iPhone 6 less likely to overheat than an iPad Mini 2?

Reaction score
I've always used an iPad Mini 2 as my FPV and it works great. that is until I fly in the afternoon where its usually in the mid to high 90s here in the Orlando, FL area. that's when the FPV quickly begins to go whacko and I have to stop flying because I depend on FPV when I fly my aircraft.

So I'm wondering if my iPhone 6 Plus would be less likely to overheat than my iPad Mini 2? Yeah, it would stink having to use a smaller screened device but it'd be worth it if my FPV is dependable even in hotter weather.

Yes, a current generation iPhone is much less likely to overheat than an iPad Mini 2/3 while running the Pilot app. An iPad Air will also handle the load better when it's hot. The big difference is the device's CPU, which is an area where the Mini lags behind.

Either way, avoid direct sunlight on the phone/tablet if possible. That makes a big difference in my experience.

Reactions: Oso and bobmyers
I quit using my mini 3 and air 2 in favor for my iPhone 6. Never overheats . But i don't use hardware decode either., no need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No apple of android device is designed to run in 90 degree heat. Most have a max air operating temp of 85 to 95 degrees. Most devices list this spec online.

I live in Texas, and the iPhone 6+ and iPad mini 2 both over heat. I put a wet sponge behind them both and it helps to keep them cool. You just have to make sure you have them clamped on real good or they can pop off and drop on the ground since the wet sponge adds some thickness, but it works real good to keep them cool. It also helps if you fly from a shady spot.

I've always used an iPad Mini 2 as my FPV and it works great. that is until I fly in the afternoon where its usually in the mid to high 90s here in the Orlando, FL area. that's when the FPV quickly begins to go whacko and I have to stop flying because I depend on FPV when I fly my aircraft.

So I'm wondering if my iPhone 6 Plus would be less likely to overheat than my iPad Mini 2? Yeah, it would stink having to use a smaller screened device but it'd be worth it if my FPV is dependable even in hotter weather.
I live in Orlando too and I use both the iPhone 6 Plus and the iPad air 2 with no problems. I fly in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon....

I use my 6+ in NC heat/humidity with no issues and it's in a closed back case using hardware decode. It gets warm, but haven't had an overheat situation... yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers