iphone or cheap android tablet?

Reaction score
Minneapolis Suburbs (or just outside anyway)
I am one of the holiday newbs and am looking for advice on screen for FPV. I won't have the P2V+ until next week, but am trying to make sure I have everything I need.

I finally got my wife off of iPhone, but haven't sold it yet. Should I use that (iPhone 5) or pickup a cheap android tablet? The price I can get for the iPhone via gazelle is about the same as I can pick up an Asus Android tablet, so price wise it is pretty much even. I am just wondering if the 7" tablet will be too big/heavy when using the controller.

I would go for the andriod tablet. The larger screen is a big plus.. but the biggest benefit is you can use ilovecoffee's modified app.

Will a 7" Android Tablet fit in the Phone holder? If so, what are the Android Software requirements? 4.4 required or can you get away with an earlier version of android?

A very good question !

I use an Iphone 5, but would be interested in any experience of an android tablet of say... 8" to 10" size, that is known to work?

and..... also mounting options that will fit to the controller.

Thanks

only guessing, but some 7 inch tablets might fit the holder. my galaxy tab doesn't, but the google nexus 7 is a narrower device and might do??? I would say though that a tablet with a GSM sim is best if you intend to use waypoints so you can update the map for where you are exactly.

I have a Galaxy 4 7" and you can squeeze it in but I wouldn't trust it. I've seen some holders with sun shields on flea bay. I made my own. It works better that trying to see the phone

dbfletcher said:
I would go for the andriod tablet. The larger screen is a big plus.. but the biggest benefit is you can use ilovecoffee's modified app.

The modified android app is the way to go. Havent myself, but very close.

I am using a Samsung Tab S 8.4 and/or the 10.5 depending on the setup. But I would surely go with that option larger and better quality for viewing. However you will always need a sun shield irrespective of the device. There are many options to mount it using the existing phone holder you can get from eBay the holder that will fit with the stock for either size and model. Meanwhile you can use an FPV setup and holder as shown above. In addition you may get a stand that holds almost varying sizes and has multiple connections you may find them on Amazon. Below are the options for your review and choice.

Holder for existing setup Samsung Tab S 8.4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141510159191?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Holder for existing setup Samsung Tab S 10.5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131351695245?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Amazon option (however needs small modification to the ball joint on the DJI setup)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4P ... UTF8&psc=1

Meanwhile, the eBay model is available also for other sizes and iPads. When ordering make sure you are ordering the right size for your tablet to ensure proper hold and grip. I hope this help you in making a decision.

Regards,
Sarie

Android is the better choice IMO, for a start as mentioned you can use the modified app.
Although the 7" tablet seems good, in practice it's an additional thing to carry about and keep charged, whereas most people like to have their phone with them anyway?
I find my (motoG) phone perfectly adequate, and prefer the convenience.

The controller feels decidedly unbalanced with a larger screen swinging on the back.
If going for the two items mentioned above you can mount it more centrally like this which helps.

IMG_2169.jpg

I bought a 7" "chinese" tablet on Ebay that came loaded with the DJI software. The good news is that it synced up and worked great, except for one thing. The screen is much too dim to see in daylight. Even with a shield it is very difficult to see. I used it once in the early AM to catch a sunrise and it was great, easy to see. But in daylight, not....
So, size is not everything after all.:)

That's a good point Hotrod.

Looking at some of the replies in this thread has given me the confidence to make the jump from Iphone to Android.

I now have a clear route / shopping list, that will enable me to achieve that, based on other users tried and tested options.

Thank you all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4