is it possible to use the BlueTooth on a Hero4 on a Phantom

Reaction score
i'm determined to get a Hero 4, but wondered if the BlueTooth on it could be used to connect your phone/tablet to it & control the camera while in flight on a Phantom? Adjusting the camera settings while in the air would be a big bonus

Re: is it possible to use the BlueTooth on a Hero4 on a Phan

As far as I am aware, the current firmware only allows bluetooth and wifi to be on at the same time, and no option for bluetooth on its own, as it's possibly the same chip. The wifi will interfere with the P2 control signal, although it's possibly, it's very risky and you are at a high chance of having a fly away.

thanks, i knew of the wifi issues which is why i was asking if BlueTooth was an option.

Don't use GoPro Wifi when flying your Phantom! it will cause crash or flyaway, unless you'are upgrading your radio system with dragonlink and fly manually turning on your GoPro wifi will not interference with your system

Bluetooth has a very limited range. I doubt it will be useful for you.

Bluetooth is a wireless technology created by Ericsson the Telecom company. Although there are wifi and bluetooth can operate at the same time... Bluetooth broadcasts on 2.4 GHZ

Not a good idea with the 2.4 GHz control of a Phantom 2 and although bluetooth has a very short range... it's awfully close to a receiver in the P2.

The reason why Bluetooth and WiFi are only available together is because the latest iteration of Bluetooth effectively uses WiFi for high data rate paths and the legacy Bluetooth system for less data intensive communication.

Not advised to use BT or WiFi at the same time as the R/C. The range is rubbish anyway. The maximum you will get out of it is less than 100m and at that range control will be flakey, with video drop out. R/C control will also be unpredictable. It could work fine, then suddenly lose connection for a few seconds, and this can happen at any distance, not just on the limit of control.

who cares ... even if it had a mile range. as long as it interferes with control DJH.

If you turn on bluetooth to your hero4 does the wifi also turn on auto? Ive been flying my phantom 2 (i have never upgraded it just straight out of the box) can I always control the hero4 via bluetooth and hadnt had any problems, have i just been getting lucky? probably have done about 10 flights like this! is this bad? will it be worst when i update?

also my phones wifi which the hero4 is connected to has wifi on but ive also used it with wifi off and saw no diffrence

tyrell said:
If you turn on bluetooth to your hero4 does the wifi also turn on auto? Ive been flying my phantom 2 (i have never upgraded it just straight out of the box) can I always control the hero4 via bluetooth and hadnt had any problems, have i just been getting lucky? probably have done about 10 flights like this! is this bad? will it be worst when i update?

Yes, the WiFi and Bluetooth operate from the same chip together. Yes you've been lucky so far. All it takes is the WiFi signal to interfere with the control frequency of the Phantom and it could start behaving oddly. Updating either device shouldn't make a difference. You may not have any issues using the WiFi but to be safe I wouldn't

i do have the 5.8Ghz AVL58 video kit, which I thought might be the reason I havnt had any problems, would that make any difference in terms of the use with wifi? since its 5.8 and not 2.4? just wondering?
Im just going to avoid setting myself up for trouble and not use the wifi/bluetooth, I've only encountered to times that Ive changed camera setting in flight anyway and the pros just dont beat the cons, very glad I am across all this before anything bad happened! Thank you for possibly saving my phantom! Let me know if you think the 5.8Ghz AVL58 video kit may have made a difference and why I havnt had any problems compared to the 2.4?

tyrell said:
i do have the 5.8Ghz AVL58 video kit, which I thought might be the reason I havnt had any problems, would that make any difference in terms of the use with wifi? since its 5.8 and not 2.4? just wondering?
Im just going to avoid setting myself up for trouble and not use the wifi/bluetooth, I've only encountered to times that Ive changed camera setting in flight anyway and the pros just dont beat the cons, very glad I am across all this before anything bad happened! Thank you for possibly saving my phantom! Let me know if you think the 5.8Ghz AVL58 video kit may have made a difference and why I havnt had any problems compared to the 2.4?
The video feed on the 5.8ghz along with the radio being on 2.4ghz are fine, and is used all the time by just about everyone. You should not have any interference problems with these two, as they work on (obviously) different frequencies. BUT, if you turn on the wifi on the go pro camera, now the camera is sending out second 2.4ghz signal and is just 6 inches away from the internal radio receiver inside the phantom that is also trying to get the same frequency from the radio in your hand that may be hundreds of meters away from that Phantom. So bottom line...DO NOT turn on the wifi and/or bluetooth in the gopro camera. It is an accident just waiting to happen.

So:
5.8ghz for video feed - GOOD
2.4ghz for radio feed - GOOD
2.4ghz for Gopro wifi/bluetooth - BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD...just don't do it. Unless you like playing...Russian roulette!!!

Thank you for that, I am going to count my blessings and keep the gopro wifi off whenever in flight, im glad nothing bad happened in the past and now I will avoid it in the future.

we just dun know when the wifi will 'choose' to interfere with the phantom... going the FPV route is not too bad actually.. there is a lot of option out there.. from DIY to almost plug and play versions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4