iPhone sunshade possibility

Mosleyh said:
I just ordered one of these:

http://www.glarestomper.com/320.html

...and will let everyone know how it works on an iPhone 5s+case in the DJI clip.

If any of you don't want to wait, use coupon code RMNOT15 to save 15%

I'm getting a "Page Not Found" at that URL...

-slinger

Mosleyh said:
gunslinger said:
Mosleyh said:
I just ordered one of these:

http://www.glarestomper.com/320.html

...and will let everyone know how it works on an iPhone 5s+case in the DJI clip.

If any of you don't want to wait, use coupon code RMNOT15 to save 15%

I'm getting a "Page Not Found" at that URL...

-slinger

Looks like they decided to update their website last night. Figures.

Try this link:

http://www.glarestomper.com/320

Got it... thanks ! :D

-slinger

The glare stomper works pretty well with an iPhone 5s in a rockform case. It works with the standard P2V phone clip with no problem. I'll post pix and a full write up this weekend.

Mosleyh said:
The glare stomper works pretty well with an iPhone 5s in a rockform case. It works with the standard P2V phone clip with no problem. I'll post pix and a full write up this weekend.

Awesome! Looking forward to pics

Mosleyh said:

Wow! Cool... I'd love to have a solution for this problem. So when the sun finally shows up over New England I'll be able to see the screen... in a few months, or so... (whimper) :(

Has anyone tried using one of the anti glare screen protectors to help cut down on glare along with any sunshade? I'm not a big fan of these but it might help on the iPhone or iPad. They also make a anti glare spray but the reviews on that were not very good and it's designed for TVs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc7c9n1na0U[/youtube]

If anyone wants to make a very cheap sunshade for their iPhone then consider making one from a tin foil food container. This is what you do.

1. Cut straight down from the top the side wall to the base in each of the 4 corners.
2. Flatten it out
3. Place your iPhone against the bottom of the container and fold the bottom wall up and over the screen.
4. Fold each side tight to the iPhone and flat against the screen
5. Now fold the top over against the screen so now your iPhone is totally wrapped.
6. Now you have marked some more cut lines.
7. Open it up.
8. Now cut each side inline with the base of the iPhone.
8. This allows you to fold the sides in until they are vertical.
9. Fold the base up and bend the excess in against the sides. Use some strong tape to secure both base corners.
10. Fold the top over but don't secure with tape. This becomes the adjustable hood.

Place the iPhone inside your tinfoil box and then clamp the iPhone and box in the jaws of the Tx holder. You will see that it is now very well shaded. I have just made myself a much larger shield for my Ipad.

It's not a pretty solution but its very cheap and very easy to make.

Here's my take on the glarestomper sun shade...

The glarestomper arrives in a flat postal envelope slightly larger and thicker than a standard letter. It contains the shade, a thin strip of adhesive Velcro and installation instructions:
mu8ahe8e.jpg

The shade is made of thin foam sandwiched between fabric and edged with nylon webbing. Small strips of Velcro are stitched on it at appropriate spots

pupu6yvu.jpg

u7usyza3.jpg

This is the size of the unfolded shade compared to my iPhone 5s. It will fit any phone up to 5.5" according to the instructions:

4upyryse.jpg

The adhesive Velcro is intended to be stuck around the edge of the device that will "wear" the shade. I don't plan to do that to my phone, so I had to find an alternative. Here's my solution:

Hold the shade in place with the Velcro strip attached to one side of the shade like so:
zytanu9y.jpg

... and pull the strip tightly around the phone to the other side, fastening it to the opposite Velcro strip:
9a9a8e8e.jpg

Once that's done, it can be inserted into the clip on the controller quite easily, and the clip then holds both the top of the shade and the Velcro strip tightly to the phone:
eta4umu8.jpg

The last adjustment is to make corners at the appropriate spots on the front. There's actually a strip of bendy wire sewn into the edging on that side, so the corners will hold their shape:
regapeve.jpg

Once that's done, you're ready to fly.
dy9ysepe.jpg

The shade is deep relative to the phone, so I expect it to provide excellent shade:
da7uqe9y.jpg

The one modification that I plan to make will be to stick cloth or possibly something rubbery to the Velcro strip's adhesive and cut it to the exact size that I need. In a perfect world, the strip would be elastic, but I expect it to work fine as-is.

My first reaction when I opened the package was " wow, this is pretty flimsy for $17." Having gotten it in place though, I'm very happy to have found a lightweight, apparently durable solution to my glare problem.

Thanks for that review. That looks like a great solution, and according to their sizing system they have one that will fit my Nexus 4. I shall order one forthwith, especially as they only charge $2 something for international shipping, so aren't being cheeky on that.

I might get a rubber bumper-type case for my phone and use it solely with this - I could then mount the sticky velcro to the bumper.

Ok at the risk of shame and ridicule its time to show you mine :) As I said its not pretty (but could be made so) but its really really cheap and it works.

I started with one of these

Made one of these.

I lined the highly reflective inside with a piece of black card. The iPhone is dropped into the box and then the box and the iPhone are squeezed by the clip. There is no impact upon the wifi reception.

Attachments

• Shield 01.jpg
    Shield 01.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 966
  • Shield 02.jpg
    Shield 02.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Shield 3.jpg
    Shield 3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,121
Pull_Up said:
It reminds me of Wall-E!!

I think yours is a really nice solution and the price point is perfect ;) but I do like the ability of the commercial one to be taken off, folded flat and put into my flight case as I always fly away from home.

Well you could always stomp mine flat and put it in your pocket :roll: Now do you wonder why my wife won't come flying with me anymore?

Pull_Up said:
I think stomping it flat would ruin the aesthetics!

Mmmm good point. I am going to try using some of that memory metal they recovered from the Roswell crash ..... dam I shouldn't have said that :?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj