iPhone 6s or iPad Air 2

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Im a Phantom 4 owner and been getting on great with my iPhone 6s but I have a iPad Air 2 but without cellular.

Which is better in terms of power? I fancy the screen size on the iPad but with no GPS on the iPad is that a problem? I know I can tether from my iPhone for internet but not GPS.

Cheers.

Do you need to use the Follow Me feature in DJI GO or manually reset your home point to your current location after takeoff? If not, then you won't need GPS on your mobile device.

Not really, i was wanting to buy either the Litchi or Autopilot program as I would like to take advantage of the waypoints features in them.

I have a 6+ but the display is still quite small.

In the end I settled with an iPad mini 4 wifi, you need to cache the maps for your area before you go out the door, it works great. (can't tether due to network provider :-( )

Ipad air maybe a bit big (and heavy) for the mount, though some swear by it.

When I fly a couple of batteries my drain on device is around 15%

Reactions: waring192
Cool Cool, thanks for the advice.

Do I cash the maps in the app's or in the actual apple maps app?

In the app itself.
Make sure the option is on in settings

I also use fps camera and cache another set of maps in there.

Reactions: waring192
One more question for this older thread. So If I don't have a cellular ipad, and I don't cache the maps, then in the GO app "flight data mode", it will only show the flight lines on a grid when played back, and not the actual actual GPS map?

For example, currently when I playback in flight data mode with my iphone, I get the full "google maps" experience. If I get an ipad air 2 because I want the bigger screen but it doesn't have cellular, then I can expect to not see the map. I'm ok with that, I just want to clarify the point.

Thanks,

Can you use your 6s as a WiFi hot spot? I use both my iPad and note 4 depending on the circumstances. I love the larger screen of my ipad when not doing follow me ect. Phone is compact and less cumbersome.

Can you use your 6s as a WiFi hot spot? I use both my iPad and note 4 depending on the circumstances. I love the larger screen of my ipad when not doing follow me ect. Phone is compact and less cumbersome.

Tethering is dependent on your network provider.

Yes, I can use my phone as a hotspot, but it is a company provided phone and they frown on that considerably. I don't want to get into hot water with my employer.

I believe I will go out and get an Ipad air 2 without cellular because I do not use follow me nor reset home point. I'll just have to cache the maps if I want to see where I've been on playback in flight data mode.

I started out with an iPhone 6, then used a Mini 2, now I use an Air 2. The phone was ok, but too small, and well, it's my phone. The Mini 2 was fine with a sun shade, good size screen. The Air 2 is the best yet, as far as speed, visibility in sunlight, and screen size. I added it to my phone plan for only $10 a month. With the non cell version, caching maps is simple and effective. My Mini 2 was non cell, I added an external Garmin Glo Gps.

Yes, I can use my phone as a hotspot, but it is a company provided phone and they frown on that considerably. I don't want to get into hot water with my employer.

I believe I will go out and get an Ipad air 2 without cellular because I do not use follow me nor reset home point. I'll just have to cache the maps if I want to see where I've been on playback in flight data mode.

If I remember correctly you will be able to see the map on playback if you're connected to wifi. The Phantom has GPS so it knows where it is & the background maps should load when you connect to wifi after the flight. It's been awhile since I did this but pretty sure that's how it worked.

Reactions: Great_Lakes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers