Is it possible to restart your motors and regain contorl after a mid-flight CSC command?

Reaction score
Is it possible to restart your motors after a mid-flight CSC command? Has anyone had to do this in an emergency situation:

1) Initiate CSC command mid-flight,
2) Let it free-fall,
3) Restart motors and regain control before hitting the ground?

Reactions: Jeffro115
For some reason I think it would flip upside down. I think someone should try it and get back to us. Please video the fall also.

Reactions: BigAl07
True but still possible. A blanket "no" seems a bit shallow. I believe it can be done. Unlikely but still a possibility.

I managed to recover from a crash hitting a water tower (long story but not my fault). Fell from ~350 to 24'. But I flew away rather than hitting the ground. At least one prop was fully stalled at hitting the tower (visible in video). I flipped to atti and managed to get it to recover. I am not saying I could ever do it again. But I did it once :) That was sufficient.

Back in the P2 days there were reports and, if I recall correctly, videos, of this technique being used to bring aircraft back from excursions to silly altitudes. I can't find any links though. As I remember it did seem to require a couple of hundred feet for the aircraft to recover control after motor restart.

Search YouTube and you will find a guy that tested this under the best possible conditions. They dropped it from another drone and although the motors started, it failed to right itself, thus it was full power into the ground. They must have money to burn.
I wouldn't try it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

True but still possible. A blanket "no" seems a bit shallow. I believe it can be done. Unlikely but still a possibility.
I was assuming the OP is asking if this can be done successfully every time it's tried. If it can only be done successfully 1/1000 times, then a blanket "no" is hardly a shallow answer. Furthermore, there is no video and/or log file anywhere on the Internet showing this ever being successfully done with a P3. I apologize for the brevity of my answer, but the answer is surely no and nobody should be fooled into thinking this will work for them.

I tried it in the simulator. Motors restarted but AC always hit the ground.

I would think you would need quite a bit of room to slow your decent. If your talking about a normal flight where CSC is triggered by mistake, by the time the pilot realizes what's happening and responds, it's too late

This might be done to safely see in the simulator. Wolf, nice recover. Any clue why you side swiped the tower? Your fault or something else? In your case the traffic below was luckier than you getting your bird back in good shape. Good reminder.

Just watched the video, great recovery. But keep in mind the motors never stopped working.

I managed to recover from a crash hitting a water tower (long story but not my fault). Fell from ~350 to 24'. But I flew away rather than hitting the ground. At least one prop was fully stalled at hitting the tower (visible in video). I flipped to atti and managed to get it to recover. I am not saying I could ever do it again. But I did it once :) That was sufficient.

That was pretty arsey.
I think hitting the wire was your saving grace there.It stopped the tumbling and put the Phantom in an orientation it could recover from.
Imeasurable amount of luck and uncanny timing.

This might be done to safely see in the simulator. Wolf, nice recover. Any clue why you side swiped the tower? Your fault or something else? In your case the traffic below was luckier than you getting your bird back in good shape. Good reminder.

I know exactly what caused it. At the end, you can see the root cause :) The two granddaughters sitting on the back of my truck. I was leaning against the side of the truck. They were horsing around and one poked the other on a bruise. She kicked. That knocked the RC out of my hand landing upside down on the truck bed pressing the stick right stick forward driving the bird into the tower. By the time I got ahold of the RC and tablet all I could see was green on the FPV. So, not my fault. Not the bird's fault. Not Litchi's fault. Not DJI's fault. The root cause was scolded after my nerves calmed down.

And it wasn't over traffic during the crash and fall. It was over some open area next to the tower. It was over the alley after I got control and started to ascend again as I was wanting to get clear of the power lines so wind didn't blow me into them (atti mode) while I was trying to assess the bird's flight ability to bring it home or land there and drive to pick it up.

That was pretty arsey.
I think hitting the wire was your saving grace there.It stopped the tumbling and put the Phantom in an orientation it could recover from.
Imeasurable amount of luck and uncanny timing.

As far as I know, it never hit the wires. It was darn close though. Darn close.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1