Is a flight like this too creepy?

Reaction score
I noticed a something when reviewing an old video shot a couple of weeks ago. Went back and decided to make a fly over.

Not creepy but is pretty well hid . No telling what might be going on down there .
Don't think I would go there on foot to investigate :eek:

Not only is a flight like that creepy. In certain parts of the country it would likely get your bird shot out of the sky.

There is no expectation of privacy when you are standing out in the open air. Even when standing on your own property. But that doesn't mean people aren't going to be wigged out and/or pissed off if you park your drone over them and capture footage.

Yes its too creepy and it can only ever add to the negative public perception we already suffer from. There is extremely little possible upside to a flight like this from a public perception point of view.

I would use extreme caution in making this a public video. You could possibly have discovered someone manufacturing illicit drugs. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

Depending on where this is, it could be something as innocuous as homeless folks using what's available to them.

Even if it's nothing illegal, all you do is give a bad impression to those too ignorant to understand what most of us do with these drones. At worst, they perceive it as government overstepping in their surveillance of the public. Either one gives our hobby drones a bad name.

Personally, if it weren't MY property, I would NEVER have returned to observe. I don't think it's just creepy. IMNSHO, I believe it to be quite the example of irresponsible use by the pilot.

Personally, if it weren't MY property, I would NEVER have returned to observe. I don't think it's just creepy. IMNSHO, I believe it to be quite the example of irresponsible use by the pilot.

I disagree. Sometimes we're too quick to make assumptions and then criticize based on our assumptions. Calling it irresponsible use by a pilot is going a little too far. n6vmo stated merely that he noticed something in an old video and went back to make a flyover. We don't know that he necessarily returned to observe or do a surveillance on anything or anyone.

I agree on being extremely cautious about publicly posting the video.

I disagree. Sometimes we're too quick to make assumptions and then criticize based on our assumptions. Calling it irresponsible use by a pilot is going a little too far. n6vmo stated merely that he noticed something in an old video and went back to make a flyover. We don't know that he necessarily returned to observe or do a surveillance on anything or anyone.

I agree on being extremely cautious about publicly posting the video.

As I said, if it isn't my property, I have no business being there to check out something I saw on a previous flight simply to satisfy my curiosity. Even if it's known public property, the moment it became clear people were walking around what appeared to be some type of structures, I would have removed my drone from the area immediately.

Granted, perhaps the OP couldn't really tell via his display there were people walking around at the time. But I would think he did. Otherwise, why not fly closer and do a more precise inspection?

Do whatever you think you can handle. As I said, it's MY personal opinion and in that opinion, it's irresponsible flight.

I always notice a lot more after I download than I do on my live displays. And though I don't limit my flights to only over my own property, I agree that I don't want folks to feel they're under surveillance from my drone.

(I prefer to use a ghillie suit and optics for that.)

I always notice a lot more after I download than I do on my live displays. And though I don't limit my flights to only over my own property, I agree that I don't want folks to feel they're under surveillance from my drone.

(I prefer to use a ghillie suit and optics for that.)

I prefer to use an M134 minigun from the gunners window of a MH-60K myself.

I believe it's unethical. If I'm hanging out doing whatever around my pad, and I saw/heard a drone parking overhead observing me, I would not like it at all. "Do unto others" is a concept that needs to be brought back into everyday conversation. My .02

Reactions: BlackHawk388

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik