iPhone flight tracking - Experiment #3

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7bBbjqEC4Y

For this experiment I taped an iPhone 5 to my Phantom and used the "Map my ride" app to track the route, speed and altitude.

Overall I was pleased with the results.

This is my 3rd time flying this, at the end of the video you will see that I am definitely a beginner.

I don't have a gimbal so some parts are on the shaky side.

These quadcopters are awesome!

Regards,
Jet

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7bBbjqEC4Y[/youtube]

Fantastic. Love the part where you lost our phone...

Not sure I'd be taping my iPhone to my Phantom though.

Yeah, I don't plan on doing that again. :(

It was my own fault because I only used 2 pieces of tape to keep the "weight" down, but that doesn't even make any sense since the tape weighs practically nothing.

These Phantoms are pretty cool.

Experiment #4 is already in the works!

:D

that was one of the most fun videos ive watched. superb. thanks for taking one for the team!

Love the editing but your Macgyver skills are a little lacking ;)

Also best to avoid putting anything above the phantom especially if flying in GPS mode as this will reduce the phantoms GPS reception as thats where the GPS antenna is.

martcerv said:
Also best to avoid putting anything above the phantom especially if flying in GPS mode as this will reduce the phantoms GPS reception as thats where the GPS antenna is.

Thanks for the tip. I am definitely a "noob".

Experiment #4 is in the works.

Basically I will be taping helium balloons to the copter to reduce the load by half.

The goal is to see how battery life is affected and to see how flight performance is affected.

I am working under the assumption a "normal" balloon can lift around 14 grams.

Thus I will start with 35 balloons.

This will be done on a day where the wind is minimal.

Video to follow experiment start to finish. :lol:

Where are you going to attach the balloons? if you get a line tangled around a prop its going to end in tears. :(

But make sure you keep cameras rolling as it should make for an interesting video either way.

Quick question: Did you happen to upgrade to 3.16 before you ran your 'experiment'? I've seen some videos of people achieving much higher altitudes (accidentally, of course!) and am wondering if maybe the new firmware has a 'governor' function built-in to limit hight to 900 feet.

Jet747 said:
martcerv said:

Thanks for the tip. I am definitely a "noob".

Experiment #4 is in the works.

Basically I will be taping helium balloons to the copter to reduce the load by half.

The goal is to see how battery life is affected and to see how flight performance is affected.

I am working under the assumption a "normal" balloon can lift around 14 grams.

Thus I will start with 35 balloons.

This will be done on a day where the wind is minimal.

Video to follow experiment start to finish. :lol:

This I've got to see!
I predict you will tangle lines and burn out some motors (the Phantom will ascend MUCH faster than the ballons), and that any lateral or descending movments will use more battery to compensate for the drag of 35 balloons.
But I want to see it!

I didnt notice any union labor in your short. Three guys standing there next to that tree drinking coffee would have saved your cameras glass! :lol:

ekai said:
Quick question: Did you happen to upgrade to 3.16 before you ran your 'experiment'? I've seen some videos of people achieving much higher altitudes (accidentally, of course!) and am wondering if maybe the new firmware has a 'governor' function built-in to limit hight to 900 feet.

I haven't done any upgrades to firmware yet because I have a Mac and haven't taken the time to figure out how to install the software. I simply opened the box and started flying.

GoodnNuff said:
This I've got to see!
I predict you will tangle lines and burn out some motors (the Phantom will ascend MUCH faster than the ballons), and that any lateral or descending movments will use more battery to compensate for the drag of 35 balloons.
But I want to see it!

Good point sir. ;)

I will try to figure out how to firm up the line(s) holding the balloons. Maybe some starch or something. I haven't drafted any drawings yet but I am thinking one line taped to the center of the Phantom then a bunch of balloons. Wal-Mart sells a cheap helium balloon tank so that is the route I am going to go for now.

It could perform better if instead a main unique line you use something rigid joined to phantom top as a thin balsa pole, and then join it to the globes lines. That will keep the lines away from the propelers.. ;)

I will try to figure out how to firm up the line(s) holding the balloons. Maybe some starch or something. I haven't drafted any drawings yet but I am thinking one line taped to the center of the Phantom then a bunch of balloons. Wal-Mart sells a cheap helium balloon tank so that is the route I am going to go for now

Tie the balloons around the Phantom body and secure the strings through a carbon fiber tube - the balloons will hold the tube in a vertical positition and if centered over the body, away from the props (don't know what will happen as you ascend though).

I suggest you get Parallels for your Mac so you can calibrate your Phantom - otherwise you run the risk of the copter malfunctioning and you lose it (uncontrolled fly-away) or crash it. They need to be calibrated every so often.

Good luck with your experiment!

I have my popcorn ready for your next video

Id love to see you try and explain your flyaway to DJI if you use too many balloons and lose complete control of the phantom, it doesn't do reverse lift so if it doesn't want to come down in a thermal or something then you better have a way of popping those balloons.

I do love crazy experiments, it would be awesome if you had another person with a quad to get some aerial shots of your flight test.

I would think about an elastic cord to attach balloons, would reduce chance of cord getting caught in a blades, especially on accent. Can't want to see it, good luck!! You may need it.

Balloons!! Seriously!!? Please, please hurry up with experiment #4, I have to see this one :). I don't even think my mind could have thought up an experiment like that, I just have no clue how you will actually do it with success. You would have to have some sort of tube or something to enclose the strings for a few inches above the top of the Phantom to avoid a mess with the rotors, just don't use the same tape as with the iphone 5, or use lots more of it! :). Best of luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4