Iphone ran out of battery in mid air.

Reaction score
Hello PP guru's,

I have a question and I dk if this was asked before, I hope you dont mind. Okay, here I go...So yesterday I was flying with my new mods(ARGTek), it was freaking cold and you know that will yank out every bit of juice from the battery. So, I was flying back and all the sudden my iPhone battery died and went into shutdown mode. Good thing the sky was clear and my bird wasnt too far away, I think is like 350feet away. So, my question is what will happened if you were like 1 miles away and the battery on your iphone or Andriods die on you and cant see your bird??? Do you let it hover and try not to move around and let the battery run low and hopefully do RTH by itself? Yup, this was my question for the day.. Thank you and appreciated for any tips and help.

You should be able to toggle the left-handed switch and initiate RTH. Just flicking back-and-forth three or four times

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello PP guru's,

I have a question and I dk if this was asked before, I hope you dont mind. Okay, here I go...So yesterday I was flying with my new mods(ARGTek), it was freaking cold and you know that will yank out every bit of juice from the battery. So, I was flying back and all the sudden my iPhone battery died and went into shutdown mode. Good thing the sky was clear and my bird wasnt too far away, I think is like 350feet away. So, my question is what will happened if you were like 1 miles away and the battery on your iphone or Andriods die on you and cant see your bird??? Do you let it hover and try not to move around and let the battery run low and hopefully do RTH by itself? Yup, this was my question for the day.. Thank you and appreciated for any tips and help.
You can still fly without a phone. If I were in that position I would do an immediate RTH by pressing and holding the RTH button for a second or two.

Keep in mind that FAA rules require you to keep eyes on your UAS at all time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't know about the phantom 4K but I do know that the phantom standard does not have that dedicated RTH button on the RC. You have to do the the toggle switch on the left.

Reactions: QuadBart
You can still fly without a phone. If I were in that position I would do an immediate RTH by pressing and holding the RTH button for a second or two.

Keep in mind that FAA rules require you to keep eyes on your UAS at all time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes I was still in LOS, I can see the bird. The standard dont have that option you were referring. I think only the P3P and P3A has them.

You should be able to toggle the left-handed switch and initiate RTH. Just flicking back-and-forth three or four times

OH man, I knew it.. But everything happened soo fast.. Didnt even thought on that :( THanks man!!!

OH man, I knew it.. But everything happened soo fast.. Didnt even thought on that :( THanks man!!!
Yeah no problem. I think I read that it's much preferred to do RTH through the app but if the battery is dead, that option is there for you. I would definitely do this considering the temperatures you're operating in I wouldn't wait for the low battery to do it for you.

You start return to home by flicking the left switch at least twice and you cancel RTH by flicking right switch back and then put it back all the way forward to be in gps mode.

It works fine and the app if up and running will see it as if you pressed the RTH button on the app.

I'm going do some test next weekend. I am going shutdown entire phone while the bird somewhere in the sky. I want try RTH manually and see what's going happen. Thanks you guys.

I don't know about the phantom 4K but I do know that the phantom standard does not have that dedicated RTH button on the RC. You have to do the the toggle switch on the left.

Or shut the rc down. I know it seems drastic to just shut it down in flight, but it does initiate rth. I tested it like that, and prefer it over flipping the s2 switch up and down a bunch and then waiting to see if you flipped it enough.

Or shut the rc down. I know it seems drastic to just shut it down in flight, but it does initiate rth. I tested it like that, and prefer it over flipping the s2 switch up and down a bunch and then waiting to see if you flipped it enough.
I would respectfully disagree with you on this technique as it is unsafe. You lose all hope of control of your phantom when you power down the RC.

Reactions: QuadBart
I would respectfully disagree with you on this technique as it is unsafe. You lose all hope of control of your phantom when you power down the RC.
You've pretty much lost all hope if you get to where you have to initiate anyway. And you can turn the controller back on if and when it gets close, and it hooks right back up. I will continue to keep this practice on hand, and if I ever need RTH, I will shut down my controller. But, I understand your view.

I'm going do some test next weekend. I am going shutdown entire phone while the bird somewhere in the sky. I want try RTH manually and see what's going happen. Thanks you guys.
Actually you don't have to turn the phone off if, flip the switch, the app will display the status and the flight log will still be intact.
Remember your mobile is saving your flight log. If you power off the remote which is my last resort and it becomes back in range. You power your remote back on to control it. Your mobile device still has to connect to your remote. If it disappears before the connection is re-established that just increases the area to look for it.

Actually you don't have to turn the phone off if, flip the switch, the app will display the status and the flight log will still be intact.
Remember your mobile is saving your flight log. If you power off the remote which is my last resort and it becomes back in range. You power your remote back on to control it. Your mobile device still has to connect to your remote. If it disappears before the connection is re-established that just increases the area to look for it.
I never touched my phone when trying this, so it was on all the time, it just shut down live video feed. So I'm not sure why you would shut it down. As for the amount of area to look if it crashes or something , I always, always know what direction it's in, and most of the time, I can see at least a tiny dot. What I;m saying I guess is if it goes down far away, I have no doubt I will be able to find it. Jesus, I hope I didn't jinx myself. lol

I never touched my phone when trying this, so it was on all the time, it just shut down live video feed. So I'm not sure why you would shut it down. As for the amount of area to look if it crashes or something , I always, always know what direction it's in, and most of the time, I can see at least a tiny dot. What I;m saying I guess is if it goes down far away, I have no doubt I will be able to find it. Jesus, I hope I didn't jinx myself. lol
I guess you were agreeing with me.

There are really hard to find.

Sunday the 7th
Advanced - Grounded on Day 2. Camera Fail?

Advanced - Newbie battery question

Lost a P2V+ in July 2015
Professional - Drone lost after signal lost... What can i do ?

Anyone Using Trackers
:(

Thanks man, let me look those link up. Yah, I dont know why this time I didnt any of low power message on my phone? It always shows, I had seen it many times. Unless, it came up, but I didnt really look at the screen. Screw it next time, Im bringing my power pack with me and leave it connected to the device.

Even if your phone died and even if you did not hit rth. Once it got down to critical battery on the bird it would have returned home anyway. And once it got down to absolutely no power it would have landed. That's why the fail safe. You would have been ok. But for sure its a good idea to make sure you are all charged before flying. I think neebie mistake. I hoped you set the fail safes before taking her up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20