use the warranty if needed. Otherwise there are a Cheerson cx-20 too, half of the price, but not sure about it.

However, I think even if I don't know, that rc helcopters are high maintenance, what about the DJI Phantom 2? The total cost of ownership is important, since I don't want to buy something and notice that it will become very expensive over time. I would say I am a conservative flyer in general. I am not even sure if I would use the GPS, maybe I would ba afraid to use it sinceI've read about fly aways. :) Well, of course I could try to keep a battery in shape, charge and discharge, I could even replace a motor in a small quadcopter since no soldering was required. Otherwise, I am not technical at all and I don't have much knowledges in computers and softwares either. But if you can fly it right out of the box, it seems fine, even if I think I could update something, but it seems odd to me you can use software for the battery and almost every parts. :)

Oh, I thought it would be a bit difficult to fly since it is heavier than the other aircrafts I flown. But well, with the one I have I can hover nose in, fly in different directions and turn and do different things, but I need to practice figure 8.

Alright great, I would not be alone use a Phantom not only for aerial video then? I could not find anyone using a mobius with velcro on a phantom 2, only at the first model. I hope it does not mess up things with the softwares if no gimbal is added.

I think that's the rest of my thoughts about this, any input, especially about cost over time and maintenance, but even about the other things would be nice. Sometimes one can buy something cheap and end up repairing it and over time it will become expensive. On the other hand, a Phantom has a lot of parts and they are not cheap. So it is of course interesting.

kla_ra said:
The total cost of ownership is important, since I don't want to buy something and notice that it will become very expensive over time.
The major wear and tear cost will be the batteries. And, if you crash your Phantom (and crash often), this is going to be a super expensive hobby for you.

kla_ra said:
I am not even sure if I would use the GPS
Flying in manual mode is the only way to not use the GPS. Unless you're an expert at manually flying UAVs, then I don't recommend you ever try manual mode. You will most likely crash and destroy your Phantom.

kla_ra said:
I am not even sure if I would use the GPS, maybe I would be afraid to use it since I've read about fly aways.
Yes, you would use the GPS.
99% of Phantom flying is done using GPS - it's what makes it so easy to fly.

msinger said:
The major wear and tear cost will be the batteries. And, if you crash your Phantom (and crash often), this is going to be a super expensive hobby for you.

Thank you, I think I would behable t ohandle it, I would take very small steps, at least I have flow quadcopters before, but not that heavy. Maybe I need to change battery once a year?

msinger said:
Flying in manual mode is the only way to not use the GPS. Unless you're an expert at manually flying UAVs, then I don't recommend you ever try manual mode. You will most likely crash and destroy your Phantom.

Oh sorry, maybe I got something wrong, but I thought that atti mode would be easy too, like flying a quadcopter without GPS?

Meta4 said:

Thank you, what about atti mode? If I don't get enough satellites or want to fly in anohter flight mode than GPS, is atti mode not a good option?

kla_ra said:
Meta4 said:

Thank you, what about atti mode? If I don't get enough satellites or want to fly in another flight mode than GPS, is atti mode not a good option?
Unless you want to fly in a canyon, a forest or a warehouse you will get enough satellites.
Atti mode is fine, but nowhere near as easy or useful as GPS for most flying.
Forget your fears about GPS, they are unfounded.
GPS gives your Phantom the ability to hold position, even in wind and the ability to return home if the control signal is lost.
Almost all Phantom flying is done in GPS mode because it's best and easiest.
It's what everyone does.

Meta4 said:
Unless you want to fly in a canyon, a forest or a warehouse you will get enough satellites.
Atti mode is fine, but nowhere near as easy or useful as GPS for most flying.
Forget your fears about GPS, they are unfounded.
GPS gives your Phantom the ability to hold position, even in wind and the ability to return home if the control signal is lost.
Almost all Phantom flying is done in GPS mode because it's best and easiest.
It's what everyone does.

Alright! Thank you for your input. If I get a phantom, I will mostly fly in a city, but in open files or just practice in smaller places, it is not a very big city and a lot of open spaces, soccer fields and basket ball fields and so on. If the Gps glitches I can switch to atti mode and land it I suppose?

