Is FAA approval still required?

Reaction score
So I have read (and think I understand) the thread regarding the "commercial use" of a drone. Based upon what I have read, I need an exemption AND a pilot's license to take aerial imagery and get paid for it.

If I take pictures / video of something for someone for free then I am all good? In other words, it is only "commercial use" if I am getting paid to do so, right?

Do I have this right?

So I have read (and think I understand) the thread regarding the "commercial use" of a drone. Based upon what I have read, I need an exemption AND a pilot's license to take aerial imagery and get paid for it.

If I take pictures / video of something for someone for free then I am all good? In other words, it is only "commercial use" if I am getting paid to do so, right?

Do I have this right?
Commercial use is getting paid.. And no, you dont need a pilots license. Just the exemption for 90% of the commercial uses people have

Commercial use is getting paid.. And no, you dont need a pilots license. Just the exemption for 90% of the commercial uses people have
Just curious - with all the FAA stuff one has to read through - where does it define what commercial uses not require a pilots license - everything I read never listed exemptions from the pilot rule (I am a home inspector using my P3A to photograph steep roofs) - I don't want to end up in FAA jail

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Just curious - with all the FAA stuff one has to read through - where does it define what commercial uses not require a pilots license - everything I read never listed exemptions from the pilot rule (I am a home inspector using my P3A to photograph steep roofs) - I don't want to end up in FAA jail

I believe that as part of each 333 exemption a part of it still states that a licensed pilot, sport pilot, commercial pilot etc needs to be the operator.

The FAA also made two other changes to the Section 333 exemption process last week:

• The agency now allows operations under these exemptions by people who hold a recreational or sport pilot certificate. Previously, Section 333 operators were required to have at least a private pilot certificate. The newly added certificates are easier to obtain, and therefore less costly, than a private pilot certificate.
  • A third class medical certificate is no longer required. Now, a Section 333 operator only needs a valid driver’s license to satisfy the medical requirement. This change is consistent with the agency’s approach for sport pilot certificate holders, who may fly light sport aircraft with a driver’s license and no FAA medical certificate.

• I may be wrong but until the new rules are made next year You still need some type of pilot certificate

Reactions: III% Streve
thats what I read and what the FAA drone safety officer told me when we visited last week - I am awaiting the new FAA rules - I am not spending thousands of dollars to learn to fly just to take pics to roofs as an added feature to my inspection reports

thats what I read and what the FAA drone safety officer told me when we visited last week - I am awaiting the new FAA rules - I am not spending thousands of dollars to learn to fly just to take pics to roofs as an added feature to my inspection reports

yea I am pretty much waiting myself for the new regs to see what hoops I'll need to jump then!

Here is my question to this - If you say you provide this as a free value added service, have you broken the rules if you are operating without the exemption and license?

Fly the flight. Charge the fees. Then at some point later, offer the photos as an.. Oh ya. I took these the other day. Thought you might like them.

I think the FAA rules say whether or not you charge for the service using the drone provides - all the FAA requirements are to be followed in a commercial endeavor - the problem is that if someone complains, sites your business in the complaint, the FAA may come after you - I have yet to hear any of these bozos that fly around airports being lead away in handcuffs - so what would the FAA do if you are caught taking pics (not near an airport) as part of your business

How about Filming, then getting paid for just editing only
Here is my question to this - If you say you provide this as a free value added service, have you broken the rules if you are operating without the exemption and license?
Fly the flight. Charge the fees. Then at some point later, offer the photos as an.. Oh ya. I took these the other day. Thought you might like them.
These suggestions come up all the time in forums but if you were to come to the attention of the FAA they just wouldn't fly.
The FAA's definition for using the Phantom for commercial purposes is quite broad and doesn't even require that you charge $$.
Whether you come to the FAA's attention is another matter.

Moved to the General section as it is not specific to the P3.

Also, this has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum already. I highly recommend searching.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4