Is Flying Backwards As Safe As Flying Forwards?

Reaction score
If I am maintaining VLOS, is it as "safe" to fly backwards as it is to fly forwards with a P3A?

By that, I am asking if there are any stability issues or maneuverability issues, or is endurance reduced, when flying backwards? Maybe with all the weight of the battery the quad is not designed to fly backwards for prolonged periods of time? (Can you tell I am a noob at this???)

The reason i ask is because when you want to fly the drone back toward you, but flying it backwards the left and right "line up" (move stick left, it goes left, move right, it goes right). If flying the drone FACING you, then the stick movements are opposite to the drone movements.

I understand that the camera will be facing away from me, but if I am just flying by VLOS toward me, will it be ok to fly backwards for several hundred feet?

(Yes, I understand that in a perfect world I need to get used to how the sticks operate when the drone is facing TOWARD me, but I just want to make sure that if I am ever in a point where I get nervous or the bird doesn't seem to be doing what I want, I can rotate it so the backside is facing me and bring it in using "more intuitive" stick movements.)

If I am maintaining VLOS, is it as "safe" to fly backwards as it is to fly forwards with a P3A?
It's perfectly safe to fly in any direction.

Forward and backward is a concept that doesn't really apply to drones. They can move equally well in all directions. The P series needs to yaw to pan the camera, I find it better to think in terms of course and heading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Technical Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav