Ireland

Reaction score
Well guys, I just finished packing up the P3P in its Tradecraft case and locked it with a TSA approved lock. I Drained the flight batteries to 3% and 8% for transport as carry on baggage. I decided not to risk tempting fate with flights over the weekend before my wife and I leave for Ireland on Tuesday. (Doubt I could get a replacement in time for the trip!! [emoji11])
Going to be in olde Eire for 3 weeks and intend to make the most of it. 40th wedding anniversary and she is in charge of the ground photos (Canon 7D Mark II and GoPro Hero3) and I do everything from the air. Really looking forward to some great flying.
I'll try to post some video when I get back, until then I wish you all clear skies, calm winds, low Kp ratios and safe landings.

Reactions: dirkclod
That's not good for the batteries. You should put them at 50%.

50% is for extended non use when not flying on an airplane. From the DJI battery manual:

"1) Discharge the battery to 30%-50% if it will NOT be used for 7 days or more. This can greatly extend the battery life."

However, and also From the DJI intelligent Battery Manual:

"Travel Notice1) Before carrying the Intelligent Flight Battery on an airline flight, it must first be fully discharged. This can be done by using your aircraft until the battery is depleted. Only discharge the battery in a fireproof location."

If stored in a depleted mode the battery may enter hibernation mode. Also from the manual.

"Battery Storage...3) The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period. When in hibernation mode, if you try to power on the battery, the battery power LED will show a solid red light and the battery level LEDs will all be off. You cannot manually turn off the battery power LED in this state. Leave the battery unattended for 5 minutes, and then the light will turn off. Recharge the battery to bring it out of hibernation ..."

Have fun, please be aware of our much less permissive laws regarding UAVs:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16012

Basically don't fly near buildings, roads, and people. No neighbourhood flying like you can enjoy in the US!

Thanks Trumple.
I've spent some time looking at the laws already but I appreciate our taking the time to send this. I'll do my best to comply with and respect your laws.

Reactions: Trumple
Thanks Trumple.
I've spent some time looking at the laws already but I appreciate our taking the time to send this. I'll do my best to comply with and respect your laws.

No problem, sorry for assuming you hadn't already checked - better to be safe than sorry.

Other than the wedding, where do you plan to fly? There's lots of beautiful countryside there :)

Reactions: Jeff48920
Hopefully we can get some time early before the crowds come in near Giant's Causeway, the Arrans, some of the standing stone sites, and Atlantic coast line. We are staying at Ballynahinch Castle so I would love to get some distance videos of it from across the lake. Also I would love to get some shots in the Burren National Park but understand I can't take off from inside the park. Lots of logistics to play nice with the locals, but we want to make friends, not enemies.

50% is for extended non use when not flying on an airplane. From the DJI battery manual:

"1) Discharge the battery to 30%-50% if it will NOT be used for 7 days or more. This can greatly extend the battery life."

However, and also From the DJI intelligent Battery Manual:

"Travel Notice1) Before carrying the Intelligent Flight Battery on an airline flight, it must first be fully discharged. This can be done by using your aircraft until the battery is depleted. Only discharge the battery in a fireproof location."

If stored in a depleted mode the battery may enter hibernation mode. Also from the manual.

"Battery Storage...3) The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period. When in hibernation mode, if you try to power on the battery, the battery power LED will show a solid red light and the battery level LEDs will all be off. You cannot manually turn off the battery power LED in this state. Leave the battery unattended for 5 minutes, and then the light will turn off. Recharge the battery to bring it out of hibernation ..."

Forget what the manual says in regards to this. The term fully discharged can be interpreted several different ways.... Let's not forget who translated this manual.

Ianwood is right, you are damaging the batteries by leaving them at that state of charge, GUARANTEED. This will lead to an over discharged battery because the cells drop in voltage much faster as they go further past storage level.

Sounds fantastic, I'd love to see some of the footage.

In my experience, and judging by what people report on the forums here, people in the UK are a lot more relaxed when it comes to drones/quadcopters, so you'll likely be met with a positive attitude. I'm not aware of the byelaws for that specific park but you appear to be under the impression you cannot take off from there - worth seeking a copy of the local byelaws if you haven't already.

Forget what the manual says in regards to this. The term fully discharged can be interpreted several different ways.... Let's not forget who translated this manual.

Ianwood is right, you are damaging the batteries by leaving them at that state of charge, GUARANTEED. This will lead to an over discharged battery because the cells drop in voltage much faster as they go further past storage level.

OK. I appreciate the feedback but Please provide some documentation references that I can review before I make up my mind on whether to ignore DJI's recommendations. Also, it seems to me that Hibernation mode is there to protect against problems like you describe.

OK. I appreciate the feedback but Please provide some documentation references that I can review before I make up my mind on whether to ignore DJI's recommendations. Also, it seems to me that Hibernation mode is there to protect against problems like you describe.

Refer to the minimum voltage requirement and the 80% rule.

https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/charging-how-tos/lipo-terminology

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=336421

The reason why the Hibernation mode exists is due to something called parasitic load.. If it wasn't for this mode, the intelligent circuit that's built into these batteries would actually be capable of severely over discharging the battery when it's already at a critically low state, which would most likely ruin the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianwood
http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/charging-how-tos

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=336421

The reason why the Hibernation mode exists is due to something called parasitic load.. If it wasn't for this mode, the intelligent circuit that's built into these batteries would actually be capable of severely over discharging the battery when it's already at a critically low state, which would most likely ruin the battery.

Thanks. I'll give those a read. I really appreciate the links.

I lived near Giants Causeway for 4 years and been there numerous times. Don't take the bus down to the shore line below the cliffs, but instead take the foot path on top of the cliffs from the Visitors center. Few people go that way and you will have numerous opportunities for launch. About a two mile easy walk. Then there is a path that you can take down from the cliffs to the rock formations once you have finished your flying. Then take the bus back up with the rest of the family. Have fun, great locations. Another suggestion, try to go to the suspension bridge a few miles further down the coast, even better scenery missed by most tourists but the locals will be happy to give you directions.

I lived near Giants Causeway for 4 years and been there numerous times. Don't take the bus down to the shore line below the cliffs, but instead take the foot path on top of the cliffs from the Visitors center. Few people go that way and you will have numerous opportunities for launch. About a two mile easy walk. Then there is a path that you can take down from the cliffs to the rock formations once you have finished your flying. Then take the bus back up with the rest of the family. Have fun, great locations. Another suggestion, try to go to the suspension bridge a few miles further down the coast, even better scenery missed by most tourists but the locals will be happy to give you directions.

Thanks brother. Will take your advice.

A fully charged LiPo has a better chance of bursting into flames in the event of a short circuit when compared to a LiPo at 50% charge. More stored energy equals more heat in a worst case scenario. This is why it is always suggested that people discharge them down to storage level before taking them on a plane.

A fully charged LiPo has a better chance of bursting into flames in the event of a short circuit when compared to a LiPo at 50% charge. More stored energy equals more heat in a worst case scenario. This is why it is always suggested that people discharge them down to storage level before taking them on a plane.

Question: If the battery is fully charged, will airline security take your battery away? Also, would it be better to keep them in one of those LIPO safety charging and storage bags?

Question: If the battery is fully charged, will airline security take your battery away? Also, would it be better to keep them in one of those LIPO safety charging and storage bags?

I doubt they would even check. The bags certainly help, but all they're really concerned about are the positive and negative terminals being exposed. I would wrap the terminal openings in electrical tape just to be safe incase they check.

I doubt they would even check. The bags certainly help, but all they're really concerned about are the positive and negative terminals being exposed. I would wrap the terminal openings in electrical tape just to be safe incase they check.

I certainly don't want to cause some sort of explosion or fire on an airplane while travelling, but I figure if the battery is in fact malfunctioning on an airplane, we have a problem one way or the other. Kind of off topic but, all those full cell phone/camera/random electronics and charging stations at every seat seem to pose an issue also.

But if this half charge actually helps prevent an accident I'm all for it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31