Thank you everyone for great inputs, I have to think for awhile before I decide anything. I read that the gps is sensitive if you land hard, and then you can't reach the software, but I suppose you can read both bad and good reviews about the most things. Oh right, does anyone know why the rear led lights are green and the front red? Should it not be the opposite? ANd, does it matter which version of the Phantom 2 you get, v2 or something else?

kla_ra said:
I read that the gps is sensitive if you land hard, and then you can't reach the software, but I suppose you can read both bad and good reviews about the most things.
The GPS antenna piece can break if you CRASH hard but should stand up to landings.

kla_ra said:
Oh right, does anyone know why the rear led lights are green and the front red? Should it not be the opposite? ANd, does it matter which version of the Phantom 2 you get, v2 or something else?
The lights are that way just because DJI did it that way so the front and rear lights show differently to display status indicators.
If DJI followed convention as aircraft and ships do for navigation lights, they would have had red on the port side and green on starboard.

As for versions, they are minor upgrades .. like this year's Ford Focus vs last year's Ford Focus.
Nothing to get excited about but if you're buying new you'll probably only have the latest version available anyway.

Get the v2 .
ATTi will drift wind will carry it that is all .
Do not be fearful of flying read the manual understand the light flashes they tell you whats going on . See if someone here is in you area and can show you some hands on .Update your profile so we now about where you are that can help . If your in the states I would use B&H to order from .

750r said:
Get the v2 .
Do not be fearful of flying read the manual understand the light flashes they tell you whats going on . See if someone here is in you area and can show you some hands on .Update your profile so we now about where you are that can help . If your in the states I would use B&H to order from .

Alright, thank you! I live in north Europe, I have flown quadcopters before, but not with gps. So I think the best would be to start in an open field, lift and land it and the learn it flight characteristic slowly and carefully, and yes of course read the manual. Yes the flashes, I watched some videos, seems to be a good system. Not sure if it is the v2 in the local store, I will ask first.

I read something that you are not a real rc pilot if you use gps and that you shall not buy RTF and so on, but I guees it's just an opinion among others and can be ignored. Why not use the gps since it also has advantages.I just don't understand why, I think it is a an solution.

kla_ra said:
750r said:
Get the v2 .

I read something that you are not a real rc pilot if you use gps and that you shall not buy RTF and so on, but I guees it's just an opinion among others and can be ignored. Why not use the gps since it also has advantages.I just don't understand why, I think it is a an solution.
Pay no attention to that comment I have been flying for long time the phantom is my first GPS bird and it is nice to have . People that say things like that have head problems just mad at life or something . I have spent months learning how to fly helicopters when I was younger (very hard) when I got my first phantom took it out on a windy day and could not be leave how easy it was to fly . Once you get good you can try manual mode witch you are 100% in control but DO NOT do it if you have any fear :twisted:
Good Luck let us know how it goes .

kla_ra said:

The main use case for the Phantom is aerial video and photos. For this purpose the Phantom is awesome. Super stable and smooth. GPS and altitude hold are mainly used to make super smooth and accurate videos and pictures. As a RTF quad, the Phantom is perfect for what is intedended for.

If you want to fly in manual mode without GPS and altitude hold and without all the extra technology to maily fly fast and do some flips etc... then the Phantom is not the best for this. In this case building a custom quadcopter is the way to go, or buying something smaller and more "sport" like without the fragile gimbal. Something like a blade 200qx, etc.

i keep reading the phantom is easier to fly than a helicopter, but if you had similar electronics in a helicopter it would be as easy to fly as a phantom. try flying the phantom without GPS and ATTI switched and it is just like flying a heli, perhaps harder??

750r said:
Pay no attention to that comment I have been flying for long time the phantom is my first GPS bird and it is nice to have . People that say things like that have head problems just mad at life or something . I have spent months learning how to fly helicopters when I was younger (very hard) when I got my first phantom took it out on a windy day and could not be leave how easy it was to fly . Once you get good you can try manual mode witch you are 100% in control but DO NOT do it if you have any fear :twisted:
Good Luck let us know how it goes .

I second that, a good explanation. I think it's a small minority that argue like that anyway. It does not have to be hard, it should be relaxing and fun. It is a huge advantage that it can handle some wind too! Hehe, I think I stick with the atti mode and GPS mode at first if I get one. I just checked the availability, it seems to be out of stock at the moment, I also have to figure out so it is the v2 model. Sure, and thank you so much! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic