Is IOC a lazy way to fly ?

Reaction score
Hi I'm just waiting on my iPad to arrive then I going for my maiden flight. I was wondering should I use the IOC feature for a while until I build up confidence or should I fly normally as a friend of mine told me flying in this mode is a lazy way and that I should fly normally from day one. Your thoughts would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should learn to do the basic flying... However it's a quad copter and a drone (when used in some IOC modes), so it's really not about flying anything at all.. It's about operating a plane/drone.. If you want to fly - then go get an RC helicopter or a plank. The Phantom "Drones" are not about flying. Have fun with what it is.

I wouldn't call it "lazy". Frankly, it's just the wrong way to fly under most circumstances. IOC is great if you're flying from waypoint 1 to 2 trying to keep focus on one point. However this same approach (when looking at FPV) will hide your forward view from that tree you're about to run into cause you're camera's turned port side and you're still moving forward.

Flying normal orientation isn't terribly difficult, just takes practice. If you need to, practice flying in a square pattern, at each corner hover in place for a second or two then yaw in the direction you want to travel then move forward to the next corner, rinse and repeat. Just remember, forward is always 'stick forward'. Build that muscle memory and eventually you can add a little 'right stick' to the yaw (same direction) to massage that corner turn into a more natural arc. Search 'quad flight school' or 'flight instruction' on YouTube for a demo.

(Edit). BTW..this all assumes you've taken the first steps of hovering in place, followed by flying in a square pattern without changing orientation.

My opinion is to manually fly for quite a while to get proficient doing so. I mean, get good at it and train your brain/hand response in every orientation. IOC can be useful for really nice filming. It's not lazy, it has a purpose for filming and in some emergency situations when you may lose orientation of the bird. You want lazy, or to become lazy and rusty even if you can fly well, it's apps like litchi, etc. It produces altogether much better film and safer, easier flight. But you have to mix in flying manually every so often so your skills don't get rusty. Learn to fly well so you can recover if IOC fails.

IOC is mainly useful for video shooting. For your learning, fly without it in P-GPS mode and enjoy.

should I use the IOC feature for a while until I build up confidence or should I fly normally

First get the skills to go safely up & down and to some distance & back. Learn RTH (I'm still learning how to interpret radar data).

Then, if you are into video, learn how to set the AC & camera for autonomous flight with apps like Litchi or Autopilot.

I now do all my videos with Litchi's pre-planned missions. When they are executed and if there is enough battery, I switch to manual and get some more footage before landing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20