IS A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT DUE AGAINST DJI

Reaction score
How many on here are having trouble like me contacting the DJI North America tech support either by phone or e-mail.

In recent weeks, DJI has changed their phone support line to a pre-recorded message and at the end of that message, it tells you that due to "extremely heavy call volume", they are unable to take your call and to try back later. It then hangs up on you. I have also sent them two e-mails on their support page, and still have not heard back from them. I received my new P2V+ bird on Monday May 5, 2014, and today is Thursday May 8, 2014 and have yet to hear back from anyone at DJI regarding my out of the box malfunctioning P2V+.

After reading hundreds of posts, and dozens of threads ragarding malfunctioning Phantoms, Phantoms that simply just fall out of the sky, Phantoms that after a few flights lose GPS lock and fly off, and many others, it is appearing that these birds made in China have little to do in the way of quality control and workmanship. All DJI's marketing materials boast about how easy these birds are to fly.

For the price we all have had to pay in the form of $1,300 or more for these, plus add on extras, then couple that with down time, repairs and the lack of communication and support from DJI, I can see why Colin Guinn had such a difficult time working there.

I am considering contacting an attorney in the neighborhood of the DJI North America offices in Los Angeles to seek a possible class action injunction against them for several actionable causes. I'm sure it won't take long for this attorney to acquire a long list of potential plaintiffs either after reading many of the posts on here. It's too bad DJI is unable to address its customers concerns anymore via phone support and even via e-mail. It's like they just pulled the plug on communications and support.

I know guys who were just livid about flying their quads enjoying life in the outdoors and posted hundreds of messages on Phantom Pilots, but after repeatedly experiencing failures, damaged craft, down time and lost aircraft, they quit flying DJI products and went to other competitors after having enough.

I have printed out all my posts regarding my frustration and lack of support with DJI and recommend to anyone else who is experiencing similar frustrations do so as well. Granted, there are many who have no problems. But, it is inevitable that if you fly your DJI bird enough times, you will experience some form of a malfunction. If you haven't then count your blessings and continue to enjoy what the rest of us are still not able to.

Once my brand new out of the box malfunctioning bird is fixed, I do not plan to buy anymore DJI products and could care less about my awards points. I have lost filming at special events I had scheduled and the embarassment of having a brand new bird I still can't fly is just not worth the $1,300 price tag. I welcome your suggestions but if you are posting just to attack, don't bother.

Emjoy the day.

QJ

PS: Remember, I asked the question, "Is a Class Action Law Suit Due Against DJI" Be respectful with your opines.

Did you buy it with a credit card or paypal? If so use the payment protection and get your money back. But 3 days with a faulty copter and you suggest a class action???

I understand your pain but I think its going to be more trouble than its worth. A friend of mind ordered a Vision after seeing mine a few months ago. When there was out of the box problems and he got no response he contacted his CC company and told them not to pay the charge. He was contacted very quickly after that from support. Might want to give that a try....

Lawyers love class action lawsuites. $4mil to the lawyers, $40 to the owners.

Also, call DJI right when they open, wait through that message, and it'll put you in the queue. I'm sure you have better things to do, but it is what it is at this point.

Class action is not the answer.

The only thing that will fix DJI is competition. Once a competitor that does it right comes to the table they will be forced to change. But right now the demand is so high that people are willing to take the gamble on their products.

Qwadjok said:
How many on here are having trouble like me contacting the DJI North America tech support either by phone or e-mail.

In recent weeks, DJI has changed their phone support line to a pre-recorded message and at the end of that message, it tells you that due to "extremely heavy call volume", they are unable to take your call and to try back later. It then hangs up on you. I have also sent them two e-mails on their support page, and still have not heard back from them. I received my new P2V+ bird on Monday May 5, 2014, and today is Thursday May 8, 2014 and have yet to hear back from anyone at DJI regarding my out of the box malfunctioning P2V+.

After reading hundreds of posts, and dozens of threads ragarding malfunctioning Phantoms, Phantoms that simply just fall out of the sky, Phantoms that after a few flights lose GPS lock and fly off, and many others, it is appearing that these birds made in China have little to do in the way of quality control and workmanship. All DJI's marketing materials boast about how easy these birds are to fly.

For the price we all have had to pay in the form of $1,300 or more for these, plus add on extras, then couple that with down time, repairs and the lack of communication and support from DJI, I can see why Colin Guinn had such a difficult time working there.

I am considering contacting an attorney in the neighborhood of the DJI North America offices in Los Angeles to seek a possible class action injunction against them for several actionable causes. I'm sure it won't take long for this attorney to acquire a long list of potential plaintiffs either after reading many of the posts on here. It's too bad DJI is unable to address its customers concerns anymore via phone support and even via e-mail. It's like they just pulled the plug on communications and support.

I know guys who were just livid about flying their quads enjoying life in the outdoors and posted hundreds of messages on Phantom Pilots, but after repeatedly experiencing failures, damaged craft, down time and lost aircraft, they quit flying DJI products and went to other competitors after having enough.

I have printed out all my posts regarding my frustration and lack of support with DJI and recommend to anyone else who is experiencing similar frustrations do so as well. Granted, there are many who have no problems. But, it is inevitable that if you fly your DJI bird enough times, you will experience some form of a malfunction. If you haven't then count your blessings and continue to enjoy what the rest of us are still not able to.

Once my brand new out of the box malfunctioning bird is fixed, I do not plan to buy anymore DJI products and could care less about my awards points. I have lost filming at special events I had scheduled and the embarassment of having a brand new bird I still can't fly is just not worth the $1,300 price tag. I welcome your suggestions but if you are posting just to attack, don't bother.

Emjoy the day.

QJ

You could save yourself from frustration by simply ordering from a dealer versus direct. Then you can get hands on support from dealer.

tedw123 said:
Qwadjok said:

Emjoy the day.

QJ

You could save yourself from frustration by simply ordering from a dealer versus direct. Then you can get hands on support from dealer.

Not necessarily. The dealer I purchased from sent me to DJI

Reactions: Daletri
Good luck trying to sue a Chinese Manufacturer...... GM tried it when a Chineses Manufacturer reversed engineered a exact copy of one of GM's vehicles for world market sales at 1/5 the price and was unsuccessful. All that will happen is they will close the USA service center and then you'll have to ship it overseas for repairs.

Remember the saying "be careful what you ask for...."

It is frustrating and I do feel your pain but in reality there is very little that could be done legally to DJI that would actually do something.

What is needed is a reputable competitor to jump in with a quality product at near the same price point that is reliable and does what we expect these things to do.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Did you buy it with a credit card or paypal? If so use the payment protection and get your money back. But 3 days with a faulty copter and you suggest a class action???

Credit Card direct through DJI. My previous P2V was through a dealer.

Also, For those who don't know or don't read these threads much, look over my other posts and read the hundreds of others that have the same issues I am having. Just because you haven't had one yet doesn't mean you won't.

QJ

ShoreBird said:
I understand your pain but I think its going to be more trouble than its worth. A friend of mind ordered a Vision after seeing mine a few months ago. When there was out of the box problems and he got no response he contacted his CC company and told them not to pay the charge. He was contacted very quickly after that from support. Might want to give that a try....

Shorebird. Good idea. Thanks

QJ

jalpert said:
Lawyers love class action lawsuites. $4mil to the lawyers, $40 to the owners.

Also, call DJI right when they open, wait through that message, and it'll put you in the queue. I'm sure you have better things to do, but it is what it is at this point.

Class action is not the answer.

Jalpert

When you have hundreds or more of customers with a list of complaints and technical problems not being addressed and the problems continue and a quad that costs $1,300.00 US, you bet DJI will listen. They listened when Colin jumped on them as well. Remember, those who shake up the nest, do so on behalf of everyone so those who are scared to get involved, a class action will also help them with better service, higher quality controls, faster RMA's and so on. imo

QJ

lifo said:
The only thing that will fix DJI is competition. Once a competitor that does it right comes to the table they will be forced to change. But right now the demand is so high that people are willing to take the gamble on their products.

