Is it a bad idea to leave you battery in the drone?

Reaction score
... or should you leave it out, is it still connected to something in some way ?? - or does it not matter.

Don't think you should store your battery in your bird for long period of time.
Some say it could compress the terminals in the bird. Myself I remove it.

Reactions: Dome
It's the only way I have found to carry four batteries in the hard shell backpack. The Spring terminals for the high current contacts get replaced with the battery, the signal connections should have a long service life as the tension doesn't seem to be that high. Will keep an eye on it though.

Dont they come with battery installed?
I mean the drone can be on the shelf for 6 month, i think if it was an issue manufacturer would not package them with battery in the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Juventino
Mine came with the battery out.

I have seen an Inspire melt to the ground in the case and it was later determined that the battery had caused it. Had the battery not been stored in the bird only the battery would have been lost.

After I fly I pull the battery so it can cool properly. Just my 2 cents.

Mine came with the battery out.

I have seen an Inspire melt to the ground in the case and it was later determined that the battery had caused it. Had the battery not been stored in the bird only the battery would have been lost.

After I fly I pull the battery so it can cool properly. Just my 2 cents.
If you have ever seen a LIPO go up, it doesnt matter if it is in the bird, case or next to the case. a 4S LIPO at this capacity has a rather impressive fireball and is a very hot metal fire. Its gonna burn stuff up if it goes.

I always take mine out. Not worth risking the investment. Also I like to keep one of these silica gel bags in with the drone just in case to keep the moisture out of the electronics

Reactions: toddsworld
If you have ever seen a LIPO go up, it doesnt matter if it is in the bird, case or next to the case. a 4S LIPO at this capacity has a rather impressive fireball and is a very hot metal fire. Its gonna burn stuff up if it goes.
I store mine in their own case and when cooling after a flight they are not IN a case or near a case.

I keep mine in an alternate case so I can control the temp of the batteries better in very hot or very cold temps.

Keep it out. I never store anything especially for longer periods of time with the battery in it. Even power tools with their newer batteries.

Reactions: BigAl07
Does anyone know the most common reasons for one of these batteries to violently self destruct?
I've never seen a LiPo go and I pray I never do. Because it's so rare, most people (Including me!) probably don't treat them with nearly the respect they deserve. I saw the light when I accidentally shorted the wire harness on a Blade Nano with a 125ma-h LiPo. This little tiny battery instantly blew the wire harness up, with flames and smoke, only minor burn before I dropped it so fast. It must have sourced 20A for an instant. When I looked at that little teenie battery and the smoldering mess, then looked at the BIG Phantom Smart Batteries, I shuddered.

The wires acted as a circuit breaker and the battery appeared undamaged. I know the bigger batteries generally are supposed to be internally protected from shorted outputs, and I don't know the most common mechanism for catastrophic failures, but there is a lot of energy in there, and quickly releasing it will be quite the show, and if not in a safe place, will take a lot with it! Like your house even!

Does anyone know the most common reasons for one of these batteries to violently self destruct?
I've never seen a LiPo go and I pray I never do. Because it's so rare, most people (Including me!) probably don't treat them with nearly the respect they deserve. I saw the light when I accidentally shorted the wire harness on a Blade Nano with a 125ma-h LiPo. This little tiny battery instantly blew the wire harness up, with flames and smoke, only minor burn before I dropped it so fast. It must have sourced 20A for an instant. When I looked at that little teenie battery and the smoldering mess, then looked at the BIG Phantom Smart Batteries, I shuddered.

The wires acted as a circuit breaker and the battery appeared undamaged. I know the bigger batteries generally are supposed to be internally protected from shorted outputs, and I don't know the most common mechanism for catastrophic failures, but there is a lot of energy in there, and quickly releasing it will be quite the show, and if not in a safe place, will take a lot with it! Like your house even!
You can look at rcgroups.com forum for a video of me intentionally shorting a LIPO and resultant fire. THis is years ago when I was working with a dude to develop the liposack fire bag. Anyway, Lipos are tons more stable now, but still use volatile solvents in the electrolyte. Once the internal chemistry goes awry (ie short, deep discharge, over charge) - the exotherm nukes the solvent, which starts the decomposition of the lithium salts. External shorts can burn the leads, external shorts can lead to internal shorts in which case, she gonna blow.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks to OP for this interesting thread.

I fly my P3 frequently and never thought of removing the battery and storing it external to P3. I come back home, recharge the batteries and plug one into P3. So far nothing bad has happened but I'm alarmed now.

These batteries have internal electronic switch to disconnect the battery pack from the terminals. That way I'm happy that terminals will not corrode due to moisture ionization and also hope that battery terminals and P3 contacts have identical surface material to avoid external corrosion. But why should we take a chance, better remove the battery from the P3 slot and save it in the case.

Yeah this was a good thread!

I've always kept my batteries in but since they can potentially be dangerous I will now take them out. I always however maintain my batteries on all devices like a crazy person. And for the Phantom always keep them at low 30% charge when I won't be using it for 24 hours...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj