iPhone shut down in-flight, no idea why

Reaction score
I received a Phantom 3 standard for Christmas and today was her maiden flight. We had it in the air for about 10 minutes, it was amazing, very stable, easy to maneuver, fun. Until I looked down and my iphone had shut off. I landed the drone and tried to get my phone back on with no success, it wouldn't tun back on until i plugged it in, here's the weird part, I assumed the battery had been drained, but when i plugged it in, it was still at 85%. What could cause this and how do I keep it from recurring?

Need a little more information here. What model iPhone and iOS do you have?
Generally you'll want all apps closed out and operating in airplane mode. Thank goodness you landed the drone safely.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I think the current version of DJI go is intended for iOS 9 or 10. I normally fly with an iPad mini but have used an iPhone 6 without incident

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

As a matter of interest this has happened to me with the iPhone 6S when using it with VR goggles. The cause is overheating.
Was your phone hot to the touch when it shut down?

As a matter of interest this has happened to me with the iPhone 6S when using it with VR goggles. The cause is overheating.
Was your phone hot to the touch when it shut down?

Not hot at all, I'm in Minnesota, it was only about 25*f for today's very short flight. I was half-expecting problems with the drone due to cold, but it flew great, even with no connection to dji go

What was the outdoor temp?
DJI Go is super power hungry, and a cold iPhone battery mayl mis-report it's capacity and shut down. It's so common on the 6+ Apple have issued a free repair, sadly they haven't so for the 6 yet.

For me, the critical temp is around 5C. At that or below 1 flight will use about 40% iPhone battery. Above 8C and that consumption drops to about 20%.

I keep a USB power pack in my flight case for top ups but you can of course leave it connected during flight as a battery extender.

Edit: OK, so was below freezing, so likely to be the cold battery problem.

Reactions: Demian
What was the outdoor temp?
DJI Go is super power hungry, and a cold iPhone battery mayl mis-report it's capacity and shut down. It's so common on the 6+ Apple have issued a free repair, sadly they haven't so for the 6 yet.

It was pretty cold here today about 25F, I've had issues with my phone being too cold before, so maybe that's it. I wasn't aware of the glitch, thanks!

Reactions: PaulSouthport
It's a problem with the current iPhone OS, you are not alone on this and Apple is aware of the problem. My phone lasted 15 mins at 0 degrees but when plugged in to power it read 85%.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have the same issue with my iPhone 6s Plus. It is related to the phone battery getting a little too cold.

Today my iPhone battery was at around 75pct before my 20 mins flight.

After it had dropped to 28pct. I gave the phone a reboot and it immediately showed 58pct. The same occurs if I plug it in to charge.

The temperature today was around 7C. I didn't have this problem last winter when I had an iPhone 6 Plus. I suspect it is probably a software issue.

The iPhone batteries have a short lifespan and start discharging rapidly when cold. I put in a new aftermarket battery and it's back to new again even in the cold. DL the Battery Life app to check your battery

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20