You are exactly right. Competition breeds quality service, quality controls and lower prices. imo

QJ

Qwadjok said:
When you have hundreds or more of customers with a list of complaints and technical problems not being addressed and the problems continue and a quad that costs $1,300.00 US, you bet DJI will listen. They listened when Colin jumped on them as well.

Guinn's lawsuit is very different than a class action lawsuit. But please, spend some money to file suit, then try to class action certification,then be patient over the years while the suit wends its way through the courts and then, finally, enjoy the pennies on the dollar that you will receive as a part of a settlement (best case of course -assuming the class prevails).

The reality is that litigation is much messier than what you see on your evening drama shows.

[/quote]

You could save yourself from frustration by simply ordering from a dealer versus direct. Then you can get hands on support from dealer.[/quote]

Ted. My first bird was a P2V ordered from a dealer. They couldn't fix that one and sent it back to DJI. Read my threads on that experience also. A total of 5 weeks lost and all DJI did was uninstall all software/firmware and re-installed them. The dealer who does do repairs should have been able to fix that..... imo

QJ

JimDE said:
Good luck trying to sue a Chinese Manufacturer...... GM tried it when a Chineses Manufacturer reversed engineered a exact copy of one of GM's vehicles for world market sales at 1/5 the price and was unsuccessful. All that will happen is they will close the USA service center and then you'll have to ship it overseas for repairs.

Remember the saying "be careful what you ask for...." THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SAYING. IF THEY CLOSE THE SERVICE CENTER, WHICH IS UNLIKELY, ALL THAT WILL HAPPEN IS A NEW PRODUCT WILL EMERGE AND TAKE OVER THE LANDSCAPE.

It is frustrating and I do feel your pain but in reality there is very little that could be done legally to DJI that would actually do something. THEN YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH NORTH AMERICAN LAWS IF YOU THINK THIS.

What is needed is a reputable competitor to jump in with a quality product at near the same price point that is reliable and does what we expect these things to do.
YOU ARE SOMEWHAT CORRECT HERE. BUT A LOWER PRICE POINT WOULD SCARE DJI STRAIGHT. IMO

QJ

panhygrous pantler said:
Qwadjok said:
When you have hundreds or more of customers with a list of complaints and technical problems not being addressed and the problems continue and a quad that costs $1,300.00 US, you bet DJI will listen. They listened when Colin jumped on them as well.

Guinn's lawsuit is very different than a class action lawsuit. But please, spend some money to file suit, then try to class action certification,then be patient over the years while the suit wends its way through the courts and then, finally, enjoy the pennies on the dollar that you will receive as a part of a settlement (best case of course -assuming the class prevails).

The reality is that litigation is much messier than what you see on your evening drama shows.

DAH........ NO DOUBT. I have successfully sued 2 very large companies so I do know a little bit about the legal system.

Just a suggestion, but if you have the option to purchase with a Credit Card that offers purchase/ theft/ damage protection, like American Express, for example, go that route. If anything goes wrong, i.e defect/ crash/ theft, etc, American Express replaces whatever you purchased no questions asked....

LarryLeisure said:
Just a suggestion, but if you have the option to purchase with a Credit Card that offers purchase/ theft/ damage protection, like American Express, for example, go that route. If anything goes wrong, i.e defect/ crash/ theft, etc, American Express replaces whatever you purchased no questions asked....

Larry don't have that or Am Ex.

QJ

Dispute the charge, get your money back. It seems some people payed with debit, if you did, you made a choice to waive a ton of rights as a consumer and that's the bed you made. Debit is just silly, with skimmers, fraud, DOA products, so much can go wrong.

You're good, it'll work out. File the dispute. Class action? Seems a bit crazy here.

Qwadjok said:
LarryLeisure said:

Larry don't have that or Am Ex.

QJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav