Is a SD card necessary to do firmware update?

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a quick question. I am going to be upgrading to a Phantom 3 pro from the Phantom 2.
the phantom 2 has been great over the past year or so. But with the more demanding things people are asking me the Phantom 2 has reached its limits to what i can do without adding parts to it.

So question i want to ask before it arrives next week is the updating firmware.
i was watching DJI's video about firmware and how you have to use a SD card to update it and listen for beeps.
Isn't this a step backwards from what i could do with my Phantom 2? I could plug it right into my PC and update it with a USB cable with the Phantom 2 Assistant App.
why don't have anything like that for the Phantom 3?

If this is the only way you can update it. how often would i have to do this?

If this is the only way you can update it.

Yes.

It comes with a MicroSD card though, so all you need is an adapter and a computer with an SD slot or a USB SD card reader. It's not much hassle, really.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. There's also a micro USB connector on the gimbal that you can use to access the card. It's a pain that way though, because you have to lug the Phantom around to your computer and the Phantom needs to be powered on during USB access.

Yes.
Edit: Actually, I take that back. There's also a micro USB connector on the gimbal that you can use to access the card. It's a pain that way though, because you have to lug the Phantom around to your computer and the Phantom needs to be powered on during USB access.

How is that different from the P2 then ??

How is that different from the P2 then ??

Point being, it's a pain compared to just pulling the Micro SD, accessing it with your computer, and then bringing it back to the Phantom at your leisure, not worrying about physical space for the Phantom or having juice left in a battery.

So if i plug the Phantom 3 into the PC directly i could update it without messing with the SD card.
that is a lot better. because taking the card in and out so many times is going to be a real pain in the butt.

that is a lot better. because taking the card in and out so many times is going to be a real pain in the butt.
You're obsessing about nothing.
It takes all of 5 seconds and when DJI get around to releasing the next update, it's something you might have to do only every couple of months.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4