Is calibration always needed?

Reaction score
hey guys, quick question, if I'm outdoors and it's green because of GPS lock and it says safe to fly, do I still need to calibrate the compass? Do I always need to calibrate the compass for every flight like the P2?

if I'm outdoors and it's green because of GPS lock and it says safe to fly, do I still need to calibrate the compass?
When the lights go green, that confirms GPS lock but it is unrelated to compass or compass calibration.
Do I always need to calibrate the compass for every flight like the P2?
You didn't need to calibrate the P2 before every flight.
The manual never suggested you do.
It only suggested whenever you fly in a new location - with no explanation of what constituted a "new location".
Many users found they could go for months and travel more than 100 miles without recalibrating.

The P3 manual is similarly vague but Inspire flyers have reported that they are able to safely fly without constant recalibration.

It is basically recommended you recalibrate if/when you notice idle drift that isn't caused by wind.
I have gone months without recal too.

No need to calibrate every flight.. Only time I calibrate is if my new flying site is over a hundred miles from previous location. If I start noticing the craft j hooking or toilet bowling.

I can't imagine that calibrating before every flight hurts anything, if that makes you more comfortable. I recalibrate at new sites regardless of distance, and occasionally if I just feel like it...takes 10 seconds. It's a personal preference thing...

How do you set return to home site?
I was told that calibrating compass also set the RTH, which I had my doubts about.
This came from P2 guy.

Home is set during the startup process and can be identified by the second set of rapidly flashing green lights. It can also be dynamically set but not sure if that feature is active in the P3 yet...others will know...

Home is set during the startup process and can be identified by the second set of rapidly flashing green lights. It can also be dynamically set but not sure if that feature is active in the P3 yet...others will know...
Question: When calibrating, the two screens come up - first the horizontal circle, then the vertical circle. After doing both, the screen is still up, and to close it the "cancel calibration" button needs to be pressed. Is that it? Is there a "successful calibration" screen that comes up, or do you end the procedure simply by hitting the "cancel" button?

I avoid calibrating often as the magnet declination change in my area is low. I figure there is always potential for compass cal error with rebar, underground wiring or anything else for that matter. So unless I am going several hundred miles away I am not going to touch it.

Wiki and seconds vs $ 1350.00 I calibrate compass every location.
I also make sure it is correct map location.

Looks like 50-50 on this subject. I see no need to calibrate unless I am 100 miles plus away from previous calibration. Even the DJI guys will tell you there is no need. And besides that, it make you look ridiculous turning in a circle like that with a drone. :)

I can't imagine that calibrating before every flight hurts anything, if that makes you more comfortable. I recalibrate at new sites regardless of distance, and occasionally if I just feel like it...takes 10 seconds. It's a personal preference thing...
There is always the possibility of something going wrong. Doing it everyone means those chances increase.

Last edited:
Not understanding what you are trying to say?
Sorry, I corrected spell check. There is always the possibility that something will go wrong with the calibration. If done every time, there is more of a possibility of this happening. As opposed to flying many times and never having a problem. Magnetic north simply does not change unless you move a hundred miles or so.

Last edited:
thanks so much tcope makes perfect sense. Ya get some folks that are insistent on calibrating every time. I think you are right on....appreciate it!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik