Is it safe to carry "fully charged" batteries on an airplane?

Reaction score
I'm planning to travel to another state by airplane with my Phantom 2 in a carry case. Is it safe to bring it with fully charge batteries?

I wouldn't I would put them at around 50% .
GL!

The TSA requires that batteries are charged, so don't try to travel in the US with fully discharged ones.

-- Roger

I just took one from Hong Kong to Australia. No problem.
Hand carry though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy to confirm that I just went through DFW airport scanners etc. No issues what soe ever. Smooth as silk. Had 3 batteries with P3 as carry-on. Ready to take off to the Bahamas to get some good footage. Stay posted on youtube under dwcola keyword Bahamas Nassau. This confirms you CAN travel with Phantom. Good luck !!!

I'm happy to confirm that I just went through DFW airport scanners etc. No issues what soe ever. Smooth as silk. Had 3 batteries with P3 as carry-on. Ready to take off to the Bahamas to get some good footage. Stay posted on youtube under dwcola keyword Bahamas Nassau. This confirms you CAN travel with Phantom. Good luck !!!
That's great news to hear, thanks for letting us know, I'll be doing the same thing in a couple of months.

Puts me mine at rest a bit now;) I'll be taking me phantom on as "carry on" with two batteries.

Reactions: mad in nc
For an extra air of "legitimacy" try some of these - - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...scharged_Battery_Indicator_Caps_5_Pairs_.html

SOC really isn't an FAA/TSA concern. All they're interested in is Wh and maybe protection on the plugs. Make sure to carry labelled bricks only so they can easily determine Wh.

OK.... I'm the dumb a$$ here. What is WH? SOC?

and those "caps" won't work on P2 batteries..... If they ask just push the "on" button of the P2/P3 battery to know the level versus finding or changing the colored cap...

Reactions: Clampit
OK.... I'm the dumb a$$ here. What is WH? SOC?

and those "caps" won't work on P2 batteries..... If they ask just push the "on" button of the P2/P3 battery to know the level versus finding or changing the colored cap...

Sorry, SOC = state of charge. Wh = Watt hour - expression of battery capacity.

And once again I'm the dumb a$$ because I only know P1 birds....

Thanks for being the dumb ***, otherwise I would have had to ask about SOC.

Thanks for being the dumb ***, otherwise I would have had to ask about SOC.

Same here 707:D the only differance is I'm always the "dumb arse":D

I just flew from Hanoi to Can Tho, Vietnam. First time ever any airport security opened up and counted my five batteries. No issues other than counting.

I'll take credit on the dumb a$$ as I started it - and here's the fas rules on batteries being:

From the link below - "Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery.

Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (100-160 watt hours per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment. Most lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics are below this size."

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

I'll take credit on the dumb a$$ as I started it - and here's the fas rules on batteries being:

From the link below - "Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery.

Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (100-160 watt hours per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment. Most lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics are below this size."

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
Hey dumb arse:D sorry nc:p

Thanks for finding the info out, much appreciated :p so now it's just the matter if we can take our phantom on in a carry case as hand luggage;)

Reactions: mad in nc
I use $40-$60 foam cutout backpack and nobody blinks an eye USA domestic carry on either overhead or under seat.

Only thing I can envision which could be a TSA snag someday might be the props? Sharp CF “steak knives” might raise some concern? Particularly length as TSA tends to limit some tools over 7”-9”.

I was forced to check a bag with Tri-crimp (Anderson PowerPole) tool flying out of LGA couple months ago. Security theatre - don’t get me started…

I use $40-$60 foam cutout backpack and nobody blinks an eye USA domestic carry on either overhead or under seat.

Only thing I can envision which could be a TSA snag someday might be the props? Sharp CF “steak knives” might raise some concern? Particularly length as TSA tends to limit some tools over 7”-9”.

I was forced to check a bag with Tri-crimp (Anderson PowerPole) tool flying out of LGA couple months ago. Security theatre - don’t get me started…
Didn't think about the props, yeah you could be right, hope not...
I'll be taking my phantom in a B&W type 61 case as carry on, well I hope tooooooo;)

Didn't think about the props, yeah you could be right, hope not...
I'll be taking my phantom in a B&W type 61 case as carry on, well I hope tooooooo;)

Shhh... Let's not tell anyone?

If it ever becomes a problem my plan would be to check the bag with props but remove the batteries and P1. Maybe the TX too. For this reason I always carry a lightweight foldable shoulder duffle, just in case.

Also, if you get TSA PreCheck and/or FF (frequent flyer) things always seem to be much gentler.

I'll be flying from Heathrow into Miami then a short haul flight with American Airlines to st Maarten so fingers crossed all should be ok;) I hope......

